Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setting HZ help

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 08:07 PM
Ryan42
Road Master
Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by JAGlide
Ryan42 - Maybe this will help, this is how it was explained to me a while ago.

Okay - Quick and dirty explanation. You never want yo use the LOW filter unless you have Subs.

What the FULL setting does is let ALL your frequencies the speakers are capable of pass through.

Again, The FULL setting lets ALL the frequencies pass through. So some of the bass notes lower than 80Hz will pass through as well. This can sometimes cause distortion if the speaker can't handle low bass.

Now the Filter most commonly used on our bikes is the HP filter or HIGH PASS filter. Once set to HIGH you can use the frequency dial to cut off frequencies you don't want your speakers to play. That said.

You want to set the filter to HIGH PASS and if you set the frequency dial to 80 Hz
That way your speakers will NOT play any frequencies below 80Hz.

Note - this is a example if you set your dial to 80 Hz
that is a great explanation. Thank you! So is adjusting the hz even worth it? I’m only using two speakers. It seems to me like putting it on full and not messing with the hertz is an easy set and forget kinda thing like a general all purpose sound. If I choose to mess with the hpf I’m just tuning more to the sound that might be better. But honestly idk what that sound would even be. Since I don’t expect bass out of these tiny little speakers

Old 09-17-2018, 08:24 PM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,596 Likes on 3,245 Posts

That's why you want to set it high pass. Your tiny little speakers wont take lows (bass) very well. It will distort, sound muddy and possibly let out the magic smoke. Taming those frequencies will allow the speaker to play where it likes to be.

Hope that helps

Old 09-18-2018, 01:51 PM
wevsspot
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

A couple of my own observations on the B52.....

The HPF frequency adjustments on the dial aren't linear, so the only thing we really know is the range from 40 to 400. I noticed that and even called DA tech support to confirm my own observations (which he did).

If you're using a BT355 with that AMP, it would be worth your effort to tune the AMP trying both FULL and HPF to determine which configuration sounds the best to you.

With my last two installs using B2/B52 amps in conjunction with a BT355, my best results were using the BT355 to handle the filtering and setting the CV amps to FULL.

YMMV.

The following users liked this post:
Ryan42 (09-19-2018)