Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Is a DSP and What Does It Do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 07:53 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
Now that someone has mentioned time alignment is there any data on how much of a change is used on sleds between the three main audio points? I have heard some say it isn't worth the trouble but sometimes if you get bored...
Ya never know till u try.

But I tried, and it's really pretty negligible for a daily rider.

T

Last edited by Tailwind; 11-25-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:01 AM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,594 Likes on 3,245 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
The ability to fine tune each speaker on your sled via a DSP is always a good thing.
Is each and every individual going to get a $300+ return on their investment via sound quality?
If u have a money tree, go for it. If you are willing to invest the time in learning the physics, techniques and strategies associated with fine tuning ur audio, then go for it.
If u absolutely don't want to jack with the advanced tuning stuff, don't buy speakers that suck unless they are properly tunes. Most PAs really do suck as plug and play speakers. But when u gut them all dialed in to compliment each other throughout the full range of freqs they really can sound pretty damn good and the volume levels are a solid bonus at 80 mph.
So, does everyone need a DSP? It's an individual choice based on cash and the level of audio quality u think u can obtain via effort, education, HU & speaker capability based on the system u have installed.
Tuff call, cause on the flip side I have seen perfectly damn good sounding speakers get totally molested by dudes that have gone ape shix on really bad tunes.

T

Well said!!!!

I wouldn't give mine up for nothing. IMHO, it's damn near a necessity on a 14up HD. I was impressed the moment I added it.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:10 AM
DLennartz
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Wouldn’t your bike require a completely different tune for the frequencies cruising along at 80mph? You would need to compensate for the wind rushing past your ears and your pipes at 3000 rpm vs idling at a stop light when all is very quiet. It seams you would need to be able to store more than one program setting.

The following users liked this post:
123ozzie (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 08:36 AM
123ozzie
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DLennartz
Wouldn’t your bike require a completely different tune for the frequencies cruising along at 80mph? You would need to compensate for the wind rushing past your ears and your pipes at 3000 rpm vs idling at a stop light when all is very quiet. It seams you would need to be able to store more than one program setting.
That sounds like a great question that hopefully gets answered

Old 11-25-2018, 09:04 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

I have 2 tune programs. One for parked and one for about 55-60 mph.

T

123ozzie (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 09:50 AM
DLennartz
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
I have 2 tune programs. One for parked and one for about 55-60 mph.

T
Can I ask which DSP you’re running that stores more than one program and how the hell do you tune your system at 60 mph, lol

Old 11-25-2018, 09:52 AM
123ozzie
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For the guys that do not have the time or patience to figure out how to properly use a DSP, there are shops that will preprogram and sell a DSP based on your specific equipment. BY NO MEANS am I endorsing this. I have NO idea how close you can get to a "near perfect tune" without being in front of the bike, nor do I have a preprogrammed DSP. Just thought I'd throw it out there and see what people think.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:27 AM
Dsm Limited
Club Member

Can I ask which DSP you’re running that stores more than one program and how the hell do you tune your system at 60 mph, lol
I have the Arc PSM, you can store 4 tunes in them. Which tune is determined by which power wire you energize at turn on. You can switch between them with an Auxiliary switch.

The tuning at 60 is a bit trickier. You have to tune,ride,tune ride, till you're happy.

I've tried to get T to ride pillion and tune for me, he hasn't bit yet. Maybe next MnG I'll just buy him cocktails till his inhibitions drop. Lol

Old 11-25-2018, 10:29 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by 123ozzie
For the guys that do not have the time or patience to figure out how to properly use a DSP, there are shops that will preprogram and sell a DSP based on your specific equipment. BY NO MEANS am I endorsing this. I have NO idea how close you can get to a "near perfect tune" without being in front of the bike, nor do I have a preprogrammed DSP. Just thought I'd throw it out there and see what people think.
It can be done. Think of it as receiving a Performance tuner with a canned map, while it's not perfect like having your bike Dyno'd it gets you in the ballpark and can be adjusted. I see a DSP in very similar fashion, you can get performance upgrades from pipes, air filter, etc. similar to speakers and amps but to really fine tune it and get the most out of it you use a DSP and take it to a tuner/dyno. The shops that I know that package DSP's for folks are mostly setting the crossovers for them to get the speakers playing in the correct ranges but it's tough to EQ those speakers without hearing them. I've done quite a few email tunes and had a bike win an SOS event and another won Baddest Bagger recently in Tampa. Those took quite a few adjustments to get right (more like close), but it was all over email. So it can be done, but yes -- nothing like having the bike in person. So far it's worked out well, and looks like Feb timeframe I might be flying out to St. Louis and possibly Pittsburg to set up a weekend of tuning bikes for folks.

123ozzie (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 10:32 AM
Dsm Limited
Club Member

I can get to St Louis from here.... will you ride pillion to tune? Lol

Quick Reply: What Is a DSP and What Does It Do?