Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp and Speaker Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 09:25 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 174 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
I would first suggest that you take the line leveler out of play if you are running the sony 5000 HU. It is not needed and will cause you to sacrifice SQ that the sony is providing. Next, as others have stated, the CV b-52 or b-54 will not be enough amp for any 4 speaker setup. The stinger or focal sport is going to be your best bet and the stinger for price point. As far as speakers go for the lowers, hertz sv 165's are hard to beat and don't require a lot of power to get loud. Those Kappas are going to stay bright for the long haul and no lowers will tame them, so keep that in mind. A 4 ohm coax like hcx 165.3's will provide a better all around sound or a set of good components. Speakers are always a personal choice. What ever you do, take the line leveler out of play.
Good catch TG ditching the LL will help a bunch.
Coachken you want to run 4 speakers fairing and lowers correct? Any future audio plans?

Last edited by marshallb; 02-16-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:19 PM
CoachKenB
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by marshallb
Good catch TG ditching the LL will help a bunch.
Coachken you want to run 4 speakers fairing and lowers correct? Any future audio plans?
I ditched the LL as soon as I put the Sony in. Nothing crazy on future stuff just the fairing and lowers.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:11 AM
CoachKenB
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
And an Arc 600.4 can be had for around $450.00.
Sweet! Where?

Old 02-17-2019, 08:46 AM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,596 Likes on 3,245 Posts

Originally Posted by CoachKenB

Sweet! Where?
Where are you located? I can see if my local dealer will ship? I didn't want to stalk you on hdf to find out, that and I'm on a mobile device.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:54 PM
JohnnyBagger
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pylon.
I'm no expert but...you already have front/rear speakers so I shouldn't need to flash. Hopefully, someone will correct me if I'm wrong. As far as the line levelers go ARC says everything you need is in the box (MPAK 10/11/12). Quote:
  • Includes Full Plug And Play Input/Output Signal Wire Harness

Old 02-26-2019, 07:44 PM
Rodney Walker
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CoachKenB
Gents,

I've done so much reading and research over the last few days my eyes are bleeding. I'd really like to get your input or advice. I'm riding a 2018 Road Glide. I have the Sony 5000 with the BT line leveler, CV B52 amp, and Infinity Kappa in the fairing. I've got lowers being delivered today and I'm trying to decide what to do next. In my previous bike I had a pn4 1000d running kappas in the fairing and lowers. It was loud but after an hour or so you'd have to turn it down because it was just too bright. My goal is to get a setup that is loud enough to hear at speed but will not make my ears hurt from the brightness...oh and I don't want to break the bank...I dont want much do I? Cameron at Bad Azz Bikes suggested leaving the B52 and Kappa's up top and adding a sound digital 400.2 amp and Ground Zero 165spl midwoofer in the lowers. This sounded really interesting to me so I started doing research and now I have more questions than ever.

First question is AMP. I'd prefer to NOT add another amp. I'd rather replace the B52 with a 4 channel amp. From my research I've determined that:
  • The pn4.1000d is affordable, powerful, and loud but not very good sound quality.
  • The Moto600.4 is powerful and consistent at 2 or 4 ohms and has good sound quality but is much more expensive than the others in this category.
  • The SounDigital 800.4D is stable to 1 ohm but doesn't have adjustable crossover range and is the 2nd most expensive on the list.
  • The CV B54 is affordable, has good power, and sound quality better than the pn4.1000d.
  • The JL Audio MX500/4 has middle of road specs but according to everyone on this board the specs are underrated and the sound quality of the JL amps is better than everything on the list.
I'm leaning towards the MX500/4. So...my questions...with this amp in a 4 channel configuration, what speaker would work well with the kappas? Should the kappas stay in the fairing or move to the lowers? Is this the right amp?

Thanks for any advice!
any info on the Kappas? I’m looking to add those to my fairing and lowers....do you have a link or model #?
thanks