Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New bike purchase audio?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 07:18 PM
Headhunter68
Intermediate
Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts
Default New bike purchase audio?

About to buy a new street glide standard in a couple weeks . Not happy already about the bluetooth gadget needed to hook up headset and have considered just getting the bike with the standard audio and junking it for a real system as soon as i take possession of the bike. No budget in mind, want to have a good clear sound at highway speeds wearing a fullface. Am i on the right path or should i consider the boom. Nav isn't important to me. Thanks guys, new member here!!

Old 01-06-2019, 09:20 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 619 Posts

If you are going to use a full face helmet, forget the idea of the upgrading the factory sound system and put your thoughts more towards having a high quality helmet w/high quality helmet system installed. that way you pair the helmet to the stock head unit and are good to go. you would need to have a very hi output system with a substantial investment of speakers, amps and some other gear to get it loud and clear enough to penetrate the helmet.
I use a Nexx full face with the Nex-Com communication system built into the helmet while riding my sport bikes so that i can still have tunes. The Nex-Com system is made by Sena specially for the Nexx helmet product line. Bluetooth to phone or head unit, music and phone communications, and VOX bike to bike communications with other VOX activated helmets.
just my 2 cents.
m

Old 01-07-2019, 07:49 AM
Headhunter68
Intermediate

Thanks!! Agreeing with you on a good headset but i also want a system that rocks when i choose to listen without a headset and maybe cruising with an open helmet. Is it worth the extra grand to get the boom gts and use that head unit and add an amp and speakers, maybe some lower speakers as well. Not going to install in bags unless I'm convinced here to do so. Listen to classic rock primarily

Old 01-07-2019, 08:02 AM
n5tf
Tourer
Received 184 Likes on 67 Posts

Get the boom. I have no issues hearing it at interstate speeds. You can always add an amp later.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:21 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Go aftermarket. The Boom is garbage.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:23 AM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 619 Posts

You change the equation when you say you might ride with an open lid or nonemat all. Stay away from boom. Post upma budget and you will get all kinds of suggestions.
m

Old 01-07-2019, 10:42 AM
Headhunter68
Intermediate

Is it worth getting the large screen boom for the clean look and then throw an amp, speakers and add some lowers to make it a 4 system set to enhance sound at highway speeds. I'm no audio wizard but i would think 4 speakers beats 2 in fairing only! I like the new large touch screen appearance but i really don't know what other HU options are out there for bikes. Budget is flexible based on performance gain. I want a good reliable system that tops the factory option but don't need to break any windows lol. Thanks for the responses!!

Old 01-07-2019, 11:20 AM
Djcamis
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Headhunter68
Is it worth getting the large screen boom for the clean look and then throw an amp, speakers and add some lowers to make it a 4 system set to enhance sound at highway speeds. I'm no audio wizard but i would think 4 speakers beats 2 in fairing only! I like the new large touch screen appearance but i really don't know what other HU options are out there for bikes. Budget is flexible based on performance gain. I want a good reliable system that tops the factory option but don't need to break any windows lol. Thanks for the responses!!
Not sure if the Sony 5000 fits in the din of the 19, but I think it will. That'll run you less than $500, better than the $2K for the Harley one.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:27 AM
Headhunter68
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Djcamis
Not sure if the Sony 5000 fits in the din of the 19, but I think it will. That'll run you less than $500, better than the $2K for the Harley one.
any issues with the sony 5000 and weather? Thanks

Old 01-07-2019, 11:40 AM
Djcamis
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Headhunter68
any issues with the sony 5000 and weather? Thanks
I think the verdict on that is that it works but the LCD screen can get moisture. They make a cover for it (Shimmy cover).

Below thread goes into detail on some users experiences.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...-ax5000-3.html

Quick Reply: New bike purchase audio?