Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding XM radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 08:19 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,497 Likes on 1,075 Posts
Default Adding XM radio

So quick question about adding XM/Sirius to my harley.

Is the OEM XM module from HD the only option? I realize there are XM receiver units you can buy, but that's an external receiver and wouldn't utilize the handlebar controls. Was hoping there were other module options that would function the same as the HD one.

Thanks.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:23 AM
luigit
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i stream XM from the app on my iphone. hand controls work too. of course i have unlimited data so thats not a worry for me

Old 07-06-2018, 08:28 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by luigit
i stream XM from the app on my iphone. hand controls work too. of course i have unlimited data so thats not a worry for me
Well duh.....didn't even think of that. Well I did, but didn't think the controls would work I guess. At least not full functionality.

I know when I listen to music from my phone, there are a few functions I wish were there. Though not sure its possible. Like being able to move through different albums/artists selections like in a menu type format.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:33 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,511 Likes on 10,747 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65

Is the OEM XM module from HD the only option? I realize there are XM receiver units you can buy, but that's an external receiver and wouldn't utilize the handlebar controls. Was hoping there were other module options that would function the same as the HD one.

Thanks.
Best I recall, HD had the software in the radio already. I had to buy either an antenna that went under the fairing (not visible while riding) and possibly a module to receive the signal and send it to the radio.

I just keep moving the stuff I bot from this bike to the next each time I get a new bike.

BuzzCap7

Old 07-06-2018, 08:47 AM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 592 Likes on 311 Posts

If you are going to stream from your phone over an Internet connection, you do not need to pay XM.

Amazon Prime comes with Amazon Music included and you can stream just what you want, like it's your own personal data bank of music. Can even download music to your phone and play it back when you have no internet connection. You can download entire playlists (at home for example over WiFi) and have hours and hours of music without an Internet connection. You can use Alexa hands free to call up songs, or artists. Handlebar controls work just like it's an MP3 player, and songs show up on the boom screen.

Another alternative is IHeartRadio. This is a free Internet music streaming app that can play any IHeartRadio radio station or playlists that they have created like Classic Rock, Blues and so on. Works with Harley handlebar controls and shows songs on the boom screen.

The only reason to use the XM app is if you already have XM account and they let you sign in on your bike.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:05 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by r0de_runr

If you are going to stream from your phone over an Internet connection, you do not need to pay XM.

Amazon Prime comes with Amazon Music included and you can stream just what you want, like it's your own personal data bank of music. Can even download music to your phone and play it back when you have no internet connection. You can download entire playlists (at home for example over WiFi) and have hours and hours of music without an Internet connection. You can use Alexa hands free to call up songs, or artists. Handlebar controls work just like it's an MP3 player, and songs show up on the boom screen.

Another alternative is IHeartRadio. This is a free Internet music streaming app that can play any IHeartRadio radio station or playlists that they have created like Classic Rock, Blues and so on. Works with Harley handlebar controls and shows songs on the boom screen.

The only reason to use the XM app is if you already have XM account and they let you sign in on your bike.
I have XM in my truck, so was thinking of adding it to the bike. Not for more money though.

I do have Prime, but thought the song list was limited for music, unless you upgrade. I also have iHeartradio, slacker, and pandora, but as far as I know, youre limited to just volumn control and song skip. You cant change stations or artists without using your phone, which I keep in the storage compartment when riding.

I'm fine with that though. Just wondering if there were better, cheaper options than paying the over priced amount for the HD XM module.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:08 AM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 592 Likes on 311 Posts

I have XM in my truck, so was thinking of adding it to the bike. Not for more money though.

I do have Prime, but thought the song list was limited for music, unless you upgrade. I also have iHeartradio, slacker, and pandora, but as far as I know, youre limited to just volumn control and song skip. You cant change stations or artists without using your phone, which I keep in the storage compartment when riding.

I'm fine with that though. Just wondering if there were better, cheaper options than paying the over priced amount for the HD XM module.
The song list is limited, but is still millions and millions of songs. Pick an artist and you can see what is included and what requires upgrade.
Yes, volume and song skip, I change playlists at a stop or fuel or food.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:32 AM
Stache18
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Biggest difference between streaming and the built in module is full control and signal. On mine I don't and can't interact with the phone when I'm rolling. So changing stations etc is way different working blind than on the screen.

Easy example is Spotify. I can stream a Playlist but need to pick it at a stop, tuck the phone away and then that's the list until the next stop. I can skip etc through the handlebars but not switch lists.

Not good or bad just different depending on your likes and dislikes. Each app and platform have their own nuances you may like or not.

I have music ADD so I like to change it up a lot and I'm too lazy to build my own big lists.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:38 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks.
One thing to look into might be the Weather overlays available from Sirius XM weather, which integrate with the H-D GPS navigation. Supposedly the H-D GPS will route you around thunderstorms, etc. in conjunction with the XM weather data. I haven't used it yet, but past touring experience suggests that - if it works - this sort of feature might be worth having XM for if you do a lot of touring.

The following users liked this post:
teedoff65 (07-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 12:48 PM
n5tf
Tourer
Received 184 Likes on 67 Posts

I had the XM weather service on my previous bike and it was great for trips.

The following users liked this post:
Doc Intrepid (07-06-2018)

Quick Reply: Adding XM radio