Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to expect

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 10:29 AM
WVJarhead
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What to expect

Currently using Diamond Micro 4v2
Hertz SV165.1 and ST35 on channels 1 & 2 (I will be putting the ST35s on their own two channel amp soon)
DD VO 6x9 on channels 3 & 4
All channels HPF set at 100hz and gains set with SMD distortion detector

Micro 4v2 is rated at 80w per channel - pretty loud but nowhere near the capabilities of the speakers. What am I missing out on by not having more power?
JL XD400/4v2 is rated at 75w per channel - I see a lot of guys using JL amps and singing their praises. What difference should I expect if I went with JL that's around the same rated power?
Focal FDP Sport is rated at 175w per channel - at over double the power, what effect would that have? Would I have to change the HPF with more power going to the speakers?

These are just a couple of the amps I keep seeing in the threads, not partial to anything just yet. I am still new to this audio stuff but I am very interested in learning. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:02 AM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts

You can cross those VO's down to 70-80hz, the more power you send them the higher you will need to cross them. They can take plenty of power. I had a cheaper version of the 2 channel diamond and they sounded great.

The following users liked this post:
WVJarhead (08-03-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 11:07 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

I don't think that diamond amp provides you with enough juice for those speakers. The SV165 sound best with power. I also think you can cross those 6X9's much lower. The thing with the Focal amp is that it's a very neutral sound quality amp so although it has output it's hard to get some punch behind it. For the cost of the Focal, I'd get a Soundigital 800.4 and DSP.

WVJarhead (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 03:33 AM
WVJarhead
Advanced

Originally Posted by haze324
I don't think that diamond amp provides you with enough juice for those speakers. The SV165 sound best with power. I also think you can cross those 6X9's much lower. The thing with the Focal amp is that it's a very neutral sound quality amp so although it has output it's hard to get some punch behind it. For the cost of the Focal, I'd get a Soundigital 800.4 and DSP.
Would you go with the 2 or 4 ohm SD800.4? Below are sketches of how I think each would be wired (feel free to correct me if I am off base). 2 ohm puts more power to each speaker, is mono vice stereo, and retains front rear fade. 4 ohm is more power than I am running now, and keeps the stereo/fade functions.

2 ohm SD800.4

4 ohm SD800.4

Old 08-03-2018, 06:18 AM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 174 Likes on 159 Posts

I see and hear people talk about bridging amps in a manner that will not produce stereo sound on bikes. Is that a good idea? It goes against every grain in my body but I've had to let go of some things that I thought were written in stone for sled audio already.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:46 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by marshallb
I see and hear people talk about bridging amps in a manner that will not produce stereo sound on bikes. Is that a good idea? It goes against every grain in my body but I've had to let go of some things that I thought were written in stone for sled audio already.
come on man, there's nothing set it stone.....creativity and innovation.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:48 AM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 174 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
come on man, there's nothing set it stone.....creativity and innovation.
Understood Sir lol

Old 08-03-2018, 07:16 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

I personally would never run speakers in mono mode and blend front/back as there are completely different sounds from sv's and the vo's. I would bridge the left fairing and 6x9 on 1 channel and the right fairing and 6x9 on the other channel. No fader but the stereo is there. The balance between the front and back will produce a better SQ in my opinion. The problem with that is those vo's will take more gains than the sv's and you wont get the full potential out of the vo's. On this setup I would not bridge it at all and run it like the second pic but switch channel 3 and 4 so to have left bank on channels 1/3 and right on 2/4. Then adjust your gains for each channel and be done with it.

Haze is also right about the focal amp. It is a beast on power but just not warm. Neutral is a very good description of that amp. For the $$ there are better amps out there in my opinion. I bought one per recommendation on here but sold it for a warmer amp with better SQ in my opinion.

WVJarhead (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 07:38 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

deleted

Last edited by travelingypsye; 08-03-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:48 AM
WVJarhead
Advanced

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
I personally would never run speakers in mono mode and blend front/back as there are completely different sounds from sv's and the vo's. I would bridge the left fairing and 6x9 on 1 channel and the right fairing and 6x9 on the other channel. No fader but the stereo is there. The balance between the front and back will produce a better SQ in my opinion. The problem with that is those vo's will take more gains than the sv's and you wont get the full potential out of the vo's. On this setup I would not bridge it at all and run it like the second pic but switch channel 3 and 4 so to have left bank on channels 1/3 and right on 2/4. Then adjust your gains for each channel and be done with it.

Haze is also right about the focal amp. It is a beast on power but just not warm. Neutral is a very good description of that amp. For the $$ there are better amps out there in my opinion. I bought one per recommendation on here but sold it for a warmer amp with better SQ in my opinion.
Man, I completely missed where I had drawn it with 1/4 and 2/3 together! Adjusted it in the sketch below. Seems that if I went with the SD amp, the 4 ohm version would be the way to go.

Quick Reply: What to expect