Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King System Planning

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 11:23 AM
ssmorga78
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Road King System Planning

So, I am planning on installing a system on my 2009 Road King. I am just going with speaker lids and a set of speaker lowers. I am pretty well set on what to use in my lids, but am hitting an issue with what speakers to use in the lowers. I was planning on just using single 6x9 lids with a set of Cadence Pro 6x9's and INITIALLY thought about just throwing a set of PRV 6MB200's in the lowers..... but the 4ohm PRV's only have a range upto 4500kHz. I was going to use the 4ohms so that they would match the 4ohm set in the rear. So.... then I started thinking about just using the 8ohm version of the PRV 6MB200 as it goes up to 6500kHz and then using some kind of shallow mount tweeter to get my ohms down to where they needed to be up front, BUT what kind of room am I going to have to mount those tweets?

SO throw out some ideas, critiques, suggestions...... I am all ears.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:27 PM
zr_smith
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2008 Road King Police that I'm turning into an audio bike. I currently have 2014+ OEM hard bags with 6x9 speaker lids and 6 1/2 speaker pods in the lowers from Advanblack.
Polk MM series speakers front and back. The front speakers are a component set so I mounted the tweater in the center of the speaker grill. I got a 4 channel amp and bluetooth controller from SonicElectronix.
I'm planning on putting subwoofers and another amp in it this winter. It's much louder than any stock fairing set up, just lacking bass.
I'm really happy with the sound quality of my Polk speakers and they can withstand the elements.

I've thought about adding another tweeter to the front but I can't find a good mounting location. The other option would be mounting a tweeter in the front of the saddlebag- either cutting a hole for flush mount or drilling a hole/running a wire for surface mount. You could always get full range/component woofers and mount them inside your bag firing toward the rear tire.