Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairing only system - Currently happy but needing just a tad more

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 09:35 PM
uwiik
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Fairing only system - Currently happy but needing just a tad more

Hi all,
I am running Hertz MLK 1650.3 components fully active with Hertz H8 DSP powered by Ground Zero Micro Four on bridge for the woofers and Focal FD350 for the tweeters, head unit is stock Boom 6.5 but I have Sony AX5000 yet to be installed. I am extremely happy with the sound quality, bass thump, clarity and everything else. The local audio tuner did a mighty awesome job that on the right speed and volume I could swear all of the speakers feels like those are installed right inside my helmet wrapping my head entirely in immersive sweet, warm and crystal clear sound. I just need it just a tad louder. Don't get me wrong, the volume is acceptable even with full face helmet at 70, I listen at 3 bars before max volume but the produced volume is just right at borderline with no more headroom to spare, especially after my recent S&S T124 and 2-1 SS shortie pipe upgrades. What I mean by borderline is that I could use just a tiny weeny bit more volume when I am doing constant 70, I can still hear the music well at 70 but not at the clarity and definition I would like it to be like when I am riding at 50-60. I rarely go beyond 70 and when I am doing 80-90 that is always because I am fun racing the next guy anyway, so naturally when fun racing I don't listen to music at all and fully focus on the road instead, all other time I have no need nor desire to go beyond 70, so I am NOT looking for anything significantly louder at all.

I am considering below three options ONLY, so please do not suggest any other options, not because I don't appreciate your suggestions on the contrary this forum is what I trust the most, it is because I have spent more than $5000 on buying and replacing audio on my sled only to end up with something that could've cost me less than $2000 if I was prudent from the get go and I am not going down to that black hole again because by nature I am not a prudent guy at all..LOL!
- install the AX5000 I already have on hand, replace the tweeters to Beyma SQL60 compression/horns and keep everything else as it is
- install the AX5000 I already have on hand, replace Hertz components speakers to Beyma 6CX200ND/N Pro Coaxial and keep everything else as it is
- install the AX5000 I already have on hand, replace Hertz components speakers to Faital 6HX150 Pro Coaxial and keep everything else as it is

Thanks for the suggestion guys/gals 👍👍👍

Last edited by uwiik; 03-09-2019 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:52 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

Both of your options will change the sound produced to something you may not be as happy with. Would you consider lowers to complement what you already have?

Old 03-09-2019, 09:57 PM
uwiik
Tourer

Originally Posted by InthewindMN
Both of your options will change the sound produced to something you may not be as happy with. Would you consider lowers to complement what you already have?
Why do you think I might not be as happy with different speakers? Do you think the produced sound quality from the alternatives will be much lower than the Hertz MLK? I have to admit the sound quality from the Hertz is astonishing for what it is. Definitely hundred times better than my much more expensive previous Focal K2 Power.
I do not want to weight down my bike further, I don't like speed, speed terrifies me, but I love to trash my bike around very tight corners so I need my bike to be slim and lighter, the reason I also do not want to install my rear lid speakers although I already have the speaker lids purchased and painted. I also live in Indonesia where it is summer weather all year round, lower fairing is a big no no here, it also wouldn't look right on a tall and slim road glide built for tackling the twisties.

Last edited by uwiik; 03-09-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:01 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by uwiik
Why do you think I might not be as happy with different speakers? Do you think the produced sound quality from the alternatives will be much lower than the Hertz MLK? I have to admit the sound quality from the Hertz is astonishing for what it is. Definitely hundred times better than my much more expensive previous Focal K2 Power.
i haven’t used either so honestly I can’t say. I’m not implying one will be better quality than the other but maybe different. If you’re happy with the sound you have just add a little fill with lowers or lids.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:07 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member

Another option is to try changing your dsp tune to strengthen the mids a little so it comes thru more at speed.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:09 PM
uwiik
Tourer

i haven’t used either so honestly I can’t say. I’m not implying one will be better quality than the other but maybe different. If you’re happy with the sound you have just add a little fill with lowers or lids.
You are right, there is a risk I won't like the sound quality of the alternatives considering how awesome the MLK is, but really additional lower or lids are out of my consideration right now. Perhaps if I just replace the tweeters to Beyma SQL60 I won't risk much change on the sound quality department while getting more volume?

Old 03-09-2019, 10:13 PM
uwiik
Tourer

Another option is to try changing your dsp tune to strengthen the mids a little so it comes thru more at speed.
The guy who tuned my DSP did it with Arai full face helmet on his head the whole time. The whole system sounds like metal grinding factory without helmet on but sounds like heaven with helmet on, so I think my setup is already emphasizing on mid-high right now.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:39 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Go with the Beyma SQL60.

If u still need more after that then pivot to the Beyma 6G, the Beyma 6P200ND or the Beyma Pro 6Q200ND.

T

Old 03-10-2019, 05:42 AM
uwiik
Tourer

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Go with the Beyma SQL60.

If u still need more after that then pivot to the Beyma 6G, the Beyma 6P200ND or the Beyma Pro 6Q200ND.

T
Sounds like a legit advice T

Old 03-10-2019, 05:51 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Go with the Beyma SQL60.

T
I agree with the sql's being damn fine horn/tweeter. Although the 6p200's will be louder than the mlk's my old ears like the sq from the ml's better. I don't have a dsp and that might make it better to tune those 6p200's but for me anyway, the ml series have just damn good SQ. Just not as loud.

Before you change speakers out, put the sony in and you will find a huge difference in SQ just from the HU swap.

Last edited by travelingypsye; 03-10-2019 at 05:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Fairing only system - Currently happy but needing just a tad more