Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PRV NEO/DD B3 tuning info?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 09:03 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Default PRV NEO/DD B3 tuning info?

OK .. Just got my PRV NEO's installed yesterday in my 2009 batwing. I had a set of Polk Audio DB1001 tweeters on hand until I get the B3's later this week, so I popped those in. I'm running a BT4180 amp, so I will be using the PRV/B3's (using supplied 12db/octave filters) on the front channels in parallel. I am using the rear channel for fairing lower speakers (96db PA mid range's). I actually wondered if it would be of more benefit to use front solely for the NEO's and use Channel 2 to run the B3/lowers in parallel ?
Without external amp adjustments, I will be relying on my Sony MEX-M70 HU. I'm thinking the HFP needs to be at either the 80hz or 100hz mark? Not sure about HFP slope?
HPF FREQ (high pass filter frequency) Selects the front/rear speaker cut-off frequency: [OFF], [50Hz], [60Hz], [80Hz], [100Hz], [120Hz].
HPF SLOP (high pass filter slope) Selects the HPF slope (effective only when [HPF FREQ] is set to other than [OFF]): [1], [2], [3].

EQ preset: Off Loudness: Off
Would it be better to buy a pair of passive x-overs in lieu of the supplied B3 filters, to also allow 3500hz cross point? Input appreciated .. Thx

Old 10-08-2018, 08:00 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

OK .. It's been over a week and no feedback, so I'll rephrase. I will be running the fairing speakers (PRV NDY/tweeters) in parallel. I have read a lot of threads and found this not to be ideal, but have read where others have done it. It's just how it will be done. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a particular 2 way passive crossover that they might have experience with to get a component effect? I know well enough not to just slap on any 2 way xover. I also have a family member who deals in DD, so the B3's would be the likely choice. I also see that Mmats has their DTX26T tweeters rated at 8 ohms. IF I read right, in theory, running these in parallel would commit about 65% to the PRV's and 35% to the tweets. Being his product, David Thompson at MMats believes this would work well with the efficiency of the DTX's. Not concerned with HU tuning as I'll figure that out. Thought I'd try again to those who might have experience in this. Thx

Last edited by troop; 10-08-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:47 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Imho, if ur running that 4180 w no gains, ur in a bad place regarding gains.

If it were me I would not waste the energy on a work around and just sell the amp to someone not crossing over into the more advanced audio arena.

I know this is not what u wanted to hear but don't think ur gonna get many responses regarding work arounds for your current scenarios.

If ur committed to rolling w the current plan then the B3 have caps so tape ur face and ears on and roll w it!!

T

The following users liked this post:
troop (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 03:29 PM
SledHeadEd
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ideally for that setup you want a dsp and a micro amp for the tweets. Then you can cross them at the dsp allowing fine tuning as well as turn them up and down to balance things out.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:28 AM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 158 Posts

T's right I think you'll be disappointed until you swap amps.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:53 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 795 Likes on 618 Posts

i've run the setup that you describe, but with a different amp (RF TM400x4ad) so i don't know what kind of gain issues you might have. Dave explained the same concept to me when i got started in the PA speaker stuff. I am using the Mmats DTX26t horn, (which I like better than the B3, but thats an opinion thing). I first tried it with the Mmats horn and the PA601.4s and was extremely happy with the sound. using the caps that come with the horns(both the Mmats and the DD's come with them). Use the 100HZ cross point from your HU as a starting point, you might be able to get away with 80 and a steep slope HPF, but you will have to try it and see how it works for you. You will definitely hear the horns, but i was able to tone them down quite a bit with HU eq/treble adjustments while doing the setup rough tuning. i have a bit of a HF hearing loss, but I don't think that they are as harsh/ loud as a lot of people report.
After setting up the Mmats stuff I started hearing about the PRV stuff and the great reports they had, so I switched the PA 601.4's for the 6MR500 neos and was even more happy! 80 hz crossover was very nice, and i currently have them crossed at 70hz and to me they sound great. using the caps from the dtx26t's.
All that being said, yes you can do what you are thinking about. Will it be better with a Different amp and or DSP? I think yes it will be better with a DSP and an amp to drive just the horns, just so you can set up the best volume/mix level for the horns, having them on their own channels is the best way to control the overall mix.
This is actually the next step in my own personal journey and hopefully i'll be able to leave this **** alone for a while!!
m

The following users liked this post:
troop (10-10-2018)