Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie-2005 Ultra stereo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 06:18 PM
TXPhil
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spoke with Donna at Biketronics on email. She stated that the lower speakers should work as long as I have vented lowers, not sure what that means. Is she asking if my lowers have the manual vents below the area where the lower speakers will go or if the area where the speaker will go is vented?

Also she stated "The BT4180 can do 4 (4ohm)pairs of speakers just fine as long as we match the outputs in the parallel set up"...umm not sure what she is saying, help? And is she stating that all i need for this set up is 1 BT4180 and not two?

This is a rabbit hole,

Old 09-21-2018, 06:21 PM
USAproud
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm in WI but maybe some of the TX guys will chime in to help out. They have awesome customer service. They are powerful amps but lack adjustment which may limit you on different speakers if you change in the future. Just something to think about

Old 09-21-2018, 06:38 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Awful lot of money for an amp that you can't tune. Great people, great company, great customer service, but IMO this is an amp for a novice that has no clue and just wants to set it and forget it.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:08 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
Awful lot of money for an amp that you can't tune. Great people, great company, great customer service, but IMO this is an amp for a novice that has no clue and just wants to set it and forget it.
I have to agree. If you are wanting a bunch of power then the focal sport is your best bet. At least you will be able to adjust it to your liking. With most coax/ component speakers, 100 to 150w is all you need to sound good. Once you add a ton of power to most coax, they will get louder but the SQ will not be as good. It is a fine line between over all volume and SQ with coax speakers as each set will sound different than another type or even the same type with a different amp.
Just food for thought.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:49 AM
TXPhil
Novice

Sound quality is of importance to me so Focal it is for the amp. Will one Focal Sport amp power the fairing/lowers/rear pod/lid speakers? I believe it will as most of the speakers are 150-200 watt RMS range and the amp shows 150 watt on 4 channels...if I am understanding this correctly.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:54 AM
TXPhil
Novice

Living in a southern state where it is HOT most of the time my concern was the dissipation of heat from the amp. I havent read anything that says the Focal gets too hot but I also dont see how the Focal gets rid of its heat where the BT amp uses two fans...not sure if anything will help since it will go in the fairing...I dont know, my pea brain is going into overload. On the other hand I found a Focal dealer within 3 miles of my house...gonna go check em out today.

Thank you all for the guidance. I am almost ready to pull the trigger on all these pieces of equipment and get ready for my build in the cooler Texas weather next month.

I am assuming that I will not have an issue hooking this amp up to the HU I have decided on, correct?

Old 09-22-2018, 10:30 AM
TXPhil
Novice

I went to my local Focal dealer and spoke to him about the set up. He called his Focal Rep, who answered on a Saturday, because he was worried about the 6x9's pulling too much bass. After much discussion the Focal Rep said the amp will handle the set up just fine but that there will not be much bass due to the speakers I am using which is not the point of this set up, especially on a mc.

I ordered the amp. Now, opinions on the BT 7p1 fairing and rear pod speakers: pro's/con's? Stick with 6.5 Hertz/ARC/? I'm pretty sure the ARC 6x9's are worth the money after all I have read...any wisdom on 6x9's for this set up with the Focal Sport amp?

Old 09-22-2018, 04:46 PM
TXPhil
Novice

Here is what I have come up with, and thank all yall for walking me through the build portion:

HU: Sony MEX-M70BT
AMP: Focal Sport
Fairing speakers: BT Pro 7.1 or Hertz SV 165.1 or Hertz MPX 165.3 PRO (if they will fit)
Lower speakers: Hertz SV 165.1 or Hertz MPX 165.3 PRO (if they will fit)
Rear pods: Hertz SV 165.1 or Hertz MPX 165.3 PRO (if they will fit)
Lids: Hogtunes for year model bike
Lid speakers: ARC Moto 692 or Hertz MPX 690.3 PRO(if they will fit)

If I have read correctly I can cover the speakers that are not waterproof with speaker mesh and spray some campguard on the mesh. So am I way off course? Please let me know your thoughts...if I have read these threads correctly, using Pro Audio speakers with the Focal Sport amp is a good thing, they tend to really shine with an amp like that.

Old 09-22-2018, 06:26 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

I'm a newb at this stuff but I will throw out one thought to the OP. I went with Hogtunes lids and had them painted to match and did not have much more invested than the RF kit because I got used speakers off of the forum here. The reason I did was in case I didn't like them or needed to regain storage space I could just pop the original lids back on. I always try to err on the side of caution when I can. I can also say that the Hogtunes lids fit perfectly and are water tight and come with all the wiring and assembly components you will need.

The following users liked this post:
TXPhil (09-23-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 09:33 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by TXPhil
Here is what I have come up with, and thank all yall for walking me through the build portion:

HU: Sony MEX-M70BT
AMP: Focal Sport
Fairing speakers: BT Pro 7.1 or Hertz SV 165.1 or Hertz MPX 165.3 PRO (if they will fit)
Lower speakers: Hertz SV 165.1 or Hertz MPX 165.3 PRO (if they will fit)
Rear pods: Hertz SV 165.1 or Hertz MPX 165.3 PRO (if they will fit)
Lids: Hogtunes for year model bike
Lid speakers: ARC Moto 692 or Hertz MPX 690.3 PRO(if they will fit)

If I have read correctly I can cover the speakers that are not waterproof with speaker mesh and spray some campguard on the mesh. So am I way off course? Please let me know your thoughts...if I have read these threads correctly, using Pro Audio speakers with the Focal Sport amp is a good thing, they tend to really shine with an amp like that.
That's a tuff call on that setup brother. The SV165 is one of my favorite speakers for clarity and detail but they are damn loud and not really that warm thus ur gonna need to compliment them just a bit with some midbass if u put them in the fairing.
Just depends on how aggressive u want to get.

Thinking initially that the more conservative option starts w the MPX in the fairing and TP, SVs in Lowers, and the lids will be a toss up depending on your ears. The Hertz 6x9 are very nice.

Ur gonna need a micro amp to make it work.

There are lots of other speaker options so take ur time, but u cannot go wrong w Hertz for detail and SQ.

T

The following users liked this post:
TXPhil (09-23-2018)

Quick Reply: Newbie-2005 Ultra stereo upgrade