Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setting HZ help

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 03:22 PM
Ryan42
Road Master
Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Oh damn well I wana aim for right around the quarter mark then I assume. Honestly I turned it a bunch of ways and couldn’t really tell a difference however I did notice that my gain was a lot higher than I’ve previously had it so I’m either deaf or idk. Lol speakers still work though

Old 09-17-2018, 03:29 PM
Outkast6991
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan42
Oh damn well I wana aim for right around the quarter mark then I assume. Honestly I turned it a bunch of ways and couldn’t really tell a difference however I did notice that my gain was a lot higher than I’ve previously had it so I’m either deaf or idk. Lol speakers still work though

is your filter switch set to all pass or high pass( hpf)? it should be on HPF

Old 09-17-2018, 03:38 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Outkast6991
Yup that ^^^^^^

Old 09-17-2018, 04:46 PM
Ryan42
Road Master

Originally Posted by Outkast6991
Originally Posted by SBates08
Yup that ^^^^^^
I set it to flat and then adjusted gain and hz. So I gotta go to hpf adjust hz and then go to flat for the gain? Do I need to adjust lpf?

Old 09-17-2018, 05:10 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

I set it to flat and then adjusted gain and hz. So I gotta go to hpf adjust hz and then go to flat for the gain? Do I need to adjust lpf?
If you are going to try to set the freq you have to have it set to HPF. It doesn't matter if this switch is on HPF or Full as far as gain setting is concerned.
FYI-if the switch is set to Flat or Full, the freq adjustment does not work. The freq dial only works in HPF or LPF.

Last edited by SBates08; 09-17-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:51 PM
Ryan42
Road Master

If you are going to try to set the freq you have to have it set to HPF. It doesn't matter if this switch is on HPF or Full as far as gain setting is concerned.
FYI-if the switch is set to Flat or Full, the freq adjustment does not work. The freq dial only works in HPF or LPF.
okay so do I adjust gain then hz or hz then gain? Also do I have to set the lpf or only worry about high

Old 09-17-2018, 05:54 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Set your freq on HPF only and leave the switch on HPF. LPF is for subs.
Set your freq dial where you think it needs to be and start adjusting gains. I'd start with the freq around 90hz.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:44 PM
Ryan42
Road Master

Set your freq on HPF only and leave the switch on HPF. LPF is for subs.
Set your freq dial where you think it needs to be and start adjusting gains. I'd start with the freq around 90hz.
okay so if I adjust both the gain and hz on hpf then why wouldn’t Put it back on flat aka the middle switch after i adjust the hz and gain. From my understanding that allows the two speakers to get the full range of sound. Sorry I don’t get this audio stuff very well I’m trying to learn.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:50 PM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

okay so if I adjust both the gain and hz on hpf then why wouldn’t Put it back on flat aka the middle switch after i adjust the hz and gain. From my understanding that allows the two speakers to get the full range of sound. Sorry I don’t get this audio stuff very well I’m trying to learn.
If you put it on Flat it ignores the settings you just made on the hz for hpf. Kind of like setting the temp on your car AC then turning the AC off.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:01 PM
JAGlide
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Ryan42 - Maybe this will help, this is how it was explained to me a while ago.

Okay - Quick and dirty explanation. You never want yo use the LOW filter unless you have Subs.

What the FULL setting does is let ALL your frequencies the speakers are capable of pass through.

Again, The FULL setting lets ALL the frequencies pass through. So some of the bass notes lower than 80Hz will pass through as well. This can sometimes cause distortion if the speaker can't handle low bass.

Now the Filter most commonly used on our bikes is the HP filter or HIGH PASS filter. Once set to HIGH you can use the frequency dial to cut off frequencies you don't want your speakers to play. That said.

You want to set the filter to HIGH PASS and if you set the frequency dial to 80 Hz
That way your speakers will NOT play any frequencies below 80Hz.

Note - this is a example if you set your dial to 80 Hz

Quick Reply: Setting HZ help