Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I NEED HELP! Speakers all to big for batwing

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019 | 08:32 PM
tyoungbauer
|
Stage IV
Default I NEED HELP! Speakers all to big for batwing

Hi All,

I need some guidance. I have a vector batwing fairing for my switchback. It has 6x9 speaker openings but I cannot find a speaker that fits. I don't want to cut the fiberglass. None of them fit in from the front. Do I need to mount them from the inside? I think I can do thiat without to many issues, but then none of the grills sit flush. They all seem a bit to big. I could slide it down but then the bottom edge will be just a bit below the lowest edge of the fairing. Other option would be trying to grind the back top edge down of the grill so it fits at the top of the fairing ridge. Not sure that would be a challenge to get the contour right.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-10-2019 | 11:08 PM
Ndfastln
Road Master

I had to do the second option on a few grills to fit aftermarket fairings, most have a lip that hides the edge of the grill.

Old 04-11-2019 | 09:19 AM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I just put their fairing on my wife's sportster. It is a lot smaller than a regular aftermarket bat wing. I did have to grind out the inner fairing to get some 6.5's in there.tape it up and carefully make the hole larger.

If you mount them from inside the fairing you may be limited to what speaker fit as the depth may become a issue.

Juice

Old 04-11-2019 | 06:12 PM
tyoungbauer
|
Stage IV

AWESOME!!!

The 4th set of speakers showed up today. They fit in the front side and will just need a little sanding on the top to go all the way in. It is almost flush without doing anything. If I use the extra ring I don't have to do anything. The grill also fits and has space all the way around the ring, so they look good on the fairing. These were also marine grade and came with sound damping mats. They are Polk DB692. I will post a pic after they are in.

Now I have to send back all the others. Thank god for free return shipping. LOL.

Thanks