Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What speakers fit lowers....

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 07:05 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts
Default What speakers fit lowers....

....without any trimming?

I'm in the process of adding lowers to my 2010 Road Glide. I have gotten all my parts back from the painter. While I was checking things out, I dropped in a Hertz SV 165.1 speaker into the CVO pod and realized it doesn't fit. It's so close, but the speaker cone frame is just the slightest bit too wide in diameter to fit and will not allow the speaker to sit flush in the pod. Also, the CVO grills do not fit over the speaker frames either, but are pretty much an exact match of the diameter of the overall speaker frame. That means the grills aren't flush either.

My complete set up is as follows:
  • Alpine CDE-HD149BT head unit
  • Biketronics 4180 Amp
  • Biketronics 7.1 Pro fairing speakers

I'm not opposed to running the Biketronics Titan II lower speakers, and I know they'll fit. But, all of the advice I've been given so far is that a mid-range speaker would be a better fit for the lowers to compensate for the fade that occurs at higher speeds.

So, what else works? I would prefer not to trim/grind/cut anything if I don't have to. Between the price of lowers and the cost of paint, I've already got a small fortune invested into this endeavor!

Old 02-14-2019, 07:41 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

I'm surprised that these don't fit. I've had them in my CVO lowers and they fit just fine. The CVO grill however would not work with them. I didn't have enough watts with my current configuration so I went a different route.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:50 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Yeah, that's the rub....I have found other threads where another member had the same issue I'm describing. He got them to fit, but had to do some drum sanding on the speaker pod to accommodate the wider frame. Throughout his thread though, others were saying the same thing you did - they were running them and had no fitment issues.

He also trimmed down his grills too, to get everything to fit.

What did you end up going with for your lowers? The more I kick this idea over in my head, the more I'm thinking of going with the BT Titan II's for the lowers. My buddy is also doing this project and chose those speakers - he has no issues.

On a positive note - the Alpine headunit came today. My initial testing has shown that I no longer have the speaker pop on start up like I was getting with the Sony MEX-M70BT.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:36 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

I went with a PVR 6mr500 but they have to be made to fit. They are square and have to be cut down but they're worth it in my opinion. With your HU having separate front and rear crossovers it may be a viable solution for you. I used a speaker that I knew would fit with my grills and used it to scribe around the PRV so I'd know exactly how much to take off. Taped the speakers up to keep the metal shavings out of the voice coil and went to work with a jigsaw cutting off the bulk of the material. Finished it off with a flap disk.
What speakers fit lowers....-photo351.jpg

Last edited by SBates08; 02-14-2019 at 08:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
joeyvaz (10-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 11:03 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

That’s not out of the question. Seems like those speakers are pretty well liked. I really just don’t want to cut/grind the fairing pieces themselves. But doing that to the speakers is an option.

It might come down to those or some Mmat 601.4’s.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:34 AM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

Mmat 601’s are a good sounding speaker, I’ve got em in lowers and TP right now.

They have ave a bit low sensitivity though. If everything else it equal, I cannot see you being upset with them. I however am running some GZ’s in the fairing and they overpower the mmats at high volumes. Because I this I landed some do the square PRV’s and I’ll get around the cutting and installing soon.

Depending kn the rest of your system though, the mmats are a damn good sounding speaker. I just need a wee bit more volume than it can contribute.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:11 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

I just need a wee bit more volume than it can contribute.
I ran into this scenario with the Mmats in the lowers as well. Doing some experimenting though I found out that the Mmats could produce enough volume the problem was the Motos in the fairing are about 103db sensitivity so they got loud much quicker than the Mmats did. I just adjusted the input levels going into the amp accordingly and they balanced out well.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:04 AM
USAproud
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
That’s not out of the question. Seems like those speakers are pretty well liked. I really just don’t want to cut/grind the fairing pieces themselves. But doing that to the speakers is an option.

It might come down to those or some Mmat 601.4’s.
I have a set of the PRV I just pulled from my lowers that are already round on the shelf if you're interested

Old 02-15-2019, 07:53 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by USAproud
I have a set of the PRV I just pulled from my lowers that are already round on the shelf if you're interested
I'm interested...

Have they been trimmed enough to fit with the CVO grills? If you don't mind me asking, why did you pull them out?

Old 02-15-2019, 07:58 AM
USAproud
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
I'm interested...

Have they been trimmed enough to fit with the CVO grills? If you don't mind me asking, why did you pull them out?
I dont have CVO grills so I can not say for sure. Just trying something different down there. They get loud and are great going down the road.

Quick Reply: What speakers fit lowers....