Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New amp or creative wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 04:28 PM
Wheelie Ripper
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New amp or creative wiring?

So I am planning my new stereo and trying to use parts I already have, but am not opposed to switching stuff out. I plan on running prvs in the fairing with a pair of ST25 horns. Also would like to run a pair of SV165.1s in the tour pack pods. The bike is a 14 ultra limited. I have a jl Fix 82 and arc moto 600. Was thinking about running the horns parallel off the prvs and then adjusting the eq in the JL to tone down the higher frequencies in the front. I was wondering if I can still set the amp to put out 150 watts on all 4 channels or if this will damage the horns even if I tone down the higher frequencies. The other option I’m considering is to sell the arc moto and get a jl600/6v2. My concern is that the 75 watts won’t be enough. I would like the bike to be loud and clear on the highway.

What do do you guys think?

Old 08-09-2018, 04:40 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

I think ur gonna hate a 4 speaker setup consisting of all PA speakers.

No experience with the Fix but do all u can to get the horns on independent channels for tuning.

T

Old 08-09-2018, 04:49 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

I think 150w is above the rated rms for the horns (formal disclaimer).
But, I have ran B3 parallel at 200w. You may like it, I didn’t. You could try and hook it up as planned and change if you don’t like the sound.
Easy fix would be to put the horns on a sd250.

Last edited by InthewindMN; 08-09-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:08 PM
Wheelie Ripper
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tailwind
I think ur gonna hate a 4 speaker setup consisting of all PA speakers.

No experience with the Fix but do all u can to get the horns on independent channels for tuning.

T
I understand it’s going to be all mids and highs which I’m ok with. Really just looking for loud and clear and don’t want to lose and bag space or do lids.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:53 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wheelie Ripper
I understand it’s going to be all mids and highs which I’m ok with. Really just looking for loud and clear and don’t want to lose and bag space or do lids.
Cool. Was only providing my 2 cents to make sure u weren't going to disappointed by what these loud speakers deliver, or won't deliver.
Since ur all in, I think Inthewindmn's plan about the SD mini amp is a very solid yet inexpensive way to get ur horns in the most beneficial spot.

Enjoy brother!!

T

Old 08-09-2018, 05:56 PM
Wheelie Ripper
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Cool. Was only providing my 2 cents to make sure u weren't going to disappointed by what these loud speakers deliver, or won't deliver.
Since ur all in, I think Inthewindmn's plan about the SD mini amp is a very solid yet inexpensive way to get ur horns in the most beneficial spot.

Enjoy brother!!

T
I appreciate your input. Do you think I can fit the amp, jl fix and the additional amp all in a Rushmore batwing? Ill be running the Biketronics speaker brackets and will get rid of my cb module as well.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:14 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wheelie Ripper
I appreciate your input. Do you think I can fit the amp, jl fix and the additional amp all in a Rushmore batwing? Ill be running the Biketronics speaker brackets and will get rid of my cb module as well.
I think the odds are barely in your favor. I have had a 5.7" x 5.2" amp on the clutch side. Stuff the SD in the clutch side dummy cubby and u should be good to go. The size of the speaker magnet is big factor in what will fit vertically on the clutch side.

I won't put amps or DSPs in my bag so if u have the same limiting parameters u could always sell the fix and get the ARC PSM as that little guy will fit on the brake side and the CB can stay.

T