Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp and Speaker Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 08:49 AM
CoachKenB
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Amp and Speaker Advice

Gents,

I've done so much reading and research over the last few days my eyes are bleeding. I'd really like to get your input or advice. I'm riding a 2018 Road Glide. I have the Sony 5000 with the BT line leveler, CV B52 amp, and Infinity Kappa in the fairing. I've got lowers being delivered today and I'm trying to decide what to do next. In my previous bike I had a pn4 1000d running kappas in the fairing and lowers. It was loud but after an hour or so you'd have to turn it down because it was just too bright. My goal is to get a setup that is loud enough to hear at speed but will not make my ears hurt from the brightness...oh and I don't want to break the bank...I dont want much do I? Cameron at Bad Azz Bikes suggested leaving the B52 and Kappa's up top and adding a sound digital 400.2 amp and Ground Zero 165spl midwoofer in the lowers. This sounded really interesting to me so I started doing research and now I have more questions than ever.

First question is AMP. I'd prefer to NOT add another amp. I'd rather replace the B52 with a 4 channel amp. From my research I've determined that:
  • The pn4.1000d is affordable, powerful, and loud but not very good sound quality.
  • The Moto600.4 is powerful and consistent at 2 or 4 ohms and has good sound quality but is much more expensive than the others in this category.
  • The SounDigital 800.4D is stable to 1 ohm but doesn't have adjustable crossover range and is the 2nd most expensive on the list.
  • The CV B54 is affordable, has good power, and sound quality better than the pn4.1000d.
  • The JL Audio MX500/4 has middle of road specs but according to everyone on this board the specs are underrated and the sound quality of the JL amps is better than everything on the list.
I'm leaning towards the MX500/4. So...my questions...with this amp in a 4 channel configuration, what speaker would work well with the kappas? Should the kappas stay in the fairing or move to the lowers? Is this the right amp?

Thanks for any advice!

Old 02-15-2019, 09:09 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

No bueno on the JL500/4. Just not enuff juice for traditional non PA builds.
B54 = no bueno as well unless u stay 2 ohm forever.
If u are staying with 4 speakers get the ARC.
If there is a chance of growth get the Stinger or if going all in get the Focal Sport.
If u get a DSP all these amp selections change.

Not sure I agree w Cam on his recommendation. He is moving product that's on the shelf which is what all these guys do and I support the hell out of that when it's good for my personal needs. Your fairing needs to be the primary focus. Kappas are just not the higher tier sound u r seeking.

If anything, drop the GZCK in the fairing with some tweeters until u have enough other complimenting stuff to support horns. At that point, evaluate what u might be missing from ur lowers.

The Hertz MLK 1650 is a damn awesome play in the fairing for warm & detailed full range but not cheap!!!!

T

Last edited by Tailwind; 02-15-2019 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:48 AM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

I have the gz 165 pal in my dash with dtx26t horns. Just those will absolutely blow away the infinity kappa’s with volume and sound quality. The gz’s are loud and very clear. Also have excellent mid bass kick. From what I’ve tried with my own stuff though, they need to be bandpassed from 80-4500 or so to really feed them power and keep them crisp and clear. If I let mine roll off naturally I have to back off the output level on the processor to keep them clear. Lastly, with that roll off that low, you need a midrange of some kind or the music is missing some mids in the 4-10k. Just the gz’s and a pair of horns will sound clear and loud but you’ll feel a bit missing in the middle and at high volumes you’re back to sounding like it’s missing something. NOT a knock on the speakers. I genuinely love them, I just bought some prv mr’s to fill in the middle and make it sound complete.

That said, I guess you can mix them with the kappas but you won’t be using them to their potential because the GZ’s are head and shoulders above the kappas in volume and clarity.

Amps are more difficult. I’ll defer to T on that as he’s ran most of them lol. I had the pn4.1000 and a B52 and then said screw it and bought a dsp and started running soundigital amps.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:29 AM
CoachKenB
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
No bueno on the JL500/4. Just not enuff juice for traditional non PA builds.
B54 = no bueno as well unless u stay 2 ohm forever.
If u are staying with 4 speakers get the ARC.
If there is a chance of growth get the Stinger or if going all in get the Focal Sport.
If u get a DSP all these amp selections change.

Not sure I agree w Cam on his recommendation. He is moving product that's on the shelf which is what all these guys do and I support the hell out of that when it's good for my personal needs. Your fairing needs to be the primary focus. Kappas are just not the higher tier sound u r seeking.

If anything, drop the GZCK in the fairing with some tweeters until u have enough other complimenting stuff to support horns. At that point, evaluate what u might be missing from ur lowers.

The Hertz MLK 1650 is a damn awesome play in the fairing for warm & detailed full range but not cheap!!!!

T
I think I'm interpreting this as a 4 channel amp capable of doing what I want is mucho expensive ($700 for the Arc or $800 for the Focal) and running (2) amps (2 or 4 channels) would allow you to be more creative in speaker and amp selection.

If I was going to keep the B52 i already have to power my lowers what speakers (PA or traditional) would you suggest.
If I was going to add another amp to power my fairing what amp and speakers would you suggest?

thoughts?

Old 02-15-2019, 12:15 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by CoachKenB
I think I'm interpreting this as a 4 channel amp capable of doing what I want is mucho expensive ($700 for the Arc or $800 for the Focal) and running (2) amps (2 or 4 channels) would allow you to be more creative in speaker and amp selection.

If I was going to keep the B52 i already have to power my lowers what speakers (PA or traditional) would you suggest.
If I was going to add another amp to power my fairing what amp and speakers would you suggest?

thoughts?
Focal can be had for around 600.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:17 PM
JohnnyBagger
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MPAK 10 @ Creative Car Audio

Sale $503.00
https://creativeaudio.net/search.php...ection=product

Old 02-16-2019, 05:09 AM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,596 Likes on 3,245 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes300

Focal can be had for around 600.
And an Arc 600.4 can be had for around $450.00.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:32 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Stinger SPX700 can be had for $320.

T

Old 02-16-2019, 12:25 PM
pylonboy
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBagger
Do you need line levelers or a flash with that setup?

I have a 2016 Ultra Limited with Kappas front and rear.

Old 02-16-2019, 02:57 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by CoachKenB
Gents,

I've done so much reading and research over the last few days my eyes are bleeding. I'd really like to get your input or advice. I'm riding a 2018 Road Glide. I have the Sony 5000 with the BT line leveler, CV B52 amp, and Infinity Kappa in the fairing. I've got lowers being delivered today and I'm trying to decide what to do next. In my previous bike I had a pn4 1000d running kappas in the fairing and lowers. It was loud but after an hour or so you'd have to turn it down because it was just too bright. My goal is to get a setup that is loud enough to hear at speed but will not make my ears hurt from the brightness...oh and I don't want to break the bank...I dont want much do I? Cameron at Bad Azz Bikes suggested leaving the B52 and Kappa's up top and adding a sound digital 400.2 amp and Ground Zero 165spl midwoofer in the lowers. This sounded really interesting to me so I started doing research and now I have more questions than ever.

First question is AMP. I'd prefer to NOT add another amp. I'd rather replace the B52 with a 4 channel amp. From my research I've determined that:
  • The pn4.1000d is affordable, powerful, and loud but not very good sound quality.
  • The Moto600.4 is powerful and consistent at 2 or 4 ohms and has good sound quality but is much more expensive than the others in this category.
  • The SounDigital 800.4D is stable to 1 ohm but doesn't have adjustable crossover range and is the 2nd most expensive on the list.
  • The CV B54 is affordable, has good power, and sound quality better than the pn4.1000d.
  • The JL Audio MX500/4 has middle of road specs but according to everyone on this board the specs are underrated and the sound quality of the JL amps is better than everything on the list.
I'm leaning towards the MX500/4. So...my questions...with this amp in a 4 channel configuration, what speaker would work well with the kappas? Should the kappas stay in the fairing or move to the lowers? Is this the right amp?

Thanks for any advice!
I would first suggest that you take the line leveler out of play if you are running the sony 5000 HU. It is not needed and will cause you to sacrifice SQ that the sony is providing. Next, as others have stated, the CV b-52 or b-54 will not be enough amp for any 4 speaker setup. The stinger or focal sport is going to be your best bet and the stinger for price point. As far as speakers go for the lowers, hertz sv 165's are hard to beat and don't require a lot of power to get loud. Those Kappas are going to stay bright for the long haul and no lowers will tame them, so keep that in mind. A 4 ohm coax like hcx 165.3's will provide a better all around sound or a set of good components. Speakers are always a personal choice. What ever you do, take the line leveler out of play.

Quick Reply: Amp and Speaker Advice