Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Lid Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 07:00 AM
badazzpred
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Possible Lid Upgrade?

Hey guys I've been thinking about adding Lid speakers finally and possibly going with the RF TMS69BL9813 Lid Kit? However before I pull the trigger I have some questions and or concerns?
Current set-up: Sony MEX-M70BT, Arc 600.4 Moto Amp, Mmatts 601.4 in my lower fairings, AD Designs CX62 in my fairing No horns or Tweets!
1st ? Am I stuck only having to use the RF 6X9's that are included in the RF TMS69BL9813 Lid Kit or can I use other brand 6X9's as well with possible modifications?
2nd ? Will my Arc 600.4 Moto Amp be enough power to accommodate all 6 speakers? Do I have to bridge and or is it even possible?

Thanks for any input on this

Old 09-08-2018, 08:18 AM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 621 Posts

the arc amp can drive it all, wire the fronts in parallel will give you a 2ohm load, channels1&2, wire channels 3&4 to the rear. you can most likely add several different 6x9's but some modding to the lid kit might be needed, for shaping and alignment stuff. a dsp would really help you out also.
m

Old 09-08-2018, 08:34 AM
USAproud
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 114 Posts

I think the arc might be a stretch to power all 6 speakers as is it only puts out 150 watts in 2 ohm and 4 ohm mode so running speakers parallel with that amp is not beneficial. The sound quality will drop alot with the 602 as 150watts to them is almost under powered. Add a micro amp bridged to run your lids and you will be in good shape keeping the fairing and lowers the way they are. What color is your bike? There are alot of after market lids for 6x9 out there that are color matched cheaper than that kit. Where are you located?

Old 09-08-2018, 11:21 AM
No U Glider
Road Warrior
Received 185 Likes on 167 Posts

I bought the RF lid kit thinking I would upgrade the speakers, but they have been a pleasant surprise, give them a listen before swapping out. I've read that ARC Moto692 and DD VO's require some dremmeling of the baskets. Some of the Hertz will drop right in... perhaps Traveling Gypsye will chime in. He changes up speakers based on moon phases.

Last edited by No U Glider; 09-08-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:58 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 621 Posts

i have to disagree with USA Proud's opinion on how much wattage the Mmats speakers need, the sound killer with only 75 watts on my bike and others that i've worked with. I'm not sure the the CX62 as i've never heard it or worked with it. No insult intended, just MY own opinion.
m

Old 09-08-2018, 01:06 PM
USAproud
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by marcodarq
i have to disagree with USA Proud's opinion on how much wattage the Mmats speakers need, the sound killer with only 75 watts on my bike and others that i've worked with. I'm not sure the the CX62 as i've never heard it or worked with it. No insult intended, just MY own opinion.
m
Agreed on the mmats. 75 watts will do them well. Misread post thought he had the arc 602 motos. Not sure about the cx62

Old 09-08-2018, 01:11 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

I would not intentionally feed the CX62 less than 125-150 Watts.

Sell the ARC and get an amp that is designed to puff up the watts when u run 2 ohm.

T

Old 09-08-2018, 06:35 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

I would not intentionally feed the CX62 less than 125-150 Watts.
T, his CX62s are in the fairing pointing right at his face. Might be worth a try, if he don't like it he can upgrade the amp. I've got 140W going to my CX62s in my lowers and I had to add a level control to decrease the input on those channels, they were just too loud. The AD website lists them at 100W RMS.

The problem I see he may be up against though is one I faced when I paralleled speakers, there is no way to balance them out. If you don't like the way they "fade" then you are just SOL. Depending on how his speakers blend if he parallels the fairing and lowers speakers I wonder if he would be getting enough volume out of the lowers? I have heard other folks complain that they didn't hear them much sometimes. Never know till you try though.

If he doesn't like the way it sounds he could go back to the amp he has powering the four front speakers with fade control and just stick another amp somewhere to power the 6x9s, he would really be rocking then. I didn't really get the sound I wanted myself until I added a second amp.

I guess it all depends on how long the leash is on the OPs unicorn.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:03 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
T, his CX62s are in the fairing pointing right at his face. Might be worth a try, if he don't like it he can upgrade the amp. I've got 140W going to my CX62s in my lowers and I had to add a level control to decrease the input on those channels, they were just too loud. The AD website lists them at 100W RMS.

The problem I see he may be up against though is one I faced when I paralleled speakers, there is no way to balance them out. If you don't like the way they "fade" then you are just SOL. Depending on how his speakers blend if he parallels the fairing and lowers speakers I wonder if he would be getting enough volume out of the lowers? I have heard other folks complain that they didn't hear them much sometimes. Never know till you try though.

If he doesn't like the way it sounds he could go back to the amp he has powering the four front speakers with fade control and just stick another amp somewhere to power the 6x9s, he would really be rocking then. I didn't really get the sound I wanted myself until I added a second amp.

I guess it all depends on how long the leash is on the OPs unicorn.
Totally agree brother. It will not hurt a damn thing for him to try to make it work with what he has. If he (via your guidance) does not get suitable sound then the second amp or different amp strategy will get him down the road closer to the unicorn.

T

Old 09-09-2018, 09:47 PM
badazzpred
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by USAproud
I think the arc might be a stretch to power all 6 speakers as is it only puts out 150 watts in 2 ohm and 4 ohm mode so running speakers parallel with that amp is not beneficial. The sound quality will drop alot with the 602 as 150watts to them is almost under powered. Add a micro amp bridged to run your lids and you will be in good shape keeping the fairing and lowers the way they are. What color is your bike? There are alot of after market lids for 6x9 out there that are color matched cheaper than that kit. Where are you located?
My color is Black Cherry Pearl.....................I'm located in Southeastern Waukesha County

Quick Reply: Possible Lid Upgrade?