Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amplifier suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 06:32 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by InthewindMN

Do you still get some signal loss? Or are the Rushmore radios unaffected?
I didn't have any signal loss but I only listen to a couple of different radio stations.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:57 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Bugsy
Thanks Mike! From what I've read about the Focal FDP Sport everyone likes it a lot. There's a great review at http://www.pasmag.com/car-audio/test...plifier-review. I'm concerned that it's too powerful for my speakers. At 250 watts per channel 2 ohm, I think it'll blow out my speakers in a short time. Are you using any kind of signal processor or crossover?
just the BT line levelers, no x overs running the new coaxal Polks in the fairing and lids, sounds awesome! The amp has plenty of adjustment for my needs

Last edited by mikes300; 07-01-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:07 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

That focal sport is a beast but can be tamed.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:13 PM
Bugsy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Have a look at the speakers that are being used with the JL 400. U will see a trend.

If ur in cash saving mode, there is nothing wrong with the budget amps like the 1000d.

T
Hi TW -- maybe I'm blind, but I'm not noticing a trend of speakers with the RF amp. Can you be more specific? Thanks!

Old 07-14-2018, 09:19 AM
Bugsy
Cruiser

I installed the Rockford Fosgate TM400X4ad amp last night using their RFKHD9813 installation kit. Other than a few minor details, I was very impressed with the install kit. There was a typo in the "Tools needed" section - they call for a 5/32 allen wrench, when they meant 5/64 allen. No big deal. It would have been nice if they told how the kit intended the wires to be run, but I think I figured out how everything fit best. They should have included some flex loom to be used where the wires were likely to chafe, but also not a big deal. I also thought the instructions for the amp could use some more detail on how to tune/adjust it for whatever setup you're running. I found some help online in their videos. On a positive note, the bracket is well made and fits perfectly! The wire harnesses are all cut to the proper length, and I only had to trim a little bit for a clean install. Everything is well marked and it'd be hard to mix up what goes where. Very well done RF!

Back to the amp instructions, I overlooked the 1st step when adjusting the clip levels where it says to unplug the speakers before adjusting. I just might have fried one of my rear speakers, but after it cooled down, it's still working and there's no visible damage. Time will tell how long it's gonna last.

After getting it all back together I'm very impressed with the sound! I haven't gotten out on the road yet, but I'm sure it's going to sound way better than it did without the amp. It's definitely loud and clear! I'm not getting any interference on the FM radio either, which I'm very pleased about.

Any speaker recommendation? LOL

Thanks for everyone's help! Pictures to follow...

Last edited by Bugsy; 07-14-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:24 AM
Bugsy
Cruiser

Pics attached

Old 07-15-2018, 11:52 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Hi TW -- maybe I'm blind, but I'm not noticing a trend of speakers with the RF amp. Can you be more specific? Thanks!
The reason you don't see a trend with the RF amp is not that many here run them as they are a bit more priced than other amps in the same wattage category. There are a bunch of speakers that sound good with that amp as it is so easy to tune. I am currently running this amp also.

Hertz hcx 165
Arc 602 moto
Sony xs-gs 1621
wdx 6 moto
polk mm652
infinity kappa 62.11I

These are all good speakers with that amp. I personally like the hertz and the sonys the best as I have run them all with that amp.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:16 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Tailwind was talking about the JL amps used with Pro Audio speakers, not RF amps!

Old 07-16-2018, 09:08 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
Tailwind was talking about the JL amps used with Pro Audio speakers, not RF amps!
Thanks Mike! The JL amps being used are damn efficient at 75w advertised paired with damn efficient Pro Audio speakers but I'm not sure I would build a conventional non Pro Audio system around that amp. Not all watts are created equal but 75 Watts ain't 150 watts on a 92 SPL speaker.

T

Old 07-22-2018, 07:58 PM
Jsquires4
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Audio

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Thanks Mike! The JL amps being used are damn efficient at 75w advertised paired with damn efficient Pro Audio speakers but I'm not sure I would build a conventional non Pro Audio system around that amp. Not all watts are created equal but 75 Watts ain't 150 watts on a 92 SPL speaker.

T
Tailwind I’ve heard your one of the best on this forum when it comes to audio. So if you had a 17 SGS and were going to do fairing and lids. What would you do for a set up? Let’s give it a budget of 2K lol..

Quick Reply: Amplifier suggestions