Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Static Noise From Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 07:59 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts
Default Static Noise From Speakers

I recently bought a 1999 Ultra Classic. The stereo makes a static noise through the speakers. The noise gets worse when RPMs increase. When the motor is turned off, the static goes away and the stereo sounds fine.

The bike has an H-D Enhanced Sound System Amp (#77179-01). When I jiggle the wiring harness where it connects to the amp, I can replicate the static. I unplugged the connector and sprayed it with contact cleaner, but this didn't help. Is there a way to bypass the amp so I can make sure it’s not the culprit?

The motor has Screamin' Eagle spark plug wires. Are these resistor wires? Can they cause electrical interference with the stereo or amp?

The bike is super clean and all stock with 41k miles. I bought it at an estate sale hosted by an auction company. The only history I know is based on some dealer service receipts I found in a saddle bag. The receipts identify new tires, cam chain tensioners, and cam bearings.

I haven’t had time to open up the fairing and check wiring connections. Any idea what might be causing the static?

Last edited by Geoff; 06-27-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:07 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Anybody?

Old 06-30-2018, 03:43 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
Anybody?
since it is a full factory installed system i would contact your local HD Dealer and ask them for any info, explain the issue, some will offer suggestions over the phone

Old 07-02-2018, 09:35 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

I recently bought a 1999 Ultra Classic. The stereo makes a static noise through the speakers. The noise gets worse when RPMs increase. When the motor is turned off, the static goes away and the stereo sounds fine.

The bike has an H-D Enhanced Sound System Amp (#77179-01). When I jiggle the wiring harness where it connects to the amp, I can replicate the static. I unplugged the connector and sprayed it with contact cleaner, but this didn't help. Is there a way to bypass the amp so I can make sure it’s not the culprit?

The motor has Screamin' Eagle spark plug wires. Are these resistor wires? Can they cause electrical interference with the stereo or amp?

The bike is super clean and all stock with 41k miles. I bought it at an estate sale hosted by an auction company. The only history I know is based on some dealer service receipts I found in a saddle bag. The receipts identify new tires, cam chain tensioners, and cam bearings.

I haven’t had time to open up the fairing and check wiring connections. Any idea what might be causing the static?
What amp is in there? Noise in the system normally means poor ground connections or defective RCA's

Old 07-03-2018, 07:59 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gannicus
What amp is in there? Noise in the system normally means poor ground connections or defective RCA's
Amp is an H-D Enhanced Sound System #77179-01. The radio (and amp) on a '99 Ultra use a wiring harness. There are no RCA connectors.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:55 PM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member

is there an LED headlight?

Old 07-04-2018, 10:37 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Stock headlight, no LED.

I ordered a ground loop isolator from Cruthfield. When I open up the fairing to install it, I'm going to first run a ground wire from the radio to the battery (long test wire) to determine if I have a bad ground.

My my bike has Screamin Eagle spark plug wires. They're suppression type wires. Can SE wires cause electrical interference?

The SE wires came on the bike. I don't know if there was static before they were installed. I bought the bike from an auction, so I don't know it's history.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:18 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member

it very well could be the plug wires

Old 07-05-2018, 05:28 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Amp is an H-D Enhanced Sound System #77179-01. The radio (and amp) on a '99 Ultra use a wiring harness. There are no RCA connectors.
****** that stuff out there brother and go with an aftermarket system.

Old 07-11-2018, 04:01 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Turns out the cause of static in my speakers was a bad amp--not a poor ground, interference from SE plug wires or other. I eliminated the amp and returned to the stock setup. While I had the outer fairing off the bike I installed a pair of Polk speakers. I don't listen to the stereo much, so stock is good enough for me.

Quick Reply: Static Noise From Speakers