Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage II Boom Audio Speakers - Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 07:37 PM
StreetGlide18
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Angry Stage II Boom Audio Speakers - Issue

Had dealer install Stage II Boom Audio speakers in fairing and bags with 2 300watt amps. Over the past 4 months, have had to have left bag speaker replaced and tomorrow will the second time replacing the right bag speak. Not sure why speakers keep blowing out. Used dealers recommended settings and still blowing out. Friend suggested not setting any bass to the setup for riding. I feel this is Harley's design and configuration so should be able to set everything within the parameters allowed by the system. Any thoughts or advice?

Old 09-08-2018, 01:02 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetGlide18
Had dealer install Stage II Boom Audio speakers in fairing and bags with 2 300watt amps. Over the past 4 months, have had to have left bag speaker replaced and tomorrow will the second time replacing the right bag speak. Not sure why speakers keep blowing out. Used dealers recommended settings and still blowing out. Friend suggested not setting any bass to the setup for riding. I feel this is Harley's design and configuration so should be able to set everything within the parameters allowed by the system. Any thoughts or advice?
Hate to be the one to break the news to u brother but the Boom amps and speakers are garbage. U just cannot fix ugly, and their audio is damn ugly. Start saving up for an after market setup. Night and day.

T

The following users liked this post:
StreetGlide18 (09-09-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 04:13 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

As Tailwind stated the boom 2 system is just not good quality. For some reason it is always the left rear that goes first. A bud of mine has 4500 miles on his 2018 cvo SG and is on his 3rd left rear speaker and 2nd rt rear. It is a design flaw and as long as it is under warranty, he is getting them replaced for free. The bad part is having to make an appointment and waiting for the dealer to replace the speaker. There is no adjustment on the head unit or the amp to keep them from blowing. At present time there is no aftermarket speaker to replace those 5x7's for the bi amp boom set up and as long as it is under warranty you must have a HD dealer replace them to keep the warranty.

Once the warranty is up, then the only real way to combat the blowing speakers is to get rid of the complete boom setup minus the HU and go after market amp and speakers. The sad part is you spent a bunch of your $$ for the junk setup.

The following users liked this post:
StreetGlide18 (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 11:58 PM
StreetGlide18
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the information. Being my first HD, hard lesson to learn, since I did pay a good amount for the Stage II upgrade. Guess I should ask Harley owners prior to doing any additional upgrades.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:43 AM
Hitman-98
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same issue here. First left speaker went 20 miles from the dealer. Replaced it last saturday and that one made it 30 miles. I think the amp is bad and HD's fix is to pull a amp off the shelf, put it in the bag, see if it works and if it does, take it out and put it back on the shelf. Then send my amp in for replacement. Crock of ****.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:44 PM
soonenough
6th Gear

FWIW, I've never had an issue with my stage II speakers and have 20k miles on the bike with them in there.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:03 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by soonenough
FWIW, I've never had an issue with my stage II speakers and have 20k miles on the bike with them in there.
Don't hold your breath!!!!

Old 09-19-2018, 03:17 PM
DON7245
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetGlide18
Thanks for the information. Being my first HD, hard lesson to learn, since I did pay a good amount for the Stage II upgrade. Guess I should ask Harley owners prior to doing any additional upgrades.
This may sound like a dumb question, but by chance were your saddlebags full? I installed the Stage II system as well.....
Wasn't having any issues for months until i blew one speaker in the bag..Pissed was not the word. Rubber surround split where it attaches to cage clean as can be. Well I glued it back together with GORILLA GLUE (LOL) no problems so far. Then the other rear bag blew moth later...SAME THING!
This got me thinking about similarities ..Both times the speakers blew I had my rain gear or a jacket in the saddle bag.
I wonder if eliminating the air space in the bag is putting too much back pressure on the speaker and tearing it at its weakest point?
May not have anything to do with it, but its just a thought..

Old 09-19-2018, 04:39 PM
Hitman-98
Intermediate

My bag was empty the first time and had a bag in it the second time.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:42 PM
InfidelMiles
Stage III

I've had issues with both 5x7s and the 6 3/4" fairing speakers. One concern: when describing the speaker as 'blown' is this a term for the speaker material tearing from the rubber material? If so, I've had that happen to both saddlebag speakers. I removed grill, disconnected molex connectors & used a hot glue gun to lay down a bead of glue as a repair of the tear. The glue has held up perfectly, it's flexible enough for speaker movement and also waterproof.
As far as fairing speakers go, the glue-gun won't help here. I replaced with some J&M Rokkers, however I couldn't use their tweeter as it won't wire to the amp. The original tweeter was fine, so I only replaced the speaker. Problem solved.
Hope this helps.