Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road king audio redux x100

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 02:18 PM
Leverlution
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Road king audio redux x100

I know this comes up a lot. Looking at finishing some work on my RKS before the season hits. I was pretty set on finding a local shop to do hard lowers with speaker pods, and bag lids, and be done with it. I keep reading that bag lid speakers arent audible on the highway, and hard lowers by themselves arent loud enough. Are there any other options besides just using headphones plugged into a sena? Not looking for a fairing. Thanks

Old 03-04-2019, 09:27 AM
joeyvaz
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 2018 Road King Special. My system consists of the following:

Lowers with DD VO-MN6.5 6.5"and B3 horn tweeters
Lids with DD VO-M6x9 speakers with DD B3 in the American Hardbag horn mounting kit
Bags have Ground Zero GZCK 200SPL 8" yellow basket in each at the rears in American Hardbag Aggressor Pro 80 kit
(2) Sound Digital 800.4D amps
DD DSI-2 DSP running off Bluetooth to my phone.

I can tell you that it took some creativity to get the front horns to mount up, but once done looks killer. And the bike surprises a lot people since I have a non fairing/non tour pack ride. For ME, it's more than enough to hear at highway speeds, but around 75-80, wind noise takes over with no fairing or windshield. I'm contemplating going with a second GZ in each bag or swapping to a 10", but that will wait until after Daytona. I'm just leaving well enough for now...(Famous last words. LOL)

Old 03-04-2019, 09:52 AM
Leverlution
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the response man! I know Road king is a hard bike for audio and gets overlooked a lot. That sounds like a killer set up. Really I just want something clean and loud enough for the highway on trips when I'm not in the mood for headphones. I spend too much time with them in my ears off the bike.

Been reading a lot of people saying 6x9s in the back dont help much at speed. I'm wondering if the front lowers with two 6.5s, maybe another tweeter in each, would be enough by itself. And where to tuck a bluetooth amp while keeping the bags waterproof / not melt clothes and waterproof gear!

Originally Posted by joeyvaz
I have a 2018 Road King Special. My system consists of the following:

Lowers with DD VO-MN6.5 6.5"and B3 horn tweeters
Lids with DD VO-M6x9 speakers with DD B3 in the American Hardbag horn mounting kit
Bags have Ground Zero GZCK 200SPL 8" yellow basket in each at the rears in American Hardbag Aggressor Pro 80 kit
(2) Sound Digital 800.4D amps
DD DSI-2 DSP running off Bluetooth to my phone.

I can tell you that it took some creativity to get the front horns to mount up, but once done looks killer. And the bike surprises a lot people since I have a non fairing/non tour pack ride. For ME, it's more than enough to hear at highway speeds, but around 75-80, wind noise takes over with no fairing or windshield. I'm contemplating going with a second GZ in each bag or swapping to a 10", but that will wait until after Daytona. I'm just leaving well enough for now...(Famous last words. LOL)