Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding high end to vo 6x9 rear stage

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 10:42 PM
Kitsoldman
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Adding high end to vo 6x9 rear stage

hi guys, a while back I switched pioneer for dd vo 6x9 in my lids. The horns in the pioneers were just too much and the low end fill with the vo is excellent but now my system ( mex 70, arc xdi 600.4, aw 6.5 at28 up front ) is lacking in high end just a bit. I’m curious if any of you added something like a dd vo b3 driver on a bracket over the 6x9 with any success? Will the txo crossover work? Or would something else work better. I’d love to get some high end back but keep it a bit more tame and musical. Thanks y’all. Btw, my lids are hogtunes

Old 09-11-2018, 08:01 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitsoldman
hi guys, a while back I switched pioneer for dd vo 6x9 in my lids. The horns in the pioneers were just too much and the low end fill with the vo is excellent but now my system ( mex 70, arc xdi 600.4, aw 6.5 at28 up front ) is lacking in high end just a bit. I’m curious if any of you added something like a dd vo b3 driver on a bracket over the 6x9 with any success? Will the txo crossover work? Or would something else work better. I’d love to get some high end back but keep it a bit more tame and musical. Thanks y’all. Btw, my lids are hogtunes
If you add horns they will need their own channel off an amp to sound right or you will be in the same situation as you had with the pioneer pros. What lids do you have as there are other options for speakers out there. The vo's pound and have a great mid range but like you said missing some highs. If you are not wanting to add a dedicated amp channel to some horns then maybe a different speaker will be a better option.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:04 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

I normally runs horns up front on my set ups and firmly believe that if your highs are loud enough up front, to the point where some folks think that horns are "too bright" then you really don't need MORE highs from behind you while you ride. Get the front to sound perfect and the rest should just be fill (similar to how car's are set up). Trying messing with your EQ some and raising your higher frequencies a bit and see if that helps!

Old 09-11-2018, 10:00 AM
Kitsoldman
Cruiser

Thanks for the replies fellas, I’ll continue to play with the eq on the Sony. Do you think perhaps a new strategy with the amp could be fruitful? I have both channels on full pass now, maybe a low pass on the front stage could help. I’d love to avoid the speaker carousel game but I suppose I could get on board 🙄 just to clarify, adding the b3 with a crossover will sound just as harsh as the pioneer?

Old 09-11-2018, 12:50 PM
screaminyz
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Kitsoldman,
Are your AT’s on their own amp channel where you could turn them up a little bit more? American Hardbag makes a bridge for a horn above a 6x9 but I’m not sure it will work with the Hog Tunes lids. Maybe give them a call.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:08 PM
Kitsoldman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by screaminyz
Kitsoldman,
Are your AT’s on their own amp channel where you could turn them up a little bit more? American Hardbag makes a bridge for a horn above a 6x9 but I’m not sure it will work with the Hog Tunes lids. Maybe give them a call.
no they are crossed with the aw via the txo crossover, I have no problem fabricating a bracket for tweeters in the lids, I was just curious if anyone added one with any success in improved sound. I’ll continue to weigh options and look forward to hearing all ideas. The weather is starting to turn here in the pnw so I’ll have plenty of time to get it roaring.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:47 PM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts

Almost 100% sure Yooperhog built some of these. I'll let him know about this thread and I'm sure he'd be happy to share his input.
Kris

Last edited by BlackPearl#1; 09-11-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:49 PM
USAproud
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackPearl#1
Almost 100% sure Yooperhog built some of these. I'll let him know about this thread and I'm sure he'd be happy to sgshahis input.
Kris
You been drinking Kris??? Lol. But yes, I'm sure yoop would gladly share info

Old 09-11-2018, 05:51 PM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by USAproud
You been drinking Kris??? Lol. But yes, I'm sure yoop would gladly share info
Haha, just fixed it. Good catch

Old 09-11-2018, 06:05 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 621 Posts

I made some out of aluminum and they worked out well.
m

Quick Reply: Adding high end to vo 6x9 rear stage