Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Is a DSP and What Does It Do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 08:23 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts
Default What Is a DSP and What Does It Do?

I have a 2016 Limited Ultra. I've decided I'm missing alot by not having something in the lowers. I found that I can get 6.5 adaptors for wetheads, from Hogtunes. I'm gonna do it, but I've had a couple guys ask if I have a DSP because that might determine which speakers to put into the lowers. I'm one of those guys who wants a nice stereo, but I don't know the difference between an ohm and a watt, and sensitivity, etc etc etc. I've emailed the installer about the DSP, but he's out of town, and I don't see anything on his receipt that says DSP. Can somebody explain to an amateur, what a DSP is, and what it does? I've Googled it, but I don't know any more now than before I Googled. No simple explanations on Google.
My current setup:
--- Four DD Audio VO M6.5 (fairing & tourpak.)
--- Two DD Audio B3 horns in center of fairing speakers.
--- One DD Audio 4.90 amp under the fairing
My installer told me he "has room" in case I wanna add something else later. Considering 6.5 MMATS for the lowers. I want more mid & bass, and didn't realize how much lowers added until I didn't have anything down there. Thanks for your help.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:30 AM
Outkast6991
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

A dsp is a digital sound processor. It's essentially an equalizer on serious steroids. It allows you to set crossovers, input/output voltages, set delays, eq individual channels, etc. It's a powerful tool to have in the right hands

Old 11-23-2018, 09:04 AM
DLennartz
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

FYI, I posted a similar question in a Facebook group. Some opinions on DSP’s were shared.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HDBa...5485269534687/

Old 11-23-2018, 01:04 PM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,755 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Would look at info on link, but I don’t (and won’t) “do” FB

Old 11-23-2018, 01:48 PM
Outkast6991
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullbore55
Would look at info on link, but I don’t (and won’t) “do” FB
link ain't working for me anyway

Old 11-23-2018, 01:56 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Basically a bunch of guys saying u really don't need one unless u have a complex system.

T

Old 11-23-2018, 03:05 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

I just did install a DSP in my bike and for the type of speakers and amps I have I am really pleased with the results.

I image if you have really good quality amps and speakers you may not benefit much from one, but my mutt of a system really sounds a lot better now that I have been able to apply a couple of very basic EQ curves with the DSP.

For instance my fairing speakers are loud as all get out on the midrange. If I tried to boost the bass and treble to compensate, it would wash out the other six speakers. Also the Mmats I am running in the lowers can take more bass than the ADs in the pods. Also my 6x9s needed a bit of a midrange boost. All of this was easy to do with the DSP.

If you have ever tinkered with car audio and toyed with an equalizer that is one of the basic functions of a DSP. Yes they do many other things but for me just being able to set an individual EQ curve for each set of speakers worked wonders. My system is by no means "advanced". I just knew I wanted eight speakers which usually requires two amps. With only bass and treble controls applied the same way to all eight speakers it became apparent that something more was needed.

You may just want to see how you like things when you get your lowers installed and live. If you are happy with the sound then there is something to be said for keeping things simple.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:22 PM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

I don't have a complex system by ANY means but for me, the DSP was the best money I've spent. It cleaned it up, evened out the frequencies fantastically, I was able to time align the fairing, lowers, and pods, set perfect crossover points with each speaker, set DB with each speaker so nothing over powered the others, and use a spektrum analyzer to very specifically target frequencies that were lacking or overpowered and match them up to give me stupid loud for what I have and crisp clean sound.

It's the first one I've had in a very long time (used to use parametric equalizers back in the day in cars) but this thing is absolutely fantastic on my bike. Best money I've ever spent.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:46 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

The ability to fine tune each speaker on your sled via a DSP is always a good thing.
Is each and every individual going to get a $300+ return on their investment via sound quality?
If u have a money tree, go for it. If you are willing to invest the time in learning the physics, techniques and strategies associated with fine tuning ur audio, then go for it.
If u absolutely don't want to jack with the advanced tuning stuff, don't buy speakers that suck unless they are properly tunes. Most PAs really do suck as plug and play speakers. But when u gut them all dialed in to compliment each other throughout the full range of freqs they really can sound pretty damn good and the volume levels are a solid bonus at 80 mph.
So, does everyone need a DSP? It's an individual choice based on cash and the level of audio quality u think u can obtain via effort, education, HU & speaker capability based on the system u have installed.
Tuff call, cause on the flip side I have seen perfectly damn good sounding speakers get totally molested by dudes that have gone ape shix on really bad tunes.

T

Old 11-25-2018, 07:40 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

Now that someone has mentioned time alignment is there any data on how much of a change is used on sleds between the three main audio points? I have heard some say it isn't worth the trouble but sometimes if you get bored...

Quick Reply: What Is a DSP and What Does It Do?