Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rockford fosgate or j&m?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 04:12 PM
Loeffele
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rockford fosgate or j&m?

I have a 2017 street glide special, am looking for a complete plug and play system for front speakers and rear bag lids. I would like loud and clear, but not just ear piercing highs. I know there is no such thing as bass when it comes to baggers but want the best I can have for this setup. The most I have heard about are the j&m stage 4 or the Rockford fosgate. Thanks for the help guys, and would be open if anyone has suggestions for a better setup.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:40 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

Do some research here and you will find to stay away from JM equipment. The RF rear bag kit is a good buy as it sounds good, easy to install and no need to paint lids. That rear bag "kit" is about the only kit I would recommend. The RF front speaker "kit" is not necessary as you wont use part of it, don't need part of it and pay for what you don't and wont use.

The first thing you will need is a bt 355 line leveler to flatten out the eq curve the stock boom box puts out. A rf tm400x4ad is a good amp but other amps like the stinger spx700x4 JL xd series are also good amps for a 4 channel setup. Speakers are a very personal choice. The rf rear lid kit come with speakers that will surprise you for what they are. The look like paper weights but have a remarkable good sound so the only speaker you will need is fairing speakers. Hertz hcx, infinity kappa's, sony xs-gs, are all viable front speakers. Others will chime in for possible amp/speaker combos as focal have a beast of an amp and good speakers in the K series but again it is personal choice.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:51 PM
Loeffele
4th Gear

Thanks for the response, I’m looking for a plug and play kit with an amp and speakers. If I start breaking it up like that there is no guarantee that everything will work tohether. And or don’t want to start cutting apart factory working, and guessing if speakers will fit. The j&m debacle seems to bounce back and forth depending where u read.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:58 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

With the help here, you will never cut a factory wire or splice into factory parts. Most of the parts suggested here including what I mentioned above do not require cutting or splicing factory wiring. The speakers listed above fit into your existing pods with the exception of the focals.

Plug and play still require pulling the tank, seat, battery terminals speaker pods for speaker replacement, wire replacemet to the speakers so there is really no plug and play set up. Again what the people here do and suggest will never cut into a factory wire harness.

As far as bass goes, a good 6x9 with a good amp can provide some damn good mid bass down to 50hz or so.

Last edited by travelingypsye; 07-21-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:34 PM
Loeffele
4th Gear

How long has the j&m stage 4 been out? I am finding no reviews on this setup, good or bad.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:47 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 621 Posts

i just heard a buddy's RF set up he installed himself on his 18 SG, amp fairing and lid kit, no line leveler, i re-flashed his head unit for him.
I was pleasantly suprised, and the lids had more bottom to them than i would have thought. not enough for me, but we all know by now that i'm a little weird. after tuning the system did sound pretty good, loud and clear, just not as much bottom as i like after the flash and set-up.
i'm also a little biased as i'm a RF dealer also.
m

Old 07-21-2018, 05:52 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,193 Likes on 563 Posts

Like gypsye said there is no need to cut or splice with any components that you pick. It's very easy to get the connectors that tie right into the factory harness and no matter what you're pulling the fairing/tank. Take it from a guy that ran J&M for one of my first set ups, the only thing they make that is worth having in a bike audio system is their batwing amp tray and foam liner for 13 and down road glides. If you absolutely insist on a kit than you should be looking at biketronics. Very easy install but the amp is designed with everything preset, so you're leaving some performance on the table and if you don't like the sound of their amp with whatever speaker you choose (or any "kit" for that matter) you're screwed. They have plenty of clean power, lifetime warranty, phenomenal customer service, but if you want to tweak the sound it's not the setup for you unless you're going to run a DSP.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:36 PM
Msquad
Road Captain
Received 193 Likes on 131 Posts

I had J&M on a bike. Hated it.
I tried the BT line leveler & hated it. I now have a flash.
I have a BT front setup for sale in the classifieds that I'd sell for lots cheaper than I'm asking. All things I shouldn't admit but I'm into honesty.
I have the RF setup with Hertz in the rear. Sounds awesome. The RF 6x9s are pretty good though but I liked my hertz better. Selling the RF 6x9s too.
Bottom line. I'd do the RF setup again if I had a new bike & stay away from line levelers. Take it from someone that's already tried a bunch o stuff.
Then adjust amp according to above sticky.

The following users liked this post:
Loeffele (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 10:22 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Please...for the love of all things audio...stay the hell away from anything J&M audio except for their amp tray.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:48 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
Please...for the love of all things audio...stay the hell away from anything J&M audio except for their amp tray.
Why hasn’t someone else copied that so we can just forget about jm all together?

Quick Reply: Rockford fosgate or j&m?