Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid woofers in bag?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 06:25 PM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Mid woofers in bag?

Who has put 8’s or 10’s in bags using jefe rings and how did you like it? I see faital and GZ claim to play down to 45/40hz and I’m curious if that’s a legitimate claim (this is for the tens) and has anyone ever simply installed one instead of 2? I’m willing to give up 1/2 a bag but not sure I can give up 1/2 of both bags lol.

Obviously youre not not going to hear this thing at 80 but backroad cruising I’m thinking it will add some fullness to the system.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:33 PM
slodsm
Road Master

Just for the sake of info, the rest of the system is:

DSR1
800.4 4ohm
2 ground zero gzr165spl in dash on 1 and 2 in stereo (4ohm load)
4 MMats 601.8 ran parallel off 3 and 4 (4 ohm load) in lowers and TP pods
4 MMats dtx26 horns

Its stupid loud for what it is, clear, easy to hear on the highway at half volume, over all very happy.

Has good midbass too honestly but I’d like to be able to drop just a little lower in the frequency range for some music because some songs play pretty low and you’re just missing that portion of the music. I’m assuming a single 10 with enough power pushed through it if it would reliably and clearly actually hit 40hz then low piano notes, bass guitar notes, etc would come through cleaner.

Ive heard stuff like mine, and I’ve heard all out systems with sealed subs but never in between so I need pointers from you guys.

Last edited by slodsm; 01-31-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:04 PM
mstng5point0
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't have any info to help you yet. But i am DD VO-w10's in my bags. From what i heard, to sound balanced you need one in each bag. For your situation i would look into an 8 that tucks down in the back of the bags.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:01 PM
FrenchieM
Road Warrior
Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Why not tuck a 10 down in the corner?

Old 01-31-2019, 08:24 PM
Morel00
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I was exploring the option of a 10 as well with the jefe rings. How do the GZ 10’s sound with about 200 watts to em? The yellow basket ones.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:43 PM
Keshunjohnson
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting mid-bass 10' put in my bags.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:58 PM
slodsm
Road Master

Originally Posted by Morel00
I was exploring the option of a 10 as well with the jefe rings. How do the GZ 10’s sound with about 200 watts to em? The yellow basket ones.

Those and the Faital were what I was looking at myself but just wanted to hear some experienced opinions before dropping the 600+ On rings, a 10, and a second battery/wiring. I’ve already got 2 amps running and I have a b52 I could run bridged to a 10 but honestly I think 3 amps is pushing it on one battery sooooo.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:07 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 794 Likes on 618 Posts

I've done both, 8's and 10's. as always the proper combo of the correct amp and speaker and tuning capability is what yields the best results. I first tried PRV 8mb450's because of their price point and they sounded very nice and 200-300 watts makes them work so it;s easy to choose an amp for them. they were not enough for what i was looking for, I made my own rings and they were mounted low and to the rear of each bag. I was also running 6x9 lids at the time and trying to get a similar low end fill. you are not going to get 40 htz out of 8's that sound good without doing some good bag fabbing and power tuning. I next stepped up to the PRV 8mb600FT. That was a big jump in volume, but lost a little of the depth, but the volume increase was worth it. Again i had to step up the amp power to get it heard at 80, but it did work. DSP tuning is essential to me for this kind of application. I honestly think that that set up would be good enough for most people......
But since I usually go overkill and I had heard a bike the Alex/Haze had tuned locally,(it had tens in the bags) I knew then that stepping up to a ten in each bag was going to be what I needed. I've tried both the DD WO10 and the PRV 10MB100(i think). For me, these required a HUGE step up in power, but it is finally as good as i think it can get, without going down the fabbed, braced and sealed bag rabbit hole. Both speakers sound very good, but i like the PRV's just a tad better, but they need more power than the DD's, as the DD's are 4 ohm and the PRV's are 8ohm. I'm using a SD 2000.1 mono block mounted in the tp to power the 10's with an advertised output of 1437 watts @14.4 volts(wired up at 4ohm load) and of course a dsp, in this case the DD Dsi-2. This set up is not for everyone. A significant amount of space is taken up to fit everything in place, and because my bike is an older bike I upgraded the charging system to a 50amp 3 phase system and just to be safe a couple of small batteries, one in each bag. This also added a noticeable amount of weight to the bike! (Good thing I've also got motor work!!) I felt that i had the capability to try out the extra batteries and that the bike would need them for longer rides as the amp for the tens was actually pulling a measured 40-50 amps on music during testing. This is really kind of overkill for most people, i feel. But i did it because i could and i want what i want. I used donor saddlebags and lids until i got things to a point of being close. My original bags(with the matching paint) are set aside for actual travel use, All the wiring to the speakers and batteries in the bags are set up with Anderson Style and Duetch connectors so that if i need to travel, i just disconnect and stow the wires and swap to travel bags. I lose the sound, but i've got a pretty killer front stage and pa 6.5's in the tp pods, so i can live with it for a trip.
hope that helps.
m

Old 01-31-2019, 09:09 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Slod, after having speakers in my fairing, lowers, lids, and TP pods, and not wanting to take up bag space or cut my bags, I decided to put something in my bags to get some actual bass! After considering subs and mid bass speakers , I put the 8" GXCK 200 SPL, (yellow baskets) with the help of Baby Boy. I am running them off the rear channels of a SS TN 900, so they're getting about 140-150 rms per speaker. Wow I am really pleased with the added bass and fuller sound I am getting and can easily (despite what some say that you lose them at speed} I can hear them (depending on the bass produced by the song)to 55-60 mph! People with 10's and high power have told me they can hear theirs up to 70-80 mph! I wish now that I had done it sooner. If I need extra space I will put a rack on my Tour Pak and put a bag on it! Oh yeah the GZCK's 8's are rated to play down to 50 HZ and I am sure they play that low, or a little lower, they hit hard with proper song like Tom Morello's (Atlas Underground) new album has a mix of rock rap and Electronic music which really has some great bass that HITS HARD...BAM!!

Last edited by Moto Mike; 01-31-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:10 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 794 Likes on 618 Posts

i used the 10 rings from Hot Rods and Handlebars, they are a mid mount, but it was what i was willing to pay for at the time and i had not seen a rear mounted ring for sale anywhere, then. I tried to make my own, but without more machines than i have in my possession, it was more cost effective to buy them. I'd like to try a rear mounted set up also.
m

Quick Reply: Mid woofers in bag?