Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6x9 Evaluation Report

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 04:40 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 619 Posts
Default 6x9 Evaluation Report

Well i got some time last night to try out some different 6x9s and figured that I would report my findings here.
The speakers up for comparison here are the Rockville 6x9 pro subwoofer, the ARC 690, DD VOM 6x9 and the Hertx MPX690. This is more of just a sound and volume deal, not so much on the install. All speaks powered by ARCMoto600.4, so an available 150 watts, stock Radio Sound Head unit, ARC PSM dsp Hog Tunes lids, unmodded. The Rockvilles were the first attemp, and they did not even get wired up due to hole alignment issues with the lids and what looked like it might be too much of a magnet interference with the opening and closing of the lid. i will try them on something else to try to a least get some sort of sound info, for a later report.
The DD's were already in the bike, i did the testing both with the VO b3 horn working and not working, being able to isolate/ turn off all the other speakers on the bike, i felt that i could make a real apples to apples comparison. The ARC speakers went in next, sounded very good, almost as much thump as the DD, weather treatment is cool. way better for a bolt in install that covers all the bases for a motorcycle. Next the Hertz, man these sound GREAT! better thump than the ARC's, to me equal to the DD's. very nice highs and smooth all around. For each test i had one speaker in one bag of each brand, all the rest of the speakers on the bike muted, and with the PSM i could split the eq and eq each one on it's own to try and get the best i could out of it.(within reason). So with the Hertz as my winner, I took some of the speaker cloth SBates suggested, treated it, draped it across the speaker hole in the lid, then put the speaker in place in an attemp to help with water and UV protection.
For a simple no hassle install, the all around winner would probably be the ARC speaker. The SQ and volume of the Hertz was better to me and the choice i left in the bike, the only drawback is the questionable weather issues. While i did not have anything against the DD's, just to me the others have advantages that were to me hard to ignore. My DD's have been soaked in downpour conditions, so I can say that the weather issue is covered on them.
So for someone with a mid level budget to work with i would say the arc's are where i'd recommend people to go.
Next tests will be similar, but done with 6.5 speakers.
marco

The following 2 users liked this post by marcodarq:
Moto Mike (08-05-2018), Philokc (08-06-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 06:55 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

Thanks for the report. I was really hoping to hear something on those Rockvilles. Sounds like they are an in-the-bag install only?

Zach

Old 08-05-2018, 08:28 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 619 Posts

i'm still going to wire them up and try to get a basic sound report, i just did not feel like modding my lids to properly fit them, and it did seem like magnet clearance would be an issue. they are very robust in their appearance, but the proof is in the pudding! I'll try to report on them tomorrow after i get a couple of channels freed up to give them a fair shake. i am using HT lids, another brand and they might still be a viable option for someone that is not concerned with bad storage or convenience.
m