Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which amp for PA setup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 10:25 PM
screaminyz
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Which amp for PA setup?

Hey Guys,
Now that I’m pretty much set on going with a PA fairing setup and Pioneer Pro in the lids for now until I replace them with something better (Probably DD VO6x9). I was thinking of using the Rockford T400x4ad and some type of micro amp to drive the horns/tweeters separately. My issue is my 09 Street Glide has the Alloy Art fairing braces, so I can’t just buy any of the known amp trays which makes me limited on which amps will fit in my fairing. I really want to stick with fitting both the amps in the fairing for now. Which two amps would you guys choose? I just noticed that DD Audio has a new micro 4.75 amp coming soon listed on their website. I’m just not sure if the DD amps are as good as the Rockford?
I can get a refurbished T400x4ad for around $190 vs 260 for the new DD 4.75, seems the Rockford is a pretty good bang for your buck and has great reviews.
The next time I have my fairing off I was going to make a cardboard box that’s the same size as the JL 600x6 amp and see if I can make it fit somehow and if it will I will probably get that amp and be done with it. I just don’t think it will. I would like to hear some opinions on which amps to use for a nice loud clear system.

Thanks,

Old 08-13-2018, 10:38 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by screaminyz
Hey Guys,
Now that I’m pretty much set on going with a PA fairing setup and Pioneer Pro in the lids for now until I replace them with something better (Probably DD VO6x9). I was thinking of using the Rockford T400x4ad and some type of micro amp to drive the horns/tweeters separately. My issue is my 09 Street Glide has the Alloy Art fairing braces, so I can’t just buy any of the known amp trays which makes me limited on which amps will fit in my fairing. I really want to stick with fitting both the amps in the fairing for now. Which two amps would you guys choose? I just noticed that DD Audio has a new micro 4.75 amp coming soon listed on their website. I’m just not sure if the DD amps are as good as the Rockford?
I can get a refurbished T400x4ad for around $190 vs 260 for the new DD 4.75, seems the Rockford is a pretty good bang for your buck and has great reviews.
The next time I have my fairing off I was going to make a cardboard box that’s the same size as the JL 600x6 amp and see if I can make it fit somehow and if it will I will probably get that amp and be done with it. I just don’t think it will. I would like to hear some opinions on which amps to use for a nice loud clear system.

Thanks,
If u commit to the JL 600/6, how much power are u intending to feed ur lids?

I don't thing the Pioneer or the VOs are going to be in their happy place off 2 channels of the JL 600/6. Think this thru brother and find the perfect amps that match ur space requirements and speaker demands. A solid 4 channel on the tray and also a micro bridged that fits the fairing space would be ideal. The Ground Zero Micro 4 bridged pushing 250w for the lids is a pretty solid play. Or get a high watt 4 channel amp for the tray and a ultra micro for the horns and call it done.

T

Old 08-14-2018, 10:57 AM
screaminyz
Advanced

Tailwind,
I didn’t know that wouldn’t be enough for those speakers, would the Rockford T400x4ad be enough for the lids and front PA mids? Then use a micro for the horns. There’s also the SS Rubicon Nano as it’s a little smaller than the JL and I think it will fit between the braces. Specs seem to put it at a little stronger than the Rockford and all the connections are on the side like the JL. Then I would use a micro for the horns. For the horns which would be a better sounding amp the GZ micro or NVX micro.

Here are the specs on the SS Rubicon NanoRN4.1400DMax Power1,400w
RMS Power 4Ω125 x 4
RMS Power 2Ω175 x 4
RMS Power 4Ω Bridged350 x 2
Dimensions: (6.50” w x 1.50”h x 9.00” L
http://soundstream.com/product/rn4-1400d/

Last edited by screaminyz; 08-14-2018 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Getting rid of bold print
Old 08-14-2018, 05:10 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by screaminyz
Tailwind,
I didn’t know that wouldn’t be enough for those speakers, would the Rockford T400x4ad be enough for the lids and front PA mids? Then use a micro for the horns. There’s also the SS Rubicon Nano as it’s a little smaller than the JL and I think it will fit between the braces. Specs seem to put it at a little stronger than the Rockford and all the connections are on the side like the JL. Then I would use a micro for the horns. For the horns which would be a better sounding amp the GZ micro or NVX micro.

Here are the specs on the SS Rubicon NanoRN4.1400DMax Power1,400w
RMS Power 4Ω125 x 4
RMS Power 2Ω175 x 4
RMS Power 4Ω Bridged350 x 2
Dimensions: (6.50” w x 1.50”h x 9.00” L
http://soundstream.com/product/rn4-1400d/
The horns don't need much power at all so I would not unleash a GZ on those. Maybe 50-75 watts on a good day. The SD250 micro is prob the most economical horn solution.
Regarding the 4 channel amp, the VO 6x9s like a bit of power so if u can get them 175 or better u will be in a good place.
This is that fun challenge of finding solutions that will best fit ur fairing, ur budget, and speaker type & demands. If u have room in the fairing the Rockford or the Rubicon would work for the horns (Rockford being better SQ) and fairing PA and the GZ would be awesome for the lids.
If that does not work then ur back to the SD250 or similar for the horns and the best damn 4 channel amp ur fairing and budget will fit knowing the u only need 100-125 for the PAs and 175+ for the lids.
The Rockford or Rubicon will work for the fairing and kids w a micro for the horns but it's that one and done strategy should u want to lean into the lids and not have the amp headroom to do so.

Hope a few other Guys chine is cause with the extremely wide range of products currently available I'm certain that will be a very damn good solution for your individual parameters.

T

Old 08-16-2018, 07:49 PM
screaminyz
Advanced

Tailwind,
Thanks for all the info and I will definitely check out all the amps you recommended