Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 05:34 PM
RetAF
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Ultra Limited

We ride with sena sm10s with ear buds and listen to music through the bike speakers. The ear buds act like ear plugs, which helps hear the music at lower volumes while at speed... kind of counter intuitive I know. I experienced this effect on the flight line when wearing ear protection around running jet engines... you could have a near normal conversation with another person wearing hearing protection in that environment. We listen primarily to 80s and 90s metal and pop.. Are there any amp and speaker kits or speaker swaps that would take advantage of our riding style ... more volume and clarity but not audiophile quality? I have a $500 max budget and will wait till after the New York riding season to do the install.

Last edited by RetAF; 07-29-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:59 AM
RetAF
Advanced
Default Still don't need audiophile-level upgrades

Hi everyone: after researching (again) archived 2014+ ultra audio threads, let me refine my questions:

1. Is there any $500 solution - better than OEM volume and clarity?

2. Longer Range: Is there a two stage solution ($500 this year) - good quality, satisfactory FM performance, way better than hogtunes performance - 4 channel system I can install this year and add TP (or lid) speakers the following year?
a. Possibly drive the rear speakers using the internal amp and front speakers with the new amp? - without flashing
b. Drive the crappy HD speakers using new amp - and buy 4 replacements next year (or as soon as the HD speakers blow)

3. I'm not tied to the HU - the GPS isn't great, I don't use the CB or wired intercom, the difficulty in researching upgrades frustrates me, and I can always re-install the HD equipment if I get rid of the bike
a. Is it cost effective (less than $750) to replace the system (without GPS), maintain the handle bar controls, and use the existing wiring and plugs?

Thanks for your patience!

Last edited by RetAF; 07-31-2018 at 01:48 PM. Reason: not finished
Old 08-01-2018, 07:03 AM
RetAF
Advanced

Option 2A - looking for feedback on the approach and part selection:

Parts - I plan to shop other vendors once the parts pass review:
Speakers:
Amazon 621X Amazon 621X
- $107.99
Fairing Adapter:
Amazon - SAHD656 Amazon - SAHD656
– 13.35
Amp:
Amazon - B52 Refurb Amazon - B52 Refurb
– 105.99
Wiring Kit:
Amazon 1000W Install Kit Amazon 1000W Install Kit
Line Leveler (front only) - BT355 - $84.95

The approach - drive fairing Kappa spkrs with B52, BT355, and the rear (fill-in) speakers using the HU. Will this work (sound better than OEM, HTunes, etc at speed., or am I missing something key?
Am I missing mounting hardware?

Old 08-01-2018, 07:52 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by RetAF
Option 2A - looking for feedback on the approach and part selection:

Parts - I plan to shop other vendors once the parts pass review:
Speakers:
Amazon 621X Amazon 621X
- $107.99
Fairing Adapter:
Amazon - SAHD656 Amazon - SAHD656
– 13.35
Amp:
Amazon - B52 Refurb Amazon - B52 Refurb
– 105.99
Wiring Kit:
Amazon 1000W Install Kit Amazon 1000W Install Kit
Line Leveler (front only) - BT355 - $84.95

The approach - drive fairing Kappa spkrs with B52, BT355, and the rear (fill-in) speakers using the HU. Will this work (sound better than OEM, HTunes, etc at speed., or am I missing something key?
Am I missing mounting hardware?
You do not need the adapters for your bike. Those speakers will mount inside your speaker pods. Those adapters are for PreRushmore bikes.

The following users liked this post:
RetAF (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 08:53 AM
RetAF
Advanced

What about the amp...does it need a mounting solution or does it come with everything needed?
Also, the basic plan (2a) is to focus on the fairing speakers to enhance the sound quality - and get more for the $$ spent -- over Hogtunes and approach the quality of the boom upgrade. Is this approach sound?
If my wife and I really like the improvement, the upgrades will stop. If not, I'll purchase a 4 ch amp (B54) and breakout to compliment new rear speakers next year, and sell the BT355 and 2ch amp on the forums to reduce the total cost.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:17 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

All you will need to secure the amp is Velcro. No issues with that.

Here's an extra 2¢....The upgrades that you're doing is going to far surpass the stock system and you WILL want more. My advice if you're on a budget is to take a step back and save a bit more for upgrades for the front that you can leave in place when you want to upgrade the rear. The Infinities are great budget speakers but the fact that they're 2ohm will limit you down the road should you want to upgrade more than just the rear. If front and rear are all you will want you'll be good to go with them. Buy the 4ch amp upfront. But once cry once.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:23 AM
RetAF
Advanced

I still have a couple months of riding left this year...and time to research further. I believe you when you say you WILL want more. Is it pie in the sky to go with 4ohm speakers and wire them in parallel (FL, RL/FR RR)? Another crazy thought...how long will the stock rears last if I power them with the B54 rear channels? Worse case scenario I could purchase the 4ch amp and upgrade the rear spkrs next year...

Old 08-01-2018, 10:44 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Stock rears won't last a day on an amp. As far as paralleling 4ohm speakers, that's always a capability to go that route should you need to. That's what makes going with 4ohm the preferred choice. Amp choice will have to be considered as well if the possibility of paralleling may be in the future.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:29 PM
RetAF
Advanced

Awesome information ... thanks! I'll start reading up on the paralleled systems tonight. Unless the OEM system dies tomorrow, I'm ok doing this over a period of a few months. Would you recommend the same Kappas in the rear locations?

Old 08-03-2018, 06:49 PM
RetAF
Advanced
Default Basic strategy

2ch upgrade, with 4ch amp, and rear speakers and harness next year. What are your thoughts on the build I submitted, but with the B54?

Quick Reply: 2015 Ultra Limited