Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for the local experts' opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 06:43 PM
bottomgun
Intermediate
Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looking for the local experts' opinions

Hi, all.

Like many others, I am thankful for all of the info this great forum provides. I have a 2012 Ultra that currently has a 8 speaker Boom audio system (stock HK HU) that I had installed when I bought the bike new (I didn't know any better at the time). It has worked well enough for me but I hate that when I remove the tour pak I lose the entire system because one of the amps is mounted underneath it. I got through the Bluetooth issue with a cheap receiver that plugged into the aux jack but almost always forgot to charge it before I hit the road. At some point last year I got water into the HU while I was washing the bike (didn't have the CD door shut) rendering the display unreadable. I had planned on going through Iron Cross to get the HU fixed and also get the BT receiver added but once I priced that out it became apparent that it would be the perfect time to do what I really wanted with the stereo system. I have read a ton of posts on this site over the last few days and I think I have come up with a plan. And few questions.

I am going to go with a 6 speaker system that includes a new HU, amps, and speakers in the fairing, lowers, and saddle bags. As much as I would like to upgrade the current saddle bag lids to 6x9's, I am already deep into this and will save that upgrade for a later date and stick with the 5x7's for now. Here's what I have put together based on info gathered from may research:

Fairing: Hertz HCX 165.5's
Lowers: Hertz SV 165.1's
Saddle Bags: Hertz ECX 570.5's
Amp (Fairing and lowers): SS PN4.1000D
AMP (Saddlebags): SS PN2.350D
HU: Not sure yet. The MEX-GS620BT GS was recommended to a few but I'm not sure that's what I will choose. I started this journey with the Aquatics AV HU as a starting point but the cost is high. And I can get similar features for much less on many other HU's.
- I will get all the ancillary stuff needed for install, including the handlebar controls interface.

I do have a few questions regarding the setup:

- Line Levelers. Do I need them and, if so, how many? One for each set of speakers or one for each amp?
- Is the smaller AMP a good choice for the SB speakers or should I get another larger one for the future upgrade? Will that be too big for just the 2 SB speakers at this point?
- If I get 2 of the larger amps will they both fit in the fairing? I do have an aftermarket LED headlight if that matters.
- Is the amp combo/plan correct?
- All of these items are 4 ohm. What is the best way to wire the speakers to the amps?
- Open to recommendations on HU's. I went into this initially thinking everything needed to be marine grade or water resistant but it doesn't seem like that is an issue for most on here.

I am open to any and all recommendations and advice. I tried to do the right thing and research as much as possible before I posted questions. But even with all of the info available on here I do not have enough confidence that I am putting the right system together. I tried to do this with my home theater system last year and became so overwhelmed that I hired a company to come in and install it. (and it came out awesome!). I don't want to pay someone to do this to my bike.

Thank you for taking the time to read through this and for any help you can provide.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:28 PM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

You won't need line levelers with an aftermarket head unit. I'd just grab a Sony/Kenwood that has the features you want and the little splash guard and call it good. That Aquatic AV is a fortune for not a whole lot of features.
You're able to get the PN41000 in the fairing but it's not an easy fit like a soundigital or something with a smaller footprint. I ran one up there for a while and it's not a bad amp at all. Just large. I am not saying you CAN'T get the smaller amp up there as well, but I don't think it's going to be easy. I ran the PN4 and my DSR1 up there and have VERY little room for anything else. I'd bet on mounting it in a saddlebag personally.

I think your amp plan is fine, SS makes some pretty powerful amps so you'll have the juice to hear it down the highway just fine. You could add another PN4 1000 in the rear to have room to grow if you wanted but honestly if you're just doing these 6 speakers, I think what you've got setup right now is fine. And I'd run them all in stereo. No bridging should be required for those things to be loud and clear. Someone else may have another idea but I was running mine 4ohm stereo and it was plenty loud before I lost my mind and started throwing a bunch of PA gear in my bike.

The following users liked this post:
bottomgun (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 07:40 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

Just a couple of things I understand enough to tell you (I have a 2010 UC myself). With an aftermarket head unit you don't need line levelers. You can just plug the head unit into the amps with standard RCA patch cables. Also I think someone makes adapters so that you can use industry standard 6x9 speakers with your lids. When the smart folks get back they can tell you for sure if that is the case.

Keep in mind when removing the stock head unit you will lose the CB, intercom, AVC and such. With the extra room you gain though you might be able to mount both amps in the fairing.

bottomgun (02-22-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 11:39 PM
ssgunny
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes as others have said, the line levelers are needed with the stock HU since it has no RCA jacks. Since you are replacing the stock HU you will be able to connect the HU to the AMP via RCA cables and not need them.

You know what goes away when removing the stock HU. AVC can be maintained though with the Biketronics module. It has worked great for me especially now that the stator was replaced. You can always use that switch that is rendered useless (SQ and PTT) for other purposes like a garage door opener. Get a new inset for the tank as the intercom cable can be disconnected from under the seat and the existing inset cant be removed.

Good luck with the build!

Last edited by ssgunny; 02-21-2019 at 11:48 PM.
bottomgun (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 07:07 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member

It has worked great for me especially now that the stator was replaced.
Hey Gunny I have wondered about aftermarket AVC functionality. I am also curious about what the stator had to do with your AVC issue. Was it malfunctioning or did you just need more amps for your charging circuit? I still like using my headset from time to time so I'm not looking to pull my stock head unit just yet, but I'm always curious about what others have tried on these older bikes.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:52 PM
bottomgun
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully more will come over the weekend. I really want to get going on this. My shopping carts are full!

I have been thinking that since I'm already into it this far that maybe I'll go ahead and put the 6x9's in the SB's now. I found the American Hard Bag adapter that seems like the way to go. And instead of the Hertz 5x7, I was looking at the Hertz ECX 690.5's. I saw the MPX 690.3 series but don't know how much better they are for an additional $220. Maybe someone on here knows. Or has a better 6x9 opinion.

I ordered the Mutazu speaker pods today knowing I would need those regardless to replace the HD ones in the lowers in order to fit the larger speakers. And they come painted.

As for the HU I think I have settled on the MEXGS820BT GS. It has all of the options I wanted and I really like the looks of it. And with the ability to change colors it will match the red gauges at night.

Question: Will pulling the factory HU out have any effect on the security system?

Great picture, Gunny. That was a chilly day, IIRC, but a great ride!

Last edited by bottomgun; 02-22-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:58 PM
ssgunny
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

No security concerns removing the stock HU IIRC. Only things that happen is an unused connector that you can tuck away and the time will be available on the odometer.

Yes, it was one of the warmer days of the winter season and glad we got out. Man, that was 4 or 5 years ago. Time moves too fast.

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
Hey Gunny I have wondered about aftermarket AVC functionality. I am also curious about what the stator had to do with your AVC issue. Was it malfunctioning or did you just need more amps for your charging circuit? I still like using my headset from time to time so I'm not looking to pull my stock head unit just yet, but I'm always curious about what others have tried on these older bikes.
Hoyt, send me a PM if you have any further questions so we don’t get off topic on this thread. I will answer your question here. I developed a leak where the stator wires exit the front of the motor which is not uncommon. My cleaning the area and application of RTV stopped the leak for 1 1/2 years and it was back again so had it replaced. That corrected a problem I noticed around the beginning of 2018 that when using the AVC feature on the BT module it would lower the volume to a setting lower than what it was initially set at (i.e. set the volume to 20 on the Sony HU, drive down the road a bit and when I came to a stop the volume would be at 18 or 19. It would continue to lower after each run which was frustrating. I sent the unit in to be looked at and nothing was found defective but they did replace the board in the module. I got it back and same result. Once the stator was replaced no issues. I emailed the tech at BT to let him know what I found and they replied:

“Thanks much for sharing your findings - that makes sense. If the unit voltage drops out for an instant bad things happen as well, if the system voltage spikes depending on the chip there can be issues. In your case sounds like it lost track of where it was on the AVC table.”

I am not sure how the stock units AVC would be affected by a stator issue. Hope this helps.

Last edited by ssgunny; 02-22-2019 at 07:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ssgunny:
bottomgun (02-23-2019), Hoyt 1911A1 (02-23-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 04:24 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

The Hertz MPX series 6x9's are pretty widely accepted as the go to 6x9 in the Hertz line up. Lots of options from other brands though. I would wire everything up in stereo and see how it sounds. If you feel like anything is not getting enough power you can move things around. The SV's are pretty power hungry if I remember correctly. Being they will be in the lowers you might need to push more power than the SS can supply in stereo mode. Play around with it and be open to changing your plans if you don't like any of the results.

Zach

bottomgun (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 07:24 PM
bottomgun
Intermediate

Bumping this up to hopefully get a few more inputs. Want to pull the trigger and get some final thoughts. Thank you to those that have already posted.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:36 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member

Possibly a more powerful amp for the saddlebag speakers? Some 6x9s can really soak up the wattage. If you are watching your pennies maybe a Cerwin Vega B52. If you want to be able to tweak the 6x9s a little bit maybe an RF TM400x2ad (it has a built in EQ control).

Just a thought.

bottomgun (02-25-2019)