Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker Baffles?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 10:53 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 652 Likes on 455 Posts
Default Speaker Baffles?

Anyone out there using these in pre Rushmore batwings? If so, do they work? What are your experiences with them? I've read all about using polyfil or dynamat (or similar). Will they have a similar effect? Seem to get decent enough reviews on Amazon. Total novice question here but, what if one were to wrap the speakers in a bit of polyfil, with these over top? Or will that get too tight in there and kill the sound?

They're cheap enough...and if nothing else, they would give a bit of water intrusion protection (should water happen to get between the inner & outer fairing) to non-marine speakers.

From their description: "Boom Mat speaker baffles maximize speaker performance by isolating the correct frequency responses while damping reverberation in the sheet metal and panel to frame resonance. Also forms a water tight protective shell to prevent moisture intrusion"

Amazon Amazon

Old 12-19-2018, 04:12 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Never mind. Did a search here (should have done that first ) and got some info.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:53 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

I added polyfil on my 2010 and didn't notice much difference. I then added some Noico sound deadening mat to the inside of the fairing cap and definitely noticed an improvement in sound. I think it only took about $20 worth of the stuff to do the job.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:57 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
I added polyfil on my 2010 and didn't notice much difference. I then added some Noico sound deadening mat to the inside of the fairing cap and definitely noticed an improvement in sound. I think it only took about $20 worth of the stuff to do the job.
Thanks Hoyt! I did order up some of the Noico sound deadening and will install it. I gotta say though that I was quite surprised how heavy this material is. It's definitely going to add some weight to the outer fairing once it's completely covered.
No issues with the added weight? I know these threaded inserts in the inner fairing are pretty fragile.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:15 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

No issues with the added weight? I know these threaded inserts in the inner fairing are pretty fragile.
I haven't had any problems Lefty. I guess if you think about it those threaded inserts are designed to take the pressure of high speed wind blasts with shields of up to 15" tall. Also the amount of material needed to cover the inside of the fairing cap didn't seem to add much weight to it at all. I figure the downward pressure is being handled by the three screws up top at the shield and also the bottom portion on the fork covers as well.

I think one of the things to be concerned with as far as protecting those threaded bushings goes is to not over tighten them. On mine when I put it back I use a T27 screwdriver instead of a socket wrench and put a SMALL amount of blue Loctite on the threads of the four T27 screws that go into the fairing to keep them from getting loose.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:21 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
I haven't had any problems Lefty. I guess if you think about it those threaded inserts are designed to take the pressure of high speed wind blasts with shields of up to 15" tall. Also the amount of material needed to cover the inside of the fairing cap didn't seem to add much weight to it at all. I figure the downward pressure is being handled by the three screws up top at the shield and also the bottom portion on the fork covers as well.

I think one of the things to be concerned with as far as protecting those threaded bushings goes is to not over tighten them. On mine when I put it back I use a T27 screwdriver instead of a socket wrench and put a SMALL amount of blue Loctite on the threads of the four T27 screws that go into the fairing to keep them from getting loose.
Good to know. Agreed!! I never use a socket wrench on these screws. Always only a T27 screwdriver and careful to only snug them up and not over tighten.