Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lid Condoms

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 09:22 PM
uplandpinter
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Lid Condoms

Has anyone used with success? After reading posts from guys talking about what they use to keep there speakers dry in rain I decided to try a set for my lids. All other speakers have frog skin material and it has worked flawlessly. In June I purchased a set for my lids and they have been in my tour pack until last week when I needed them for protection because of rain while we were on a week long trip. On the third day and forth day it rained on and off most of the time. I put them on the first time I needed my rain suit and they stayed on for two and a half days. During this time I did not turn my stereo on. I checked on them a few times between showers the first day and every thing seamed fine but by the end of the trip my VO 6x9s had soaked with water and are shot.

I just went back to the site that I ordered them from and they have a video showing where they pour water on them and claim they are waterproof. Do not believe this it is false

Old 10-01-2018, 01:43 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 794 Likes on 618 Posts

Hey Upland,
My experience with the vo's and rain was not the same as yours, and i think that i know why. By leaving the condoms on, the speakers did not get the chance to knock any of the standing water off of them and the chance for natural evaporation was limited by the cover. When i installed my speakers, the same night i got drenched, and for several days after, they got very wet. I did not run the sound while the rain was falling, but when i came to a stop, i did run it at a low volume, just to shake them up a bit and try to get any standing water off of them. They survived, the VO B3's that i had on a bridge did not, as they got water down into them in the diaphram which caused them to fail. WHo did you buy your speakers from? Try contacting DD and see if they will help you. If you got them from an authorized dealer, with a brick and mortar store, you might be able to get some support.
m

Old 10-01-2018, 02:00 PM
Respect
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

No offense man but come on, did you really believe they're water-proof? You can breath through them for goodness sake lol.

The condoms are water-resistant at best and only for so long (kinda like a cheap tent).

Mean Machine needs to clean up their statement or stop selling them. In the end I blame them, not you. They made the claim.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:09 PM
Lucky 7 Custom Cycles
Banned
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by uplandpinter
Has anyone used with success? After reading posts from guys talking about what they use to keep there speakers dry in rain I decided to try a set for my lids. All other speakers have frog skin material and it has worked flawlessly. In June I purchased a set for my lids and they have been in my tour pack until last week when I needed them for protection because of rain while we were on a week long trip. On the third day and forth day it rained on and off most of the time. I put them on the first time I needed my rain suit and they stayed on for two and a half days. During this time I did not turn my stereo on. I checked on them a few times between showers the first day and every thing seamed fine but by the end of the trip my VO 6x9s had soaked with water and are shot.

I just went back to the site that I ordered them from and they have a video showing where they pour water on them and claim they are waterproof. Do not believe this it is false
We use the Speed By Design covers. Seem to be a bit better than the ones from Mean Machine.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:37 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 794 Likes on 618 Posts

i should also mention that my speakers are mounted in HT lids, with NO water protection over them, just the drain channels in the lids.
m

Old 05-13-2020, 10:29 AM
Jpluisi
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm a little late to this thread but there is a cloth by https://www.akustikstoff.com/index.php?language=en that looks like it would provide very good waterproofing and still remain sound transparent. You would have to figure out how to cut and apply them. I'm guessing one could apply some adhesive along the border of the speaker, stretch it over it and it should hold. They have a video on their website and they seem to do a really nice job repelling water. I see a lot of you putting car speakers on your bikes and this might be one option for you. Once I upgrade my system, I am considering these in the fairing if the speakers I go with are only water-resistant or none at all. Dropping $400+ on quality speakers only to be ruined by rain would just suck. I am still concerned with shock, UV rays, and humidity but I think the cloth would help with UV rays, still not sure about humidity and shock since Harley has to mount the motor for maximum vibrations....

I was looking at speakers for Jeep Wranglers since they have to stand up to a lot but not sure if they would be a direct fit or require modification.
https://www.extremeterrain.com/jl-au...T5_Var3=yellow

Old 05-13-2020, 10:31 AM
Jpluisi
Advanced
Old 05-13-2020, 10:33 AM
Jpluisi
Advanced

The tech specs for both JL and Alpine don't say water-resistant or waterproof so you might have to google them to find out but I figure if they are made for a Wrangler, they will get wet at some point and deal with shock and humidity.

Old 05-13-2020, 10:50 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 487 Posts

Alright man. Thanks but waterproofing has been covered

Old 05-13-2020, 11:12 AM
Lethal Weapon
Road Master
Received 141 Likes on 100 Posts

Here's info:

SIK Baggers video on these lid covers:

SKN-IT makes waterproof speaker lid covers and bike covers.

I have a set for my lids & love them!

Link:
https://www.skn-it.com/products/saddle-bags

The following users liked this post:
Makdaddy (05-15-2020)

Quick Reply: Lid Condoms