Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 07:52 AM
1968gts
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mounted them inside the pods so no issues with binding there just isnt any clarity... with the upgrades the sound is basically the same crappy sound as the stock stereo

Old 08-05-2018, 08:56 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by 1968gts
Mounted them inside the pods so no issues with binding there just isnt any clarity... with the upgrades the sound is basically the same crappy sound as the stock stereo
Any troubleshooting updates?

T

Old 08-05-2018, 09:38 AM
1968gts
Advanced

I've unhooked everything... hooked it up again.. checked connections... rebooted the radio .. made sure the line leveler was set at default... played with the amp settings... crossover etc...still sounds basic as stock just louder.. no clarity like someone is holding a towel over the speakers if that makes sense.... I'm ready to trash the amp and line leveler and go with a tm400 fosgate amp and have it flashed at this point unless I'm just throwing money at it for no reason

Old 08-05-2018, 10:00 AM
Tree1381
Advanced

Highly unlikely that you got lemon speakers but if it were me I would unmount, test clarity to make sure nothing is rubbing if it still sounds like hot garbage try another speaker to eliminate any possibility that your speakers or mounts are the problem.Good luck. Troubleshooting can be quite frustrating

Old 08-05-2018, 10:05 AM
1968gts
Advanced

I just hate the fact of pulling the fairing apart again!... i am getting good at it lol if i pull it apart again im putting the stock speakers back in and leaving it for a later day... it actually sounds better when it was stock!

Old 08-05-2018, 10:16 AM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 621 Posts

where did you buy your speakers from, more on this later. when you were doing your tone/gain set up, did you have the bass and treble set flat, in the middle, and what volume did you have your head unit at when you set the gain on the amp. 3/4 is the recommended staring point if you don't have the tools to confirm when it distorts, but it is just a starting point and may need tweeking. from that point, raise the gain on the amp untill you hear distortion or anything that sounds poor, then back it down till it clears up. this all has to be done with the bike running(with a fan on it to help keep the engine temp safe). if you didn't do it while the bike was running, that could be one issue.
I asked about where you got your speakers from as I have heard reports of "fake" or knock off Hertz products, that are not the real deal. i have never seen this, but i dont think that it's impossible. let us know.
m

Old 08-05-2018, 10:26 AM
1968gts
Advanced

I got the speakers off amazon prime last week.... amp gain was all set by ear and volume 2 notches from all the way up... whats got me thinking is the line leveler is not working as it should and i need the HU flashed to flatten the eq curve... I've done plenty of stereo installs in cars and have never had this problem . thats what gets me to believe i need a flash? ive also heard that the Hertz speakers dont like certain amps and sound dull ... ive got a set of German Maestro components from my car build i can try and see if they sound clear or i could try the Hertz off my mustang to see if they sound better to prove i need a flash.... its just wasted time to have to troubleshoot this when it should have been a simple build.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:53 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 621 Posts

i think that you might still have your head unit up to high when setting the gains on the amp. only way to tell is to try and adjust it and see if it helps.
m

Old 08-05-2018, 05:25 PM
1968gts
Advanced

How would having the volume on the head unit up 3/4 volume have any way of affecting the sound quality? Do t you set the gain on the amplifier using the head unit volume as to not add distortion to the speakers and blow them bu turning it up too far?... something is effecting the SQ causing it to be not clear highs ...

Old 08-05-2018, 05:37 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by 1968gts
2018 Street glide with 6.5 infotainment system.... I installed a Cerwin Vega B52 amp with Hertz HCX 6.5 in the fairing. i used the biketronics bt355 line leveler... heres my problem... it sound like it under water and muffled.. not clear at all! do i need to have my radio flashed? if so what flash?.. Amp is set on HP as recommended along with the crossover about 80hz
The set up should be loud and clear with out any flash. I've done that same set up on a Rushmore with the BT line levelers and it sounded good. Travelingypsye has a 2018 SG just like yours and his bike sounds damn good with the line levelers. Might reach out to him for advice on how to set it up.

Quick Reply: Need help!!