Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decided I don't understand audio need help putting system together

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 06:46 AM
Sputter
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Decided I don't understand audio need help putting system together

I have spent the last few days searching, reading and taking notes but I just can't seem to get a plan put together and I would like some help. I have a 2014 Ultra limited with stock HU, the bike had HT speakers in fairing and rear pods when I bought it, but no amp. I would like to build a budget friendly system in the $1000-$1200 price range. I already have a new RF T400X4ad that 'could be sent back if needed and replaced' I have been trying to figure out how to put speakers in my wet lowers and based on the other thread I'm wondering if I should worry about putting something different in them or just buy the HT pods and be done with it. I've also looked at all the BT set ups and very quickly get to more than $1500 ( closer to $1800 if I want to put the Hertz in lowers) is the best price direct or do vendors have better pricing? I ride 2 up more times than not we listen to a VERY wide variety of music but ultimately I would say I learn towards enjoying warm tones the best. I would appreciate some experienced insight. Would it be better to piece a system together? forget the lowers for now? Bite the bullet and do the BT set up?
Thank you

Old 08-01-2018, 04:29 PM
Sputter
Advanced

I'm still looking for input but a quick update. After several phone calls and a few more hours reading I'm going to forego the idea of speakers in my wet head lowers for now. I quickly get to north of $600 to put a good speaker in that location since I can't relocate my coolant bottle etc. I've looked at and talked with Biketronics this week I know their customer service is out of this world but not sure I can swing the price, even with a very nice military discount. I already have the RF T400Xad it's been bought and paid for so it would need to be sent back etc. Can you guys give me some speaker recommendations for front and TP pods that will pair well with this amp? I'm also considering the RF speaker lids at half the cost of putting speakers in the lowers Is it reasonable to think I can put together a solid system with this amp, speakers ,and the RF lids for $1000? If I bought the lids I would have $500-600 to spend on speakers and the breakout harness, Line levelers etc. What do you think?

Old 08-01-2018, 04:37 PM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts

That amp as nice as it is, will not push fairing, tp and lids. it puts out the same power at 4ohm as well as 2ohm
It does a good job with efficient speakers for a 4 speaker set-up.
Some more people will be bye here shortly to give some more examples, and point you in the right direction.

Last edited by Juice; 08-01-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:39 PM
Sputter
Advanced

That's what I was afraid of, you're gonna make me come off more $'s aren't ya!

Old 08-01-2018, 06:44 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

You could use that RF amp to drive fairing and tp then use a micro in the cb hole to drive lids.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:03 PM
Sputter
Advanced

Would the BT 4180 drove all 6 or will I absolutely need two amps if I go to 6 speakers?

Old 08-01-2018, 08:15 PM
Wmbailey5
Advanced
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I just spent two months trying to figure this out. You can’t. This whole audio decision is so subjective and what sound appeals to you and driven by your budget. This is not my specialty but at some point you pick budget or sound and then move on.

I picked budget at $1,000. My pedestrian set up is a RF TM 400x4AD amp (same as yours) and Polk Audio MM1 652’s in fairing and tour pack with the RFKHD install kit. All in $800. You have the amp so for $400 +/- your set up is considerably better than what you have now. There are better speakers(Hertz is certainly one of them) but you would probably need a more
powerful amp to drive them to get the benefits and then you are going to the next level and needing to spend more money. Back to budget or sound decision

I figure I can swap out fairing Speakers if disappointed and upgrade and find another use for 652’s. I see it as an experiment and not a fatal flaw.

Others can weigh in with advice so good luck.

Bottom line one is the whole

The following users liked this post:
Sputter (08-01-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 08:21 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Sputter
Would the BT 4180 drove all 6 or will I absolutely need two amps if I go to 6 speakers?
Purchase a JL 600/6v2 and call it good.

The following users liked this post:
Sputter (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 08:43 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Purchase a JL 600/6v2 and call it good.
Will the JL 600/6 fit on the stock Rushmore amp tray?

T

Old 08-03-2018, 08:49 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Will the JL 600/6 fit on the stock Rushmore amp tray?

T
Anything is possible my friend. Yeah I’ve seen it fit in several builds. If he doesn’t want to fool with any modifications my next recommendation would be the Stinger SPX700/4. Fits all day long.

Quick Reply: Decided I don't understand audio need help putting system together