Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker and Amp combo advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 04:49 PM
CVMA Sooner
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker and Amp combo advice

Hello All,

Recently got a 2015 Electra Glide Classic Low Rushmore model. It has the factory setup of 2 speakers in the fairing and 2 speakers extending from the trunk under the passenger backrest. I want to upgrade all 4 speakers and 1 amp to drive all speakers that I can install in the fairing. I am not interested in installing any additional speakers anywhere else. Just looking for the best sound I can get with the above setup. I am partial to Polk Audio but sound quality is most important so if something works better so be it. This bike is my daily rider and I do a lot of interstate riding. I listen to a lot of the Doobie Brothers style of music and like to hear the rhythm guitar and horns but looking for a good overall balance. My budget is $1000.00. Thanks, CVMA Sooner.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:01 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

$1000 bucks is a good budget for what you want to do. Balance is tough to achieve on a 4 speaker system unless 6x9's, 8's or 10's are involved. Four 6.5 speakers won't give you very much balance.

That said. Your front stage needs to be as loud as possible and the rear pods will be mostly fill. You will barely hear those speakers on the interstate. If you ride two up you won't hear em at all. Most of your power should be dedicated to the front stage with what you are trying to accomplish. So what you need to decide at this point is what type of speaker you want to go with.
Coaxial, Components or Pro Audio speakers for the front stage. The rear speakers will have to be coaxial's. The Polk MM652 speakers are perfect there. My amp recommendation is the JL 400/4v2 or the JL 600/6v2 if you want to upgrade later on down the road.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:14 AM
CVMA Sooner
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info Gannicus. Forgive my ignorance but I know what Coaxial and Component speakers are. What is a Pro Audio speaker and can you give me an example of one so I can research it?

Thanks,

Old 07-10-2018, 09:32 AM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...-vs-hertz.html

This is a great thread to learn about pro-audio. Hope this helps and will give you a few more question to ask too.

The following users liked this post:
Gannicus (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 01:35 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

I am not interested in installing any additional speakers anywhere else.
Forgive me for being the turd in the punch bowl but you will have a much fuller front sound stage if you add speakers in the lowers. I went with a full system upgrade on my Ultra Classics with just speakers in the stock four locations and was not satisfied after riding with it a bit. I could make it loud enough to hear with no problem, but it was a piercing loud instead of an easy to hear loud if that makes any sense. As soon as I added speakers in the lowers on the rear channel where I could balance the volume of them with the speakers in the fairing it was much easier to actually "listen" to. Being able to make the speakers in the lowers louder to compliment the ones in the fairing made a huge difference.

After getting used to the four speakers in front of me I wouldn't want a sled audio system without them. It truly made that big of a difference and didn't break the bank.