Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PRV 8MB450 for bags

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 12:03 PM
ssmorga78
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default PRV 8MB450 for bags

Anyone using or tested this speaker out? I am starting to think I might want to throw a set of 8's in my bags to handle my low end needs. My current 6x9's are "OK", but I would like a little more lowend and a little more volume out of my system. I am currently running a set of PRV 6MR500-NDY-4's in my lowers, a set of Cadence XPro 69CX's in my bag lids, powered by a SoundStream PN4.1000D.... and have a Rockford DSR1 inbound for DSP. This is all going on a 2009 Road King and I am trying to fight from putting a fairing on the front(SG style...), but lately I have honestly thought about doing a semi Road Glide conversion.... and by that, I mean throwing a Road Glide fairing on the front and loading it up with some 6.5's and some horns in the gauge spots and keeping my current tank speedo/tach combo where it's at. Just looking for some input on which way would be best to go.... 8's in the bags or throw a fairing on the front?

Old 10-11-2018, 04:50 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 617 Posts

you are going to get more sound that you can hear nicely if you put the fairing on.
as far as the model of PRV you mentioned, I ran them for a bit in my bags, they sound very nice and have good bottom end, but the dont get as lound as the Forte Model. To me it seemed like they would go deeper in the bottom end, but i don;t know if I was feeding them enough power either. They need the power and you can get them in 4 ohm too. with enough power and dsp tuning they sound real good. they are just a little lower in sensitivity than some of the other models. I was not unhappy with them, i just wanted more and was having some other issues at the time also. I was also running these with 6x9's in the lids, so they were definitely targeted for low end response, tuned with a band pass crossover.

Last edited by marcodarq; 10-11-2018 at 04:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ssmorga78 (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 05:40 PM
ssmorga78
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by marcodarq
you are going to get more sound that you can hear nicely if you put the fairing on.
as far as the model of PRV you mentioned, I ran them for a bit in my bags, they sound very nice and have good bottom end, but the dont get as lound as the Forte Model. To me it seemed like they would go deeper in the bottom end, but i don;t know if I was feeding them enough power either. They need the power and you can get them in 4 ohm too. with enough power and dsp tuning they sound real good. they are just a little lower in sensitivity than some of the other models. I was not unhappy with them, i just wanted more and was having some other issues at the time also. I was also running these with 6x9's in the lids, so they were definitely targeted for low end response, tuned with a band pass crossover.
What did you end up going with? I was just going off specs and saw that "according to specs"(which I know doesn't really mean squat in real world performance) that those MB450's went down lower than anything else I saw on PRV 8" wise. I don't want to really go the 10" route because I want them at the rear of the bag and don't want to cut out the center shock section of the bag. How much power were you throwing at them, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 10-13-2018, 08:39 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 617 Posts

i did try them and they did go lower, they just werent as loud as the forte's that are there now. i tried between 100 and 300 watts and while i liked them, they did not quite get there for me. I have as of late, found that I was having issues with my rear stage input signals, so that could be the cause of why I wasn't super happy with them. dont get me wrong here either, they sounded good and i could hear them at speed, the Forte's are louder and i think that i got my signal issues worked out, i'll know more tomorrow when i head in to the shop. Even at their best though, i still want more! going in tomorrow to build the adapter plate/ring assembly so that i can try tens in the bags, by themselves, with no lid speakers. gonna see how the tens alone, and the tp pods blend. if that works out, i'll toss in a couple of horns and be done with it, i think, and at least hope that i'll be done.
m

Old 10-14-2018, 05:03 AM
Respect
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Take a look at the Beyma 8P300Fe/N-8. They play loooow.