Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me spend money guys......

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 12:31 AM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Help me spend money guys......

I’ve literally read every related thread from page 1 though 76 to get a good Andre on the proper questions to ask here before I spend anymore cash.

What I have now,
Sony MEX70BT
Rockford DSR1
SS PN4.1000D
infinity Kappa 62.11i in fairing
Rockford PPS6-4 in lowers

its not bad, I just want better. I listen to literally EVERY kind of music, Chris Stapleton and Cody Jinx type country, Old School Ice Cube to modern Post Malone Hip Hop, and of course Slipknot/Panthers type rock/metal. With what I have now, I can seem to tune it in to sound fantastic on a single type of music but then the others suffer. Currently it’s absoluteky perfect on say, post Malone “psycho” to where it sounds like you’re in the studio with him BUT for me to get that sound, it makes the country music too warm and the metal muddy. If I tune in the sound for country then hip hop is so bright I need shades and metal is even more muddy. To get metal perfect the other two suffer so badly it will just make you not want to listen to it.

I like my music a little brighter than what’s considered “good” by audiophiles, just personal preference. I don’t want shrieking ear bleeding bright but I also don’t enjoy a flat eq.

I ordered a set of DB WDX6MOTO’s that I’m going to place in the lower fairing in place of the RF’s because they are supposedly ridiculously efficient and I’m thinking I will be able to keep them loud as hell but still clear for metal.

The next step step is the dash, I don’t dislike the infinity but even without distortion they seem to get loose/lose sharpness with metal when cranked up to an appreciable level although with hip hop and country they’re beautiful. I know slipknot and hatebreed aren’t the easiest to reproduce but I want better. I don’t run my tour pack all the time BUT I’m willing to if I can clean this up more. My current thought is to put it back on, pick up another amp, maybe the JL Audio 400/4 in the classifieds right now, move the pn4 to the tourpak add spacers, and install the kappas back there. Then go to a better front dash speaker, be it a higher end coaxial speaker or a component set.

So my question is, will this get me closer to where I want to be adding more power and another pair of speakers and if so, what speakers. Ok looking at some Hertz cpx 165 pros right now, maybe put those in the dash, DB’s in the lowers, and move infinity kappa to tourpak with another amp?

Any input is appreciated, just trying to find my happy place right now lol.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:31 AM
Outkast6991
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

Just my opinion but if you have a dsp (which you do) I'd think with a good tune you'd be able to make all genres sound decent without an equipment change. It would be interesting to see if you posted screenshots of your tune maybe someone would see something to help you out. Your current speakers do leave a lot on the table though IMO

Old 11-06-2018, 10:34 AM
slodsm
Road Master

I agree, they leave some on the table I'd like to find which is why I'm asking for recommendations. I'm not against putting components in the front, another amp, tour pak permanently one, etc. Just like my music to be loud and clear because if I'm not commuting 460 miles to work every two weeks, I'm usually on the bike so I like to make me smile hahaha. I rarely drive my truck unless it's freezing or pouring rain.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:46 AM
Outkast6991
Road Master

Originally Posted by slodsm
I agree, they leave some on the table I'd like to find which is why I'm asking for recommendations. I'm not against putting components in the front, another amp, tour pak permanently one, etc. Just like my music to be loud and clear because if I'm not commuting 460 miles to work every two weeks, I'm usually on the bike so I like to make me smile hahaha. I rarely drive my truck unless it's freezing or pouring rain.

im the same way. I'll ride into the 20's as long as the roads are dry. I'm not sure an equipment change is gonna help the "one sounds better than the other" issue you have now. My bike was the same. I could make rap sound great but metal was a complete mess. If I made country sound good rap was horrible. After having my head unit flash ( 6.5) and a good tune done I can play anything and it all sounds good.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:49 AM
slodsm
Road Master

Maybe once I get the Wdx6’s in the lowers I’ll just take it to Lucky 7 and let them tune it and see how that comes out. They’re right down the road from me.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:02 AM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Outkast6991

im the same way. I'll ride into the 20's as long as the roads are dry. I'm not sure an equipment change is gonna help the "one sounds better than the other" issue you have now. My bike was the same. I could make rap sound great but metal was a complete mess. If I made country sound good rap was horrible. After having my head unit flash ( 6.5) and a good tune done I can play anything and it all sounds good.
What flash did you use?

Old 11-06-2018, 11:32 AM
Outkast6991
Road Master

Originally Posted by InthewindMN

What flash did you use?
haze did it. Pretty sure it was 8/2

Old 11-06-2018, 03:18 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 621 Posts

why dont you look into setting up different presets for each genre? Maybe the guys at lucky 7 can get you tuned up and set you up with some easy way to switch dsp presets for each style.
m

The following users liked this post:
slodsm (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 10:12 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

U can only put so much lipstick on some of these low tier speakers folks. U can tune till ur blue in the face with some this stuff but ur only going to get so much.
If ur expectations are just a lil better sound throughout the spectrum then tune away but beyond that I don't think the kappas and Rockford speakers are going to deliver mid to high performance audio.

Define ur finish line and spend your resources wisely.

2 cents.

T

Old 11-06-2018, 10:45 PM
slodsm
Road Master

I don’t know how to define an actual finish line, simply better and clearer. At the moment I’m looking at hertz mpx 165.3 coaxials.

I’ve also checked out the Faital Pro coaxials but at 8ohms I’m not only looking at a bigger amp, I’m looking at a giant amp to power them properly. I’m not opposed to it, just not sold on it just yet. Options are open but at the moment it seems like the hertz are winning in what I think bang for the buck is in regards to amp sizing and quality of sound. Once I get the fairing where I want it, then I’ll probably move to 6x9 lids but for now, I wanna do the fairing right and have it done as it and the lowers are always going to be the most sound you get on the highway.

Quick Reply: Help me spend money guys......