Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade audio on 2016 cvo Street glide

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 12:45 PM
1roadking
Tourer
Received 143 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Upgrade audio on 2016 cvo Street glide

I am looking for some input on upgrading my audio in my 2016 cvo Street Glide. I’m thinking about adding speakers in lowers, replacing the bag and fairing speakers plus a new amp. I’ve priced out Soundz and Biketronics and was leaning toward Soundz but have seen a lot of input on the forum about being able to get better quality for less or same $$. I have a very good installer locally that can install and set up everything if I buy my own. I am looking for the high end high volume sound and don’t want to cheap out. I don’t want to lose bag space so I’m thinking about staying with 5x7 in the bags. All input is appreciated.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:43 PM
Wam
Tourer
Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

When I get home I will post a video on Facebook of the system Soundz did for me with 6×9's in the lids. I have a ton of base and it's so loud now I can't stand to ride with it much over half volume.

I think there's going to be a few on here that's going to be shocked when it blows away some.��

Old 03-12-2019, 10:36 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Wam
I think there's going to be a few on here that's going to be shocked when it blows away some.��

Old 03-12-2019, 10:44 PM
Wam
Tourer

Originally Posted by SBates08
Just wait, I plan on meeting Alex tomorrow and he can be the judge of this little system now. Had a few today that attend most of the competitions say it's top notch and not only is it as loud that's clearer than anything they have heard. I don't know but I will be there to hear myself.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:18 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by 1roadking
I am looking for some input on upgrading my audio in my 2016 cvo Street Glide. I’m thinking about adding speakers in lowers, replacing the bag and fairing speakers plus a new amp. I’ve priced out Soundz and Biketronics and was leaning toward Soundz but have seen a lot of input on the forum about being able to get better quality for less or same $$. I have a very good installer locally that can install and set up everything if I buy my own. I am looking for the high end high volume sound and don’t want to cheap out. I don’t want to lose bag space so I’m thinking about staying with 5x7 in the bags. All input is appreciated.
First, stay far away from J&M setups as they are just way over priced for what you get. They will get loud but the SQ just isn't there. I have not heard a sinister setup but people who have them swear by them. Second, no 5x7 speaker will give you the sound of a good 6x9. Just the nature of the beast. AHB makes an adaptor to put 6x9's in a stock cvo lid.
https://www.americanhardbag.com/coll...y-speaker-lids

I personally like the hertz sv's in the lowers as they don't need a lot of power to sound good, don't require modification to fit and are loud. Fairing speakers are a personal choice depending on what you want and listening preference. Tweeters/horns can be done in the fairing grill or where the mirrors are now. Again my personal preference are beyma ast-50 or sql-60's. These little horns produce highs without any harshness and can be tamed easily. They also don't require a lot of power to get loud. mmats pa 690's are a solid choice for 6x9's in the lids as they are a pa style speaker that also doesn't require a lot of power. Hertz mpx 690's are also a good choice with some of the best SQ from a 6x9.

As far as amps, I am a fan of the jl amps and stinger. I am currently running the stinger with a new nvx micro amp in the cubby hole to power the lowers.

Since you have a cvo, your boom HU may already have the flash needed for adding an aftermarket amp since it has an amp in play anyway. I'm not sure on that as I have not "converted" a cvo yet.

Some food for thought.

The following users liked this post:
JHC210 (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 05:41 AM
JHC210
Club Member
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
First, stay far away from J&M setups as they are just way over priced for what you get. They will get loud but the SQ just isn't there. I have not heard a sinister setup but people who have them swear by them. Second, no 5x7 speaker will give you the sound of a good 6x9. Just the nature of the beast. AHB makes an adaptor to put 6x9's in a stock cvo lid.
https://www.americanhardbag.com/coll...y-speaker-lids

I personally like the hertz sv's in the lowers as they don't need a lot of power to sound good, don't require modification to fit and are loud. Fairing speakers are a personal choice depending on what you want and listening preference. Tweeters/horns can be done in the fairing grill or where the mirrors are now. Again my personal preference are beyma ast-50 or sql-60's. These little horns produce highs without any harshness and can be tamed easily. They also don't require a lot of power to get loud. mmats pa 690's are a solid choice for 6x9's in the lids as they are a pa style speaker that also doesn't require a lot of power. Hertz mpx 690's are also a good choice with some of the best SQ from a 6x9.

As far as amps, I am a fan of the jl amps and stinger. I am currently running the stinger with a new nvx micro amp in the cubby hole to power the lowers.

Since you have a cvo, your boom HU may already have the flash needed for adding an aftermarket amp since it has an amp in play anyway. I'm not sure on that as I have not "converted" a cvo yet.

Some food for thought.
I was told that I would have to modify the lower speaker pods for the Hertz SV's to fit but you are saying they don't require modification to fit in the pods? I was going to get the Hertz SV's but looking to get the Mmats now. Set up: BT 4180 and 7.1's in the fairing and ?? in the lowers.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:02 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by JHC210
I was told that I would have to modify the lower speaker pods for the Hertz SV's to fit but you are saying they don't require modification to fit in the pods? I was going to get the Hertz SV's but looking to get the Mmats now. Set up: BT 4180 and 7.1's in the fairing and ?? in the lowers.
I guess it depends on what lowers you have. I bought some cheap ones off ebay and the sv's dropped right in. I haven't heard the new mmats pa 6.5's but if they are aay thing like the new pa690's they will rock for sure.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:32 AM
FrenchieM
Road Warrior
Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Wam
Just wait, I plan on meeting Alex tomorrow and he can be the judge of this little system now. Had a few today that attend most of the competitions say it's top notch and not only is it as loud that's clearer than anything they have heard. I don't know but I will be there to hear myself.
We all are patiently waiting. Also has anyone ever said to someone get your
system sounds like ****. Nope never so anyone saying it sounds good may just being
polite. Also if they have been to all these comps I’m sure they have heard clearer. Just saying

Old 03-13-2019, 09:42 AM
FrenchieM
Road Warrior
Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by 1roadking
I second on staying away from J and M. And I myself haven’t heard Soundz but pricey and you don’t know
what your getting for speakers as they have no specs. Most of these top tier speakers are close in volume and sound quality.
It comes down to the tuning. I like the PRV line and Crescendo. Yes PRVs need a little help to fit in the lowers
but you could look at Timpano line for 6.5s in lowers they are a shallow speaker and sound great in that location. I am running B3 horns in Fairing grills as well. I would go 6x9 in lids as well the DD VO 6x9 will give you some good bass with enough power. Keep doing your research figure out what’s the end game as you want to spend money once not twice. Amp/s choice will be important as well.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:53 AM
Wam
Tourer

Originally Posted by FrenchieM
We all are patiently waiting. Also has anyone ever said to someone get your
system sounds like ****. Nope never so anyone saying it sounds good may just being
polite. Also if they have been to all these comps I’m sure they have heard clearer. Just saying
What I don't understand is why, some of y'all can't believe that the Soundz stuff is top quality, ( if you buy their top stuff). But anyway the proof is here and I will show it. Yes you can spend less or more and is doesn't guarantee that what you will get. But I see at the competitions that they burn a lot of stuff and anyone can make it sound good for a minute, but how about hours and hours?????

Quick Reply: Upgrade audio on 2016 cvo Street glide