Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with settings...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 02:30 PM
Morpheusdead
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by haze324

I use a Line out converter.

I thought the dsr1 could be used as a line out converter itself. regardless if you are using a line out converter you are hooking up to the speaker wires ? yes? and if so with that flash the rear speaker wires are active yes? and if so DO you need to put the resistors on the speaker wires like you do on the other no amp flashes?

Old 09-18-2018, 08:59 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
T can you elaborate more on needing to fade for "riding". If I had to chose between the flattest signal and fade, I'll take the flattest signal possible..
Not sure there really is a need to elaborate. It's a personal preference and I personally think this flash hunt thing is a boondoggle. Imho, 4/0 w a LL or DSP works very well for 90%+ of sled audio enthusiasts & the equipment they r using. Having the fade function readily available in an attempt to have the most complimentary audio coming from the front and rear stages throughout the speed o meter band is just a very reasonable option to desire.
I totally understand your perspective though. You are a parking lot competition guy thus fade means nothing when u have a laptop, tab, pad, or app sitting on the table next to you.
Just one of the differences that were recently discussed about build strategy deltas between the static display sled audio and the riding audio population

T

Last edited by Tailwind; 09-18-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:19 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

T, what I'm asking is what are you trying to achieve with fading? Perhaps it can be accomplished other ways AND give you better sound quality with a better flash. So lets say you horns are too high, instead of fade would a **** work, or a DSP that connects to your phone or a preset DSP (just thinking out loud, maybe there's other options). You want to lower the tour pack because your wife is on the back and the speaker are too loud next to her head, could a preset do the same for you, etc. There's guys dumping ALOT of money on equipment, you got Yoop whooping on guys at Rallys I'd say there's a few guys here with some advance systems and/or some advanced equipment. I say explore all options.

Oh and I sold the audio bike. I'm building a rider bike...motor is getting worked on as we speak. Even better I don't plan on cutting into the fairing to install horns! ha

Old 09-18-2018, 10:24 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

I guess the real question is how much difference in sound quality can be achieved with one flash over another when using a dsp? Is the end result worth sacrificing fade for on average systems or only advanced systems?

Old 09-18-2018, 11:14 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by InthewindMN
I guess the real question is how much difference in sound quality can be achieved with one flash over another when using a dsp? Is the end result worth sacrificing fade for on average systems or only advanced systems?

T

Old 09-19-2018, 05:41 AM
liscio42
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Morpheusdead
So I have a 2017 Road Glide special. I have been very disappointed in the audio since I got it. I am a very fast rider etc. almost always going 90+ and for long rides.
Anyway I did what i thought was lots of reading/research and finally decided to install lower fairings, a DSR1, a ss pn4.1000d amp, and four hertz hcx 165 speakers.
I read all the installation and set up info on american hard bag and some here, and never could get a good sound out of it all. Finally I decided maybe the amp was too much for those speakers as I had to have the gain on amp almost all the way down.
So I returned the hcx 165's and bought 4 x Hertz MPX mille pro 165.3 speakers. i was able to turn amp up some to about 11 o'clock but now sometimes music pauses for a second if I'm playing it loud i think amp getting hot. Plus I can't for the life of me figure out how to properly set dsr1. I have tried the pink noise file and a rta app to show me the scale so i can try to flatten the signal with the EQ on dsr1 but honestly if i do that it sounds like crap and clips even more.

Looking for help, a better explanation of how to set this stuff up right. I guess I'm just not understanding the stuff out there i have seen.
My Arc speakers did the same thing. I had gain up too much and I fried them

Old 09-19-2018, 08:01 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by InthewindMN
That's the ultimate question. Like many decisions in life I say identify the requirement and then apply a solution and in some cases the solution could be more uselful than a fade feature. I don't think its a bad thing to explore those options. Look back on this forum a year ago and the consensus was if you had 2-4 speakers you don't need a DSP. Fast forward a year and there's a post a week asking about DSP's. You also have guys running JL VXI amps that run over a grand a pop. I'd think it would beneficial for those guys to explore options that give them the best sound quality and meet their requirement to have a fade/tune option on the fly.

The following users liked this post:
DennyDeck (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 11:11 AM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Comp guys are there any of the top guys showing up with no dsp.Are the days of just tuning with amp long gone ??? are cage guys all running dsp as well.Dose anyone think aftermarket head unit might sound better than what some have as there best dsp tune with 6.5.
I have spent so many hours tuning dsp ,crying about dsp ,bothering others about dsp . Seams i get to where i think i have it nailed then at some point for no real reason try something else and find one channel improvement then next thing know back in there changing things again . I enjoy the install more than the fine tune part i swear my ears perception of music changes minute bye minute.

I think fade works well for me cause wife will enjoy 8.8 and 6x9 playing full but half way threw day she wants less thought dsr1 would be the answer for change at pit stop but one i dont like takeing the time to do it two dsr can be slow as hell and temperamental .psm with toggle was better but still had second paragraph problems.I have not touched my home or car's setup in years yet this bike audio has kicked my **** .

Haze how often to customers change there mind leave shop all smiles then come back and say nope not enough . think i might just be addicted to the hunt rather than the meat.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:39 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLYINGBROKE
Comp guys are there any of the top guys showing up with no dsp.Are the days of just tuning with amp long gone ??? are cage guys all running dsp as well.Dose anyone think aftermarket head unit might sound better than what some have as there best dsp tune with 6.5.
I have spent so many hours tuning dsp ,crying about dsp ,bothering others about dsp . Seams i get to where i think i have it nailed then at some point for no real reason try something else and find one channel improvement then next thing know back in there changing things again . I enjoy the install more than the fine tune part i swear my ears perception of music changes minute bye minute.

I think fade works well for me cause wife will enjoy 8.8 and 6x9 playing full but half way threw day she wants less thought dsr1 would be the answer for change at pit stop but one i dont like takeing the time to do it two dsr can be slow as hell and temperamental .psm with toggle was better but still had second paragraph problems.I have not touched my home or car's setup in years yet this bike audio has kicked my **** .

Haze how often to customers change there mind leave shop all smiles then come back and say nope not enough . think i might just be addicted to the hunt rather than the meat.
FB what's up man!! I know of a few TOP bikes with no DSP's. The owner of Sound Off Series has a blue RG named Ms. Summer that won every single show down last year he went up against and all he runs is a Pioneer 80PRS headunit. His bike is phenomenal. 6 Beyma 6.5's four horns, two 10 inch ported subs. For the record the only bike in that class to shut him down was Louie Bailey (he runs a DSP!). Last year King Kong didn't have a DSP, and Joey Hensely's RK that won those most first place shows didn't have a DSP. He had a Bluetooth interface with an external crossover. So yes at the highest level of competition I can name quite a few. I think slowly but sure folks hare migrating more towards DSP's though. We just added one to King Kong.

We hardly have guys that want more. There's always some but our average bike night guy who cruises around town is pretty satisfied with what we install. It's the guys who compete that have the bug to always want more.

I think in line with IntheWind when he asks is gains sound quality worth sacrificing fade you have to do that with other items for example. Is getting more bass worth sacrificing volume. I've had to answer that question to myself a bunch of time. So and So's bike is louder but mine has more bass what do the judges want this time around. In your position you have to at some point say this sounds fantastic "FOR ME" and my needs and just enjoy it. Have you flashed your HU? I still think that might get you to an easier tuning starting point.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:21 PM
Morpheusdead
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So thread completely hijacked can't even get my simple questions answered. Awesome. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Need help with settings...