Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lid speakers instead of Tour Pack pods

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 09:07 PM
FlaDresser
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lid speakers instead of Tour Pack pods

I have removed my tour pack but miss the rear sound. I am considering lid speakers but was wondering if there is a standard harness to connect them to the factory audio wiring that previously plugged into the tour pack. That would sure simplify things.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:28 AM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts

Simple answer yes you can add lids and run them off the tour-pack outputs. However, you will be hard pressed to hear it while riding without upgrades.
As far as a harness, I am not sure if there is plug and play option. But, tapping into rear speakers is not hard at all.
Have you thought about adding lower speaker boxes? Your bike air cooled or twin cooled?

Old 08-25-2018, 09:34 AM
FlaDresser
Cruiser

Mine is air cooled so no issue with the lowers but I am really trying to get more sound at the rear. I ride 2 up and my wife misses the tour pack speakers. So I was hoping there was something simple to add some lid speakers without spending a grand. Sounds like that's not going to happen if I need an additional amp.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:14 AM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts

Least expensive lid option would be the rockford kit. It come s with templates to cut your lids.
MSRP 499.00. You may find it cheaper. but again with no amp it will be hard to hear. I can't see the stock deck pushing 6x9's.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:39 PM
FlaDresser
Cruiser

Emailed with RF support today and they think the stock head unit will drive the kit speakers about as well as the TP pod speakers. So I ordered the kit and will try to get them installed over the weekend. I will post a review after the install is complete.

I am still trying to identify a part number for the "Y" cable that feeds the tour pack speakers and plugs into a connector under the seat in the stock set up. If I can find one of these, it will almost be plug and play. Does anyone have any idea on a part number for that piece of the harness?

Old 08-27-2018, 11:19 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by FlaDresser
Emailed with RF support today and they think the stock head unit will drive the kit speakers about as well as the TP pod speakers. So I ordered the kit and will try to get them installed over the weekend. I will post a review after the install is complete.

I am still trying to identify a part number for the "Y" cable that feeds the tour pack speakers and plugs into a connector under the seat in the stock set up. If I can find one of these, it will almost be plug and play. Does anyone have any idea on a part number for that piece of the harness?
This is a clear cut case of a dealer choosing a sale over giving good advise. If you are installing the RF DIY lid kit without an amp you are going to be overwhelmingly disappointed.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:55 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
This is a clear cut case of a dealer choosing a sale over giving good advise. If you are installing the RF DIY lid kit without an amp you are going to be overwhelmingly disappointed.
I agree as both Bates and myself have installed this kit. Without an amp, you will be disappointed and wont be able to hear the rears at all with any speed.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:19 AM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by FlaDresser

I don’t know the part number but if you have your H-D parts guy look up the instructions for the Boom Stage 1 kid speaker kit I believe it shows a “Y” connector for the lid speakers as an individual part number. I’ll try to look it up and post it as an edit to this one.

Edit: Looks like the connector I was thinking of just connects the harness to the bags. On an Ultra, I don’t recall if there are separate connectors for the lids and the TP. If you go with an amp I believe the RF kit comes with the connectors you need. Anyway, I’ve attached the parts list form the H-D kit I was talking about.

Part#2 is the one I was talking about.

Last edited by MMXIWG; 08-28-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:33 AM
FlaDresser
Cruiser

Thanks for the feedback, I really do appreciate it. Looks like I will be looking for an amp.

So my next question is can I work with a 2 channel amp just for the rears? If not, will I need to replace the front speakers to work with an amp?

I am not looking for super sound, just adequate Of course I guess that's different for different people.

Any, thanks again for the feedback.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:33 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

I am using the speakers that come in that RF kit myself in my lids. I have 120 watts going to them at the moment. I can hear them OK but they are also supplemented by my rear pods. If I only had the 6x9s as they are now I probably would not be satisfied as the rider, but I think they would be plenty loud for a passenger.

A lot of lids point the speakers straight up towards the passenger. My Hogtunes lids seem to point them right between the passenger and rider.

Sooooo if you are mainly concerned with your passenger hearing them I suspect the speakers that come with the RF kit and any decent amp would get you where you want to be unless you use lids that really tilt the speakers forward, which most of the ones I've seen that do that are 5x7s, not 6x9s.

Listen to the smart folks though this is just stuff I have found in my own tinkerings.