Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need system upgrade opinions..again.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 06:42 PM
GLW Mike
Club Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Need system upgrade opinions..again.

Well, im expanding my setup yet again, but trying to get game plan put together. Im more or less thinking out loud but would love some suggestions on best way to go about setting things up.

I have a 2016 Limited. Sony5000 HU
Currently Arc 602 in fairing and hogtune wethead lowers with prv 250s. Polk 652 in TP.
A JLXD600/6 is bridged powering 602s and prv250 in lower and I have a Jl mx280/4 bridged in fairing to TP Polks.

I currently am swapping out my Arc 602 in fairing and installing prv500 and B3horns. I want to balance things out by adding speakers (most likely 6x9) to bags. I have a Dsr1 sitting here to install as well.

I am struggling at the idea of getting rid of bag space to mount 8s or 6x9 in bags..but realize lids probably wont give me a lot of thump. Since i have Polks in tp, maybe go VO 6x9 in lids? I heard how good Juices 6x9 bag set up was, but on trips i pack those bags/tp.

Im really only looking to do bag speakers to fill out the sound with all pro audio in fairing/lowers and get some thump. I have TP speaks bag there already filling in and more volume of higher ranges i dont really need.

I planned to leave JL600/6 in fairing and put B3 horns on 1/2, fairing prv 3/4, lower prv 5/6

So..
1. Is it possible to get decent thump for a 6x9 lid setup? A mod/trick to squeeze some more thump from a lid setup?
2. If so, what 6x9 would give me best chance at bass from lid? VO?
3. Is there an amp strategy that i could use to keep all in fairing or am i going to have to suck it up and take up tp space with amp?

I had an extra JL600/6 but sold it, now thinking since im expanding, i could have mounted it in tp and gave 6x9 200w and 75w for tp polks.

Suggestions?

Old 08-20-2018, 06:46 PM
No U Glider
Road Warrior
Received 185 Likes on 167 Posts

Subscribed...

Old 08-20-2018, 07:13 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

I think someone needs an intervention.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:54 PM
Nitrochicken
Road Master
Received 153 Likes on 87 Posts

Subscribed.....

Old 08-20-2018, 07:55 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
You think? lol

Old 08-20-2018, 07:58 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by GLW Mike
Well, im expanding my setup yet again, but trying to get game plan put together. Im more or less thinking out loud but would love some suggestions on best way to go about setting things up.

Currently Arc 602 in fairing and hogtune wethead lowers with prv 250s. Polk 652 in TP.
A JLXD600/6 is bridged powering 602s and prv250 in lower and I have a Jl mx280/4 bridged in fairing to TP Polks.

I currently am swapping out my Arc 602 in fairing and installing prv500 and B3horns. I want to balance things out by adding speakers (most likely 6x9) to bags. I have a Dsr1 sitting here to install as well.

I am struggling at the idea of getting rid of bag space to mount 8s or 6x9 in bags..but realize lids probably wont give me a lot of thump. Since i have Polks in tp, maybe go VO 6x9 in lids? I heard how good Juices 6x9 bag set up was, but on trips i pack those bags/tp.

Im really only looking to do bag speakers to fill out the sound with all pro audio in fairing/lowers and get some thump. I have TP speaks bag there already filling in and more volume of higher ranges i dont really need.

I planned to leave JL600/6 in fairing and put B3 horns on 1/2, fairing prv 3/4, lower prv 5/6

So..
1. Is it possible to get decent thump for a 6x9 lid setup? A mod/trick to squeeze some more thump from a lid setup?
3. Is there an amp strategy that i could use to keep all in fairing or am i going to have to suck it up and take up tp space with amp?

I had an extra JL600/6 but sold it, now thinking since im expanding, i could have mounted it in tp and gave 6x9 200w and 75w for tp polks.

Suggestions?
I would ask Juice if he can hear that thump going down the road. His setup defies all anyway as those vo's just sound like subs. Hearing them sitting still vs. at speed is a different story. He just may be able to hear them.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:34 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by GLW Mike

So..

Suggestions?
What is your goal for changing out the fairing speakers? Are you looking for more volume or a detailed sound?

Old 08-20-2018, 08:57 PM
GLW Mike
Club Member

Originally Posted by InthewindMN

What is your goal for changing out the fairing speakers? Are you looking for more volume or a detailed sound?
Both. Ill try to explain. I really like the warm full sound of the 602s, I like them, but i just cant get enough volume at 65mph. At lower speeds, they sound great because i have the volume turned down. Nice full sound.
Playing songs that have simpler sounds and more vocals...the 602s sound great, even turned up , but playing heavy metal/rock,etc with complex sounds, they sound muddy and dont sound as well with volume cranked, so I have to turn volume down for those songs,.which then is the problem at higher speeds.

I added the prv 250s/lowers and that did make a difference. But i was hoping adding prv500 and horns, would give me clean sounds at higher speed for rock/metal/etc.

make sense? Im terrible at explaining

Old 08-20-2018, 09:02 PM
GLW Mike
Club Member

Originally Posted by SBates08
If i come home and see 10 of you guys sitting around my bike waiting for me.... I'll know now what yall are planning..

Frankly I blame Gypsy...he is the one that got me excited to experiment with different speakers to begin with, when I first started hanging around this forum. Lol

Old 08-20-2018, 09:03 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Have you ever heard the Hertz SV165 in a fairing?

T

Quick Reply: Need system upgrade opinions..again.