Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to expect

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 07:53 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by WVJarhead
Man, I completely missed where I had drawn it with 1/4 and 2/3 together! Adjusted it in the sketch below. Seems that if I went with the SD amp, the 4 ohm version would be the way to go.

Yes sir. That is how I would do it and adjust the gains/dsr to your liking.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:02 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

All personal preferences and stereo v mono is just another detail that each individual must decide on when they plan their setups. Stereo is a high priority for my personal preference list. How is your personal genre / music list produced and intended to be played?

Bridging in general is another detail that must be considered for your individual priority matrix as those that ride first and hit a parking lot bash once or twice a year will probably consider storage space to be more sacred thus will choose Watts per channel aka watts per square inch of amp space over more amps to potentially make up for the lost channel footprint. Some will also choose a Watts over a "warmer" amp and plan their build around speakers that are inherently warm versus bright. Others will select certain speakers / speaker specs to meet an objective and are inclined to compliment such speakers with warmer amps.

Lots of moving parts in sled audio. No two builds are exactly the same. No two priority lists are the same either. But a shixload of things to consider individually vs blindly following.

T

Last edited by Tailwind; 08-03-2018 at 08:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
WVJarhead (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 08:17 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Both of the SD 800.4’s are a beast. Doesn’t matter which one you go with as long as it has a DSP. Personally I like the 2 ohm version.

The following users liked this post:
WVJarhead (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 08:23 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Both of the SD 800.4’s are a beast. Doesn’t matter which one you go with as long as it has a DSP. Personally I like the 2 ohm version.
Would you run it bridged front to back as in the pic or left to right?

Old 08-03-2018, 08:26 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
Would you run it bridged front to back as in the pic or left to right?
You can run any speaker straight up with that amp. Parallel would be the way to go with multiple speakers. No need to bridge that amp.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:12 AM
WVJarhead
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus

You can run any speaker straight up with that amp. Parallel would be the way to go with multiple speakers. No need to bridge that amp.
With only the four 4ohm speakers currently in my setup, would there be a difference between the 2ohm and 4ohm amp? The only amp specs I could find were on a sales website (network restrictions won't allow access to SD website) and I thought the 2ohm amp was good for 61W x 4 into four ohms and the 4ohm amp was good for 110W x 4 into four ohms. I could be misstaken-wouldn't be the first time.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:13 AM
WVJarhead
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
All personal preferences and stereo v mono is just another detail that each individual must decide on when they plan their setups. Stereo is a high priority for my personal preference list. How is your personal genre / music list produced and intended to be played?

Bridging in general is another detail that must be considered for your individual priority matrix as those that ride first and hit a parking lot bash once or twice a year will probably consider storage space to be more sacred thus will choose Watts per channel aka watts per square inch of amp space over more amps to potentially make up for the lost channel footprint. Some will also choose a Watts over a "warmer" amp and plan their build around speakers that are inherently warm versus bright. Others will select certain speakers / speaker specs to meet an objective and are inclined to compliment such speakers with warmer amps.

Lots of moving parts in sled audio. No two builds are exactly the same. No two priority lists are the same either. But a shixload of things to consider individually vs blindly following.

T
That's what I appreciate about the folks that share differing opinions on this forum! Many ideas I would have never thought of if it werent for the discussions on here.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:21 AM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by WVJarhead
That's what I appreciate about the folks that share differing opinions on this forum! Many ideas I would have never thought of if it werent for the discussions on here.
Definitely plan out your system, then work off your plan. Measure twice cut once. Try to look forward as much as possible. It's every ingredient that makes the end result better. Can not stress this enough.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:41 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Respectfully I disagree.

There are many situations where mono is better than stereo, same goes for running bridged, running 8 ohm speakers, configuring some in stereo others in mono, etc. Hence why a "sound stage" has highs, mids, and lows, and different frequency ranges tend to require different strategies, for example how to get the best sound of a sub is likely different than getting the best sound out of a compression driver. That's why putting things into a box and saying "this is the standard" is tough to do, even more so on bikes where traditionally audio practices don't always translate over. Personally I would never wire the left side and right side together if we're talking a 6.5 and a 6X9 when you have a DSP available to tune each speaker differently to get the best - highs, mids, lows, independently.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:03 AM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 174 Likes on 159 Posts

I wanted to clarify that my statement didn't apply to bass as we all know bass is omnidirectional.

Quick Reply: What to expect