Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American hard bag speaker pod mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 07:51 PM
firemedic4500
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default American hard bag speaker pod mod

saw this come across my Facebook feed. They are telling us to seal the Rushmore pods for better sound and louder output. Here is the PSA they posted. The whole thing can be found on their Facebook page with pics.

Thoughts???

Increase Power Handling of Fairing Speakers.

There are a couple simple things that can be done to increase the power handling and efficiency of your fairing speakers.

1. take the speaker pods apart and seal them. The factory pods are specifically designed to not be water tight. This is bad for speaker performance. The good news is that the enclosure can be disassembled, gasketed, and reassembled easily. Also make sure that you seal the water drain hole at the bottom. You will notice a jump in output afterwards. The enclosure must be totally air tight for this to work. When you press on the cone you should not be able to detect any leaks. The cone speaker suspension should be much stiffer.

2. Run active. The woofers never see all of the power that your amp has to offer when you use passive crossovers. If you have 4 channels to play with and a DSP, ditch the crossovers. You will be surprised at how much potential there is. The large coils in the passive crossovers are a compromise by design. Manufacturers ship these with the speakers as a means to get the speakers to work with just two channels. Generally not because there is some hidden advantage. Even with very expensive speakers. Often times a speaker set can play louder and sound better and do it with less power in an active system.
more tips at www.AmericanHardBag.com

Old 09-19-2018, 08:12 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

I agree with the active xover part (passive reduces power by 25-30%), but not the pods. Some speakers work better in a sealed enclosure, others need air flow to perform well. I’m a believer in putting speakers in an enclosure but It depends on the components in the system. My Aws like the pods but need a good size port to get full excursion. Without air flow the cone movement is restricted and the pods will start to heat up. That is what melts voice coils in speakers.

Last edited by InthewindMN; 09-19-2018 at 08:39 PM.