Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weather / Splash Resistant Cover idea for after markets DD radio's

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 03:14 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Weather / Splash Resistant Cover idea for after markets DD radio's

My recently purchased RG came with an aftermarket head unit which isn't weather resistant so I have been searching for a way to go about providing some kind of protection for the radio. I am open to a unit like Biketronics offers, but before I decide to invest in one of them, I am going to work on something a little different and hopefully more cost effective to preserving the head unit I already have. I sent the manufacture of the radio I have an email asking about purchasing "replacement parts.' I want to get two replacement trim rings like the one that goes around the face of the radio after install. I want to attempt to modify them so I can mount the all together. I want to put four rare earth magnets (one in each corner) of two of the trims, this would be used to hold them together. the third trim I would bond to the one trim that doesn't permanently sit around the radio. That third trim would also have a clear piece of Lexan bonded to it creating a weather proof cover. I would be able to keep the cover in my saddlebag in a large Crown Royal bag or some type of protected bag. Then I can just mount it to the radio's trim when weather is bad. I just haven't figured out a good way to create a good seal between the two magnetically held pieces. I figure all together I might be looking at $50 or so in material and parts. if it doesn't work it's not a big investment and will allow me to think over the units BT offers.

Here is a drawing of what I want to do.