Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hertz SV 165 vs HCX 165

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 12:29 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by JHC210
How are the Mmatts with the 4180 and 7.1's? I may go that route given I don't want to mod my speaker pods.
I really like them. I spent a few hours in the garage the other evening after work, just doing some cleaning and reorganizing. I know I need to get them broken in and usually that's about 4 hours of medium volume. So, I got my iTunes going and spent some time tweaking the EQ settings on the head unit.

At about half volume, they sound great. There were a couple times I ran the volume up pretty high and I was sitting on the bike with ear plugs in. Just for grins, I pulled the plugs and couldn't believe how loud it was. At higher volumes they were pretty damn impressive. Combined with the BT 7P1 Pros and the 4180, I'm stoked with the set up. One of the first things I told one of my riding buddies was that I wish I had skipped lids and done lowers right off the bat.

My garage is fully insulated with insulated doors too. I went out into my driveway and with the garage completely closed up, it was still damn loud. When my wife came home from work, she thought the music she heard was my garage stereo. She was surprised when I told her it was the bike.

Anyway, all that to say, I'm digging the Mmatts. I know lots of guys like to buy stuff and run it, then try something new, but I doubt I'll ever do that with these. They bring so much to the front stage and I can't see myself replacing them.

I've read that the PRVs you found are louder but I can't even imagine what that would be like.

I just don't see the need to pull out these speakers to spend another $200 on the PRVs.

Last edited by Redbeard719; 03-07-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:09 PM
JHC210
Club Member
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks. Good information. I think I will go this route.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:07 PM
JHC210
Club Member
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
I really like them. I spent a few hours in the garage the other evening after work, just doing some cleaning and reorganizing. I know I need to get them broken in and usually that's about 4 hours of medium volume. So, I got my iTunes going and spent some time tweaking the EQ settings on the head unit.

At about half volume, they sound great. There were a couple times I ran the volume up pretty high and I was sitting on the bike with ear plugs in. Just for grins, I pulled the plugs and couldn't believe how loud it was. At higher volumes they were pretty damn impressive. Combined with the BT 7P1 Pros and the 4180, I'm stoked with the set up. One of the first things I told one of my riding buddies was that I wish I had skipped lids and done lowers right off the bat.

My garage is fully insulated with insulated doors too. I went out into my driveway and with the garage completely closed up, it was still damn loud. When my wife came home from work, she thought the music she heard was my garage stereo. She was surprised when I told her it was the bike.

Anyway, all that to say, I'm digging the Mmatts. I know lots of guys like to buy stuff and run it, then try something new, but I doubt I'll ever do that with these. They bring so much to the front stage and I can't see myself replacing them.

I've read that the PRVs you found are louder but I can't even imagine what that would be like.

I just don't see the need to pull out these speakers to spend another $200 on the PRVs.
Redbeard. I am new to understanding RMS, watts, ohms and ???? But can the Mmats handle the power from the 4180? Mmats show 75 wrms and 150 Watts program power. I assume they will as you are using but trying to understand. SV 165's are 200 rms and they are supposed to be one of the best for the lowers but I don't want to mod my pods.
. .

Old 03-11-2019, 02:10 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by JHC210
Redbeard. I am new to understanding RMS, watts, ohms and ???? But can the Mmats handle the power from the 4180? Mmats show 75 wrms and 150 Watts program power. I assume they will as you are using but trying to understand. SV 165's are 200 rms and they are supposed to be one of the best for the lowers but I don't want to mod my pods.
. .

I wish I could explain it myself but admittedly I'm not the most knowledgeable on this subject. I know that the amp is rated for 180 RMS @ 4ohms. Since I am not running additional speakers in parallel on any of the amp channels, I made sure I got the 601.4 Mmatts, since they're rated at 4ohms. I haven't measured, but I don't believe the amp is truly putting out 180w RMS. I have seen threads before that the BT amps are dialed back just accommodate the lifetime warranty. But, I haven't seen that with any diagnostics tools personally.

As for watts, I see what you mean and had the same concern. Those speakers were recommended here and there are several riders that have or had them with equally as strong amps as the BT4180.

I don't expect any issues with blowing these speakers with the 4180. My head unit does have the option to cross the front/rear channels individually, so I have the rear channel high-pass-filter set to 100 right now. After some break-in, I may drop that to 80.

Hopefully someone that can explain it better than I can sees your question and can clear it up. I don't know what the 150 watts program power means from Mmatts' specs.