Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What amp for dB drive wdx6moto?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 12:43 PM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts
Default What amp for dB drive wdx6moto?

4 ohm speaker with a 150w rms rating and if the numbers are to believed, 103.5db sensitivity.

I currently use a pn4.1000d to power what I have and a mex-70bt head unit but as always, I知 looking for more loud and more clear lol. I知 thinking of replacing fairings and lower with 4 of these dB drives from garage bagger but every amp under 600 bucks seems to be under powered for these aside from the pn4 which I already have but I知 always looking for an upgrade. I have looked at the 800.4 and 1200.4 from soundesign, the micro 4v from diamond, etc but at 4ohms they池e all between 80-110 watts rms. Would it be better to to just run with the pn4 or go to a higher quality amp with a lower power rating? Also using a dsr1 for dsp.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:05 PM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts

Those speakers are pretty efficient. I have never used them but, have heard the highs need to be tamed.
But I would think you are fine with the amp that you have. That is a good power to cost amp.

Juice

Old 11-01-2018, 01:52 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

You to NOT need a ton of power for the WDX6 Motos. I have a PN4.1000d powering mine in the fairing and they get too loud too quick basically on that setup. I tried turning the gain down but the amp didn't like it when I turned it up real loud (protect light came on). I set the gain back to about 11:00 at full pass and just installed a level control to weaken the signal going to that channel.

I realize my usage of that speaker is a little odd in that I have six other speakers to compliment them so I don't drive them as hard as I did when I just had four speakers total. I used that amp to power six speakers for several months and eight during some testing and it never broke a sweat.

In my opinion with that amp and four Motos you would blow yourself out of the saddle. You may want to consider mixing pairs of speakers so they compliment each other. For a while I had the Motos in the fairing and AD CX621s in the lowers and they blended real well.

I will say though in my opinion those speakers sound best when played loud. Now that I am not driving them hard the mids seem to come through more than the highs. It's almost as if they were designed to be pounded. If you want loud then by all means go with four of them. With that amp I am sure you will be able to hear them fine.

One thing i just thought of though is I don't know if they will fit in the lowers without some sort of modification. I remember just getting the ADs in the lowers I had to waller out the hole with a Dremel to get them to drop in all the way. Hopefully someone that has done it can chime in.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:03 PM
slodsm
Road Master

Hoyt, the amount of heat gunning and dremelling I had to do to fit the Rockford pps6-4’s in my lowers (gigantic 6.5), I can’t see the moto’s Requiring anymore work.

Maybe I’ll just go with two in the fairing and leave the Rockford midrange in the lowers for a little tamer sound.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:15 PM
JAGlide
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by slodsm
4 ohm speaker with a 150w rms rating and if the numbers are to believed, 103.5db sensitivity.

I currently use a pn4.1000d to power what I have and a mex-70bt head unit but as always, I知 looking for more loud and more clear lol. I知 thinking of replacing fairings and lower with 4 of these dB drives from garage bagger but every amp under 600 bucks seems to be under powered for these aside from the pn4 which I already have but I知 always looking for an upgrade. I have looked at the 800.4 and 1200.4 from soundesign, the micro 4v from diamond, etc but at 4ohms they池e all between 80-110 watts rms. Would it be better to to just run with the pn4 or go to a higher quality amp with a lower power rating? Also using a dsr1 for dsp.
You could try to find a used ARC Audio Moto 600.4 if your going to run 4 of those speakers, but I would think the PN4.1000D would work just fine with those speakers.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:36 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

Now that I recall in my testing when I dropped the wattage going to the Motos from 140 to 120 temporarily they actually sounded better (warmer). Too much power will cause a "brighness" to a lot of speakers because they are being over driven so to speak. More watts does not always mean better sound.

The following users liked this post:
slodsm (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 03:34 PM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,343 Likes on 3,200 Posts

I use Hertz HCX in my fairing and the motos in my lowers. The motos are very efficient and LAF. They are a bright speaker, especially with a lot of juice. I like them in my lowers as they add volume going down the road. I don't know that i'd want 4 of them though. Don't get me wrong, they'd scream, but not in a really good way. I see you have a dsp and I think you have to have one with those speakers. They need tamed of all the brightness. I've tuned those to what I believe is the best you can get them to sound and just know, they don't thump. I've got mine tuned to 97hz with about 140w. You could get them a little lower, but give up volume doing so. If you're asking, I'd say put something in the fairing that will get a mid bass thump and put the motos in the lowers.

I just now realized i didn't answer the question youi really asked. I've run mine on an Arc 600.4 and currently on an SD800.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:45 PM
slodsm
Road Master

Thanks DSM, I backed it down and ordered a single pair instead of 2. I’m contemplating an arc 600.4 I found used just to try it or just sticking with my soundstream for now.

Next I guess I’m on the hunt for something else for the fairing.

I’m tempted to try a set of components instead to see if I can get a bit more low end but also considering bag lids. Lids disappear at highway speeds if I understand correctly and I spend a lot of time on the highway at 80+ mph sooo.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:14 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by slodsm
Hoyt, the amount of heat gunning and dremelling I had to do to fit the Rockford pps6-4’s in my lowers (gigantic 6.5), I can’t see the moto’s Requiring anymore work.

Maybe I’ll just go with two in the fairing and leave the Rockford midrange in the lowers for a little tamer sound.

Thanks for the tips guys.
If ur looking to mix things up might seek out some really nice fairing speakers then see if the Motos or Rockfords win out the job in the lowers.

T

Old 11-01-2018, 08:07 PM
slodsm
Road Master

What would you recommend man? I don’t “dislike” the kappas but there is always room for improvement. I’m not avoiding PA or components either. In fact I’m considering PA in the lowers and putting these in the fairing depending on how they sound.

Just want to try something different.

Quick Reply: What amp for dB drive wdx6moto?