Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Focal ES165KX2 on 2015 Road Glide Special

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 08:38 AM
uwiik
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 6.5" speaker adapter for 2015+ road glide

Trying to test fit my components today, couldn't figure out on how to mount my Focal ES165KX2 Midbass on the pods, the magnet was just too wide and thick it's hitting the outer wall on the pods, the difference was too great like almost an inch so I don't think a DIY speaker ring adapter will work as it will make the speaker hitting the grille. Does anyone ever mounted a speaker with oversized magnet like my focal on a post Rushmore Road Glide? Help please.

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by uwiik; 08-20-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:04 AM
uwiik
Tourer

Tried searching and seems like nobody makes speaker ring for 2015+ RG...??

Old 08-20-2018, 12:22 PM
Lastride
Tourer

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

If you call bikertronics they have them for RG. Or you can heat the pods and make the magnet fit.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:51 PM
wevsspot
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Yep, BT makes a tapered spacer ring for the Road glides that tilts the speaker inward and allows for a little more clearance between the magnet and pod wall. However, it wasn't designed as a be all-end all solution for all speakers. It might work, but you'd need to give Bill or Donna a call and inquire. See what they think......................... or at least ensure that they will give you a refund if it doesn't work.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:58 PM
uwiik
Tourer

Thanks for the pointers, will try that 👍

Old 08-21-2018, 09:07 AM
wevsspot
Tourer

Originally Posted by uwiik
Thanks for the pointers, will try that 👍
Yes, and please keep us posted. Us Shark owners face a few more fitment issues trying to figure out what speakers will fit (and what won't) in the Road Glides. The Street Glide guys have a little bit more flexibility by removing the speaker pods and using the BT speaker mounting brackets.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:12 AM
uwiik
Tourer

I tried heat gun and it didn't work, the plastic became gooey and I decided to just cut a hole wherr the magnet hit the wall, worked real good and I covered the hole with dampener. Speaker mounting holes lined up perfectly with the ES165KX2, sound was amazing, tons of punchy tight bass. Love it.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:27 AM
Jonny Rotten
Tourer
Received 108 Likes on 69 Posts

I have Focal fronts and center channel for my home theater. I didnt know they made speakers that would fit on a bike. Pretty cool.Not many people know of the brand. Quality speakers

Old 08-22-2018, 07:54 AM
uwiik
Tourer

Originally Posted by Jonny Rotten
I have Focal fronts and center channel for my home theater. I didnt know they made speakers that would fit on a bike. Pretty cool.Not many people know of the brand. Quality speakers
I love Focal, first knew the brand back in 2000 with their Polyglass and Utopia line and always love it, the tweeter can be ear bleeding bright when not tuned properly but with good tune it is just sweet and extremely detailed... as for the midbass, I don't think there is any other brand that can produce midbass as tight and as punchy as Focal's higher end series, I've tried Morel, Dynaudio, HAT, KEF, Vifa and still I always go back to Focal.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:29 PM
wevsspot
Tourer

Originally Posted by uwiik
I tried heat gun and it didn't work, the plastic became gooey and I decided to just cut a hole wherr the magnet hit the wall, worked real good and I covered the hole with dampener. Speaker mounting holes lined up perfectly with the ES165KX2, sound was amazing, tons of punchy tight bass. Love it.
Did you have to cut the outer pod wall to get them to fit? Happen to have a photo?

Quick Reply: Focal ES165KX2 on 2015 Road Glide Special