Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amplifier suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 09:18 AM
Bugsy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Amplifier suggestions

Hi everyone,

I've been looking into adding an amplifier to my bike recently. It's a 2012 Ultra Limited with the stock head unit and Polk MM651's up front and Polk MM521's rear with the Polk crossovers on F & R. I'd like to have some more volume on the highway, and better sound overall. I listen to CDs, Pandora / iHeart via Bluetooth from my phone (esinkin BT adapter into the AUX input) and the FM radio. I looked into adding an amp a few years ago but never got around to doing it. In researching it recently, I've found that a lot of the popular/recommended names have changed, effectively putting me back to square one.

My question is, what is recommended for a good amp that won't give a lot of FM radio interference? Is interference even an issue anymore with the current crop of class D amps? If I remember correctly, the Polk's are good for 100W continuous with 200W peak. I'm not looking at expanding the system any further, but I might swap the speakers out if it'll help a lot.

Thanks!

Last edited by Bugsy; 06-29-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:34 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 368 Posts

I am extremely happy with the Focal FDP sport amp in my bike. i'm sure there are other options though.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:43 PM
Bugsy
Cruiser

Thanks Mike! From what I've read about the Focal FDP Sport everyone likes it a lot. There's a great review at http://www.pasmag.com/car-audio/test...plifier-review. I'm concerned that it's too powerful for my speakers. At 250 watts per channel 2 ohm, I think it'll blow out my speakers in a short time. Are you using any kind of signal processor or crossover?

Old 06-30-2018, 08:36 AM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts

Yes that thing will eat those speaker alive. Are you partial to those speakers? What budget you working with?

Old 06-30-2018, 09:17 AM
Bugsy
Cruiser

I'm not totally stuck on keeping the speakers, but they sound pretty good and I'd rather not spend the cash on new ones if I don't have to. As for my budget, I wasn't looking to spend thousands, but I do realize decent equipment costs money. I was hoping to keep an amp purchase & install under $500, but I'm flexible on that. If I need to upgrade my speakers, I 'll do so, the Polks I've got are four (or maybe five) years old by now . I'll do my own install, so labor is cheap... "Buy once, cry once" is a good motto I've seen here before and I'm not averse to spending a bit more money now to get a product that will last me a while and will sound good. I'd like to get some better sound at highway speeds, not interested in being the center of attention at the Wednesday bike nights...

I've been looking at the RF TM400X4ad & JL XD400/4v2 because they've gotten good reviews here, have decent power, accept speaker level inputs, and there's very little chatter (if any at all) about FM radio interference, which is a concern for me.

Thanks!

Old 06-30-2018, 09:26 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Bugsy
I'm not totally stuck on keeping the speakers, but they sound pretty good and I'd rather not spend the cash on new ones if I don't have to. As for my budget, I wasn't looking to spend thousands, but I do realize decent equipment costs money. I was hoping to keep an amp purchase & install under $500, but I'm flexible on that. If I need to upgrade my speakers, I 'll do so, the Polks I've got are four (or maybe five) years old by now . I'll do my own install, so labor is cheap... "Buy once, cry once" is a good motto I've seen here before and I'm not averse to spending a bit more money now to get a product that will last me a while and will sound good. I'd like to get some better sound at highway speeds, not interested in being the center of attention at the Wednesday bike nights...

I've been looking at the RF TM400X4ad & JL XD400/4v2 because they've gotten good reviews here, have decent power, accept speaker level inputs, and there's very little chatter (if any at all) about FM radio interference, which is a concern for me.

Thanks!
Have a look at the speakers that are being used with the JL 400. U will see a trend.

If ur in cash saving mode, there is nothing wrong with the budget amps like the 1000d.

T

Old 06-30-2018, 12:33 PM
GLW Mike
Club Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Another option, but cant comment on FM reception, since i dont listen to FM.
The Polk 652's sounded good with the Stinger amp i had.

Stinger SPX4x700 amp (4x100 rms @4 ohm) $260 (ebay)
Polk Mm1 652 2sets $240 total (Amazon or Crutchfield $119 a set)

$500

Last edited by GLW Mike; 06-30-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:50 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by GLW Mike
Another option, but cant comment on FM reception, since i dont listen to FM.
The Polk 652's sounded good with the Stinger amp i had.

Stinger SPX4x700 amp (4x100 rms @4 ohm) $260 (ebay)
Polk Mm1 652 2sets $240 total (Amazon or Crutchfield $119 a set)

$500
Stinger is good on fm.

Old 06-30-2018, 03:42 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
Stinger is good on fm.
Do you still get some signal loss? Or are the Rushmore radios unaffected?

Old 06-30-2018, 03:43 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,808 Likes on 1,362 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes300
I am extremely happy with the Focal FDP sport amp in my bike. i'm sure there are other options though.
+1 Same here, nice clean crisp audio.

Quick Reply: Amplifier suggestions