Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairing/ lower fairing speaker combinations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 10:37 PM
Dynaglide92
Road Master
Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Fairing/ lower fairing speaker combinations?

currently on my bike (16 rgs)
arc audio mpak 12 kit which contains
arc moto 602
arc 600.4 4 channel amp

my question is I feel that that motos by themselves Use to much power on low bass that it really doesn’t shine in the mids and highs, would adding lower fairing speakers with better mids and high help me get a better all around sound at higher highway speeds? What speakers would you recommend for lowers?

My last bike was 14 sgs and I had biketronics 7.1 kit Titan 2 channel and 7.1 speakers with line levelers these were loud and clear but lacked the fullness the motos give but yet I still heard them perfectly fine at even 80 mph. The motos pretty much get drowned by the wind at that speed.

also I know the infotainment system can hinder a system with its non adjustable settings besides a flash so I will probably ditch it this winter and run a Sony xav5000 IF it will help with better sound .

any info, reviews, experiences would be a appreciated. I’ll admit I’m an audio noob but I for sure want a better sound than what I’m getting now

Old 10-14-2018, 07:34 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynaglide92
currently on my bike (16 rgs)
arc audio mpak 12 kit which contains
arc moto 602
arc 600.4 4 channel amp

my question is I feel that that motos by themselves Use to much power on low bass that it really doesn’t shine in the mids and highs, would adding lower fairing speakers with better mids and high help me get a better all around sound at higher highway speeds? What speakers would you recommend for lowers?

My last bike was 14 sgs and I had biketronics 7.1 kit Titan 2 channel and 7.1 speakers with line levelers these were loud and clear but lacked the fullness the motos give but yet I still heard them perfectly fine at even 80 mph. The motos pretty much get drowned by the wind at that speed.

also I know the infotainment system can hinder a system with its non adjustable settings besides a flash so I will probably ditch it this winter and run a Sony xav5000 IF it will help with better sound .

any info, reviews, experiences would be a appreciated. I’ll admit I’m an audio noob but I for sure want a better sound than what I’m getting now
You're gonna get several opinions but the only one that really counts is yours. If you want a mixture of loudness and bass. You will have to ultimately throw some speakers in the lids or the saddle bags. The front stage is generally reserved for your louder speakers. The combo Arc Audio put together known as the MPAK 12 isn't very effective for what you want to accomplish. The Moto 602's will only get so loud with the power provided from the 600.4 amp. It's a great combo if you ride under 50 MPH or play in the parking lot.

At 80-90 MPH you need Pro Audio speakers and Horns to hear your music effectively. Some folks will disagree but that's okay. I've pretty much had every decent speaker out there in my bike at one time or another and thousands of dollars later . . . .That's the conclusion I came to.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:48 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

Garage Bagger Stereo is having a sale on the marine treated Mmats 6.5s this week. I put a set in my lowers and was pleased with the sound at speed. I know horns will give better highs but I'm getting along OK on the coaxials in the fairing (WDX6 Motos). I'm just not into pulling gauges and hacking stuff up so to speak.

Also as Gann mentioned the lids will add some good fill to your sound. I am running lids with tour pak speakers and it does help fill in the missing spots so to speak. To start off though maybe try some PA speakers in your lowers, that will add the mid range warmth you are missing now and might get you by for a while until you learn which way you really want to go.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:07 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Op, u mentioned that the 602s are using way too much power on "low bass." What do you have the amp crossover set at? 6.5 speakers really are not "low bass" speakers thus make sure u crossover is set correctly for the realistic sound u desire on a sled. Form that point u will have a better idea of what u r truly wanting more of.

T

Old 10-14-2018, 08:44 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

I think T may have given you a way to get some more life out of those speakers. I forgot I had a similar situation with my AD CX621s. They didn't sound all that great out on the road until I bumped the crossover up a bit, they they cleaned right up and are loud and clear for as fast as I want to go. Definitely worth a look checking on that crossover point.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:26 AM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 469 Likes on 394 Posts

Also to add to what Tailwind mentioned about the crossover setting those speakers are power hungry. How did you set the gains By ear or meter?

For a speaker to install in the lowers to complament the fairing look at some speakers with at least 93db or higher sensitivity.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:38 PM
Dynaglide92
Road Master

I honestly set it up the way the instructions told me to. I’m sure the settings they give are more on the safe side and I really didn’t want to blow a speaker out so soon. I haven’t used a volt meter to fine fine tune yet but I just might when I get time. Also my remarks regarding the 602 as having a lot of base is based on previous speakers biketronics Titans 7.1 they were great at mids and highs on the freeway.

​​​​​​​

Old 10-14-2018, 02:40 PM
Dynaglide92
Road Master

Originally Posted by Babyboy
Also to add to what Tailwind mentioned about the crossover setting those speakers are power hungry. How did you set the gains By ear or meter?

For a speaker to install in the lowers to complament the fairing look at some speakers with at least 93db or higher sensitivity.
Yea That’s what I meant something to compliment the setup I already have to fill out the mids and highs.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:38 PM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,348 Likes on 3,201 Posts

OP. Are you using a line leveler or dsp with your setup? Tuning for that with the stock head unit really requires one or the other.

I'll say, I like my DB Motos in my lowers. They aren't thumpy speakers but they are loud, clear and carry to 90mph or more. They are a 103db speaker and LAF. However, I use a dsp and this gives you the ability to tame the brightness of the speaker. If you have lows covered in the fairing, these IMHO would compliment your fairing.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:07 PM
Dynaglide92
Road Master

No I’m not using a bt line leveler or dsp that’s why I bought the arc kit because it said I didn’t need it. its either I buy a dsp or just ditch the infotainment system and get a headunit with less restrictions on fine tuning it it’ll cost the same as a dsp if I sell my infotainment

Quick Reply: Fairing/ lower fairing speaker combinations?