Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using the stock HU on a 2012 Street Glide with aftermarket amp and fairing speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 06:41 PM
AZBadgerFan
Cruiser
Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Using the stock HU on a 2012 Street Glide with aftermarket amp and fairing speakers

Is this even possible and if so, what are the limitations of such a setup? I want to retain my handlebar controls and don't mind the factory HU GUI. I have a Soundstream PN4.1000D amp I am installing and some Biketronics 7" Titan II speakers (I'm assuming they are compatible) I want to use to replace the stock fairing speakers with. Is it possible to retain the stock head unit with that amp and speakers and aside from not having Bluetooth capability what else might I be losing performance-wise? New to this but been reading a ton but haven't seen anything that addresses this issue specifically. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by AZBadgerFan; 08-21-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:18 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

That head unit and amp is a good combo. I have the same head unit and amp but I sent my head unit to Iron Cross Audio to have preamp outputs installed for cleaner sound. I have heard of others having good results without doing that though.

I would ask though are you running four speakers? If not that amp may be overkill for two. Also you will lose some FM reception most likely with the SS amp. If FM is important to you then an Arc or maybe Rockford Fosgate amp might be a better choice for you.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:33 AM
fordhd2005
Road Master
Received 165 Likes on 121 Posts

I ran a biketronics amp and speakers with the stock HU in my 09 and really had no complaints. You have at least two feasible options for Bluetooth that I know of and one is the Hogtunes Bluetooth Radio Controller BTS-AA and the other is the Coyote industries BT-100M Bluetooth Audio Module. Both piggy back off the cigarette lighter for 12v power so you don't have to mess with recharging as you would with a dongle. There are modules you can buy to retain your handlebar controls with aftermarket radios. If you stay with stock, you won't lose what little performance that you have, you'll gain a lot with a good amp and speakers.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:52 AM
AZBadgerFan
Cruiser

Thanks for the feedback! Initially, I will be running fairing speakers only but eventually will be adding speakers in the lids down the road. I bought the Soundstream for that reason, to facilitate future expansion. I also have one of the Mpow Bluetooth dongles others on here have used that I am using currently to stream music from my iPhone to my stock system and it's a good workaround and I can live with it.

One of the reasons I've decided I may stick with the stock head unit is because I ordered a Pioneer receiver w/motorcycle kit from Amazon and when it arrived yesterday there were a few parts missing from the kit, including a Scosche handlebar control module which allows me to maintain my current controls. Doing the install this weekend prior to a trip up the CA coast the following weekend and they would not be guarantee they would be able to get the module to me in time.

I will probably keep the Pioneer unit and install it down the road and for now the stock HU with the installed SS amp and Biketronics speakers will suffice. I do understand I will have to turn off the AVC feature prior to doing the amp install and I will lose that functionality and possibly FM reception, which I can live with. I've read about the Iron Cross mod others have had done, what exactly does that get me with regard to performance? Something to think about down the road. Thanks again to all for your input!

Old 08-22-2018, 09:05 AM
fordhd2005
Road Master
Received 165 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by AZBadgerFan
. I do understand I will have to turn off the AVC feature prior to doing the amp install and I will lose that functionality...
You don't have to turn it off... Just set it at two bars or so. That is the main advantage with running the stock HU. The only way to keep AVC with an aftermarket stereo is to install the biketronics module and all though it works, it doesn't work as well as the stock one.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:59 AM
AZBadgerFan
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fordhd2005
You don't have to turn it off... Just set it at two bars or so. That is the main advantage with running the stock HU. The only way to keep AVC with an aftermarket stereo is to install the biketronics module and all though it works, it doesn't work as well as the stock one.
That's good info, thanks!

Old 08-22-2018, 03:10 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

One possible advantage to getting the preamp outputs installed would be a cleaner signal for use with AVC. With my stock HU and preamps, I can run AVC all the way up with no problems. Mind you I was very careful setting my gains and crossovers, but it can be done. I was very impressed with how clean things sounded when I got my HU back from Iron Cross.

I also like the weather band, CB, and intercom plug for using a headset which you would lose with the aftermarket unit if you have them.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:01 PM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Iron Cross also has a Bluetooth conversion with the HU unit, I have one in my along with the preamps, tthe HU is a fabulous radio, people just don't know how to set them up.
Thanks to Iron Cross!

Old 09-02-2018, 09:29 PM
Gotham
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Want Bluetooth try a Saddle Tramp from Metra: http://www.metraonline.com/part/BT-HD01

Last edited by Gotham; 09-02-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:28 AM
Redwood2112
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a saddle tramp for sale. Only used a few months. Let me know if your interested. BTW I was using stock hu with bt amp and iron cross pre amps and 6 speakers.... Sounds impressive for that hu but I got a deal on an aquatics radio so I swapped it out.

Quick Reply: Using the stock HU on a 2012 Street Glide with aftermarket amp and fairing speakers