Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you run an SPL 8" woofer off the sub out RCA's

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 11:21 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
No Sir!
Please explain Gan??

Old 08-14-2018, 11:49 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guy's! I decided to go with the JL M8IB5-SG-TB sub on recommendations from Tailwind and the JL tech! I will be able to run it off the 998 and Tailgate is running it and highly recommended it! Wish me luck! The audio place I am buying them from also recommended them and uses them in bags all the time, Audiodriven in Oak Forest!.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:24 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
Thanks for all the help and suggestions guy's! I decided to go with the JL M8IB5-SG-TB sub on recommendations from Tailwind and the JL tech! I will be able to run it off the 998 and Tailgate is running it and highly recommended it! Wish me luck! The audio place I am buying them from also recommended them and uses them in bags all the time, Audiodriven in Oak Forest!.
i think you made a mistake brotha Mike. Inifinit Baffle JL subs, been there done that. A good pro audio mid on a sound processor all day.

The following users liked this post:
Moto Mike (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 06:52 AM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
Why do they use the infinite baffle version instead of the m8 for enclosures?

Old 08-15-2018, 09:46 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by InthewindMN

Why do they use the infinite baffle version instead of the m8 for enclosures?
I was thinking the same thing, the M8W5 for the bags, since the bag is an enclosure, but when I talked to the JL tech he said if you use one of the subs built for a enclosure it must absolutely be sealed, air tight. which a saddle bag is not...he recommended the M8IB5 infinite baffle sub!

Old 08-15-2018, 10:09 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by haze324

i think you made a mistake brotha Mike. Inifinit Baffle JL subs, been there done that. A good pro audio mid on a sound processor all day.
Oh sure now you tell me bro...lol...why not a sub! I want to use the sub outs and DSP Pro section sub controls on the 998 to control the 8 inch woofer or sub, I was told by Jonathon from GBS that I couldn't use a Pro Audio woofer because the sub out RCA's don't play high enough! And why do I need a sound processor with the 998??I need to talk to you...what's the best way to get hold of you! PM sent!

Old 08-15-2018, 11:06 AM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 135 Likes on 126 Posts

Infinite baffle subs were designed to use a vehicle trunk as an enclosure. If you do go this route you will likely have to lose your 6x9s and go back to a stock lid. I don't see a sub and a 6x9 sharing the same sir space well.

I think it all comes down to if you're gonna do it, do it right, or don't do it at all; and I don't see this going right. Just being honest Mike.

Moto Mike (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 11:59 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by matt76cmich
Infinite baffle subs were designed to use a vehicle trunk as an enclosure. If you do go this route you will likely have to lose your 6x9s and go back to a stock lid. I don't see a sub and a 6x9 sharing the same sir space well.

I think it all comes down to if you're gonna do it, do it right, or don't do it at all; and I don't see this going right. Just being honest Mike.
I think your right Matt, I want to do it right! I had to give Audiodriven a deposit, for him to get another M8IB...he agreed to give it back, and I gave him $10 to cover his CC fee's! Everything is on hold till I figure this out!! Thanks for your help Matt!!

Old 08-15-2018, 12:19 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Moto, I actually agree with the consensus here long before u even get to the enclosure or infinite baffle discussion.
You have zero bass on your sled. Doing a deep dive into the sub bass world puts u in a position where u are still missing bass. Get the pendulum to swing back the other way just a bit and target specifically what your missing and what strategy will deliver the greatest return.

I have 4 JL880s that can deliver the hell out of the bass range and some respectable fill from the M8IB is a suitable ingredient for my setup when parked. When I road trip I unscrew 8 bolts and the bags are empty thus enclosures will just never happen in my world.

Define the objective and parameters for your personal situation and play like hell in that sandbox the best u can, but I personally don't think that sub bass is the closest alligator to your boat.

T

Moto Mike (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 12:44 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Mike get your money back. I’m on vacation for two weeks. When I get back we’ll talk. Bass using midbass speakers is what we do man.

Moto Mike (08-15-2018)

Quick Reply: Can you run an SPL 8" woofer off the sub out RCA's