Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need system recommendations for my '18 RGS

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 06:53 PM
WSDuke
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need system recommendations for my '18 RGS

Long time reader, first time poster. I've spent months and countless hours researching what I'm asking here. I have a tremendous amount of respect for all of you audio savants who share your trials and tribulations in your never ending quest for auditory euphoria. So here's my situation/expectations from my system. I have a 2018 RGS. I have an Advanblack tour pack in route to match the Bonneville salt pearl paint. I also got a good deal on some tour pack pods that will accommodate 6.5 speakers. I plan to keep the stock HU. I'd like to keep the budget below $1,000, everything else is wide open. I've kicked around several ideas, thought about the BT 4180 amp, putting DB WDX6.5moto-g2 in the fairing and a set of Arc Moto 602s in the pods for a little low end punch but the sensitivity between them is miles apart so it might not balance out. Thought maybe the DD AW6.5 in the fairing and B30 tweets in the grill with a complementary set in the pods. Mmats? Maybe. Just want clean, loud with a little thump and I'm happy. Easy right? Show me the way gurus. Thank you in advance for your advice and assistance.

Old 04-03-2019, 01:06 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

First I would think twice about the bt4180 amp as it has no gain adjustments or filter adjustments. Once in play, what you hear is what you get and there is no way to tune it. Especially with wdx and arc motos in play. If you plan on keeping the boom hu then you will need a bt355 or 2 of them if fade control is in play. I wouldn't recommend a dsp for just 4 speakers. I have not heard the new wdx motos both they have a good review. As for the arc 602's, they are fragile as I have blown 2 sets of those as others have too. If you do a search on them here you will find both raving reviews and people looking to buy just one as one has blown on them.

Old 04-03-2019, 02:24 AM
WSDuke
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you gypsye. That was a concern of mine with that amp. Warranty and CS being the upside. The durability of the arc moto 602s was also of concern. That epic video of Bunker's 2 speaker moto 602s has probably sold as many speakers for them as any marketing they could've done. They should be paying him. Just sayin'. I've only seen the one review from softpeter on the WDX6.5MOTO-G2. Have heard good things about the originals but that they can be very bright. Was hoping the new design would address those concerns. Any recommendations on a one and done amp? A set it and forget it type?

Old 04-03-2019, 05:37 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
I wouldn't recommend a dsp for just 4 speakers.
IMHO, the need for a DSP w a Boom HO is not usually based on how many speakers but more so what speakers are in play. If u get the WDX, get a DSP. If u run pro audio speakers, get a DSP cause if u don't have the capability to properly bandpass & tune them, they can sound like **** in a hurry.

T

Old 04-03-2019, 05:42 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by WSDuke
Any recommendations on a one and done amp? A set it and forget it type?
Focal Sport. Small chassis and tons of watts for the footprint. 2 of them lil NVX VADP amps are great for an RG regarding the space issues and u will never run out of watts.

The Biketronics Hertz 1650 RG Speakers is a very damn solid play thus mirror your selection off of that and ur in great shape.

But ur well over ur budget in a hurry as one and done with some of the lower tier stuff just ain't gonna happen.

T

Last edited by Tailwind; 04-03-2019 at 05:50 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:19 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

With your budget, that focal sport and a dsp will eat it up in a hurry. I ran a focal for a while and with a boom hu and line levelers in play, it just didn't produce the SQ that I liked. It has a ton of power but is bright and very precise. Not sure what speakers will fit in your new TP as I don't run one of those either. With the wdx being bright, it will be better suited from the rear as that brightness can be heard better in the rear at speed. Those hertz 1650's are damn good SQ but will eat your budget just for them.

I am currently running a stinger spx 700.4 amp and couldn't be happier. It is loud, warm easy to install and easy to tune. You will need a amp install wire kit regardless of what amp you get. For your speakers just research some that are weather resistant for the TP as they will be in direct contact to rain when riding. Those wdx fit that requirement but again not sure they will fit in the TP. My go to speaker for the fairing has been the hertz hcx
's as they are a solid performer and are bullet proof. Although I haven't heard the new mmats pa 6.5 coax, I am currently running the mmats 6x9 coax in my lids and they are just loud as hell and really pound. Others that have tried the new mmats pa 6.5 coax have rated them well.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:54 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

WS, with your budget, I would ck out the Audio for sale section....there is a pair of WDX6 motos for sale (pg 2) an Arc 600.4 and a Neo 4 (125 rms @ 4ohm), BT7.1 (which I like)! Sound Stream 1000D is a good cheaper amp, TG like his Stinger 700/4, There is also a complete BT system by ChicagoFireFighter over there, all good bang for the buck! MMats speaker seem to be loud and clear from people who use them and usually priced right...good luck and welcome to the forum!

Old 04-03-2019, 11:38 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Gypsye, you keep saying the Focal Sport is "bright" but I'm just not picking up what ur laying down. What speakers were u running? Could it be that it's clean power w lots of watts? Which is kind of a sled prerequisite.
More than likely the speaker & amp combo?

Just curious brother.

T

Old 04-03-2019, 11:56 AM
FrenchieM
Road Warrior
Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Gypsye, you keep saying the Focal Sport is "bright" but I'm just not picking up what ur laying down. What speakers were u running? Could it be that it's clean power w lots of watts? Which is kind of a sled prerequisite.

Just curious brother.

T
Kind of wondering the same thing. The Focal is a beast on power for sure and I absolutely love mine
Hertz are bright speakers and there in may lie the issue.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:52 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tailwind

Just curious brother.

T
I cant remember all the speakers I ran with the focal but I can remember polks mm's, hertz hcx, mpx 6.5's, kappa's wdx motos, were some. Granted it was off the boom and a LL at the time also so that was a factor. I did an amp comparison with the focal and tm 400 using the same speakers (wdx I think) and the tm 400 sounded warmer to my old ears as it did others here too. Now that I have the sony hu and pa style speakers, the focal sport could be another option to try again. Don't get me wrong, that focal is a beast on power and with dsp it probably can be tamed to sound good. At the time I was using it, the tm 400 just sounded warmer to me.

Quick Reply: Need system recommendations for my '18 RGS